What was so wrong with The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management?

jbgdst

Earning My Ears
I have seen the Under New Management version of the Tiki Room as well as the original in Disneyland and the edited version currently in WDW and a video of the Stitch one in Tokyo. I don't quite get what people take such an issue with in the Under New Management version. I think it's funny and entertaining, albeit with dated music, but just because something has dated qualities to it doesn't mean it is automatically bad. When I saw it I was engaged and entertained, just not to the extent of the original version in Disneyland or the edited version of that in WDW, but I didn't think Under New Management was bad. Will someone please explain to me what was so bad about the UNM version of the show?

Many reported not liking Iago's voice (Gilbert Gottfried.)

Many reported not liking Iago's voice (Gilbert Gottfried.)

I can understand that, his voice isn't exactly aurally pleasing, but I was hoping for the issues people had with the content and storyline of the attraction.

There were many fans of Walt's original show who thought that the UNM version was disrespectful, what with Iago calling the tiki birds "boring" and whatnot. They also thought it was too sarcastic, turning what was formerly a gentle singing bird show into one with filled with insults. Others objected to the use of pop songs like Gloria Estefan's "Conga" which didn't match the Polynesian setting. And there were parents who thought that the goddess was a bit too scary for smaller children.

There were many fans of Walt's original show who thought that the UNM version was disrespectful, what with Iago calling the tiki birds "boring" and whatnot. They also thought it was too sarcastic, turning what was formerly a gentle singing bird show into one with filled with insults. Others objected to the use of pop songs like Gloria Estefan's "Conga" which didn't match the Polynesian setting. And there were parents who thought that the goddess was a bit too scary for smaller children.

I can see why people would think that it is too sarcastic (though I don't get why it would be disrespectful. Walt is not exempt from criticism and what Iago did in the show was in character), but I am a genuinely sarcastic person and happen to love sarcastic and dry humor, so the show's comedy did suit my tastes, but comedy is subjective. I do like the music in the show as well, and it fits the situations they are applied to well, but they definitely could have benefited from some more Polynesian accompaniment. I can see the goddess as being scary as well. That thing definitely startled me when I first saw the show.

I think it was the point that the Under New Managment was not as good as the DL version that made people dislike it (as it was a wsted oppurtunity to see the good version). I don't think Iago or Zazoo added anything to it (compared to the DL version)

Can someone really be genuinely sarcastic?

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

I have seen the Under New Management version of the Tiki Room as well as the original in Disneyland and the edited version currently in WDW and a video of the Stitch one in Tokyo. I don't quite get what people take such an issue with in the Under New Management version. I think it's funny and entertaining, albeit with dated music, but just because something has dated qualities to it doesn't mean it is automatically bad. When I saw it I was engaged and entertained, just not to the extent of the original version in Disneyland or the edited version of that in WDW, but I didn't think Under New Management was bad. Will someone please explain to me what was so bad about the UNM version of the show?

Gilbert Godfrey's voice is extremely uncomfortable after the first few minutes. The UNM version was also sarcastic and a little insulting towards the original show. In addition, as with all redesigns of a classic attraction, people tend to want the historical and nostalgic memories from when the rides opened. I like the old/current version. My kids never really liked either so I guess it depends on your age.

It was just an abrasive experience which was not the original intent of this attraction. Godfried had also run into some personal problems that could not have made Disney feel supportive of the idea to maintain his presence. So happy with the Tiki Room now.

I never really thought there was anything "wrong" with it, just that it was not as good as what it replaced. The original Tiki Tiki Tiki Room song being the highlight, was sorely missed (though they played just the beginning). I think it is a good example of how not every attraction needs to have one of the animated characters shoehorned into it.

I had been to WDW several times when the original show was there but I never saw it. My first experience was at Disneyland in 2010. I thought the show was great.

Later that year, I took a friend to the WDW Tiki Room. It was his first Disney attraction ever. I actually felt slightly embarrassed that this was the first thing I exposed him to.

I like Iago and I like Gilbert Gottfried so I'm not sure exactly why I disliked UNM. Maybe his voice was a little TOO abrasive. Maybe I was caught off guard by how different it was from the original.

I like Iago and I like Gilbert Gottfried so I'm not sure exactly why I disliked UNM. Maybe his voice was a little TOO abrasive. Maybe I was caught off guard by how different it was from the original.

I feel the same way about Iago/Gottfried, although I am ambivilent toward Zazoo (neither like nor dislike). I also can't really put my finger on why I didn't like UNM, but I really didn't like it at all. Sure, the original is corny, but fun.

I miss having Pele come up out of the floor and look scary. The rest of it, not so much.

For me, I just like the more sedate "original" version. The whole UNM thing seemed annoying. The Tiki Room became a "repulsion" rather than an "attraction"

I never really thought there was anything "wrong" with it, just that it was not as good as what it replaced. The original Tiki Tiki Tiki Room song being the highlight, was sorely missed (though they played just the beginning). I think it is a good example of how not every attraction needs to have one of the animated characters shoehorned into it.

I agree with this. Although I did think a little bit of GG went a loooong way. But I felt like they stuck the characters in there to tie it to the movies and it was just unnecessary. Also, my dad loved the Tiki Room. As cheesy and corny as it might be, it was one of his favorites. He died when I was a senior in college and I like to go to the show because he loved it so much. The UNM version wasn't the show he loved, so I really despised it.

I never really thought there was anything "wrong" with it, just that it was not as good as what it replaced.

That is exactly what I think, but I know that many people think that there are things seriously wrong with the attraction that made it not only inferior to the original (but still superior to the Stitch version, at least in my opinion), but a complete abomination to WDI.

I didn't know there was a Stitch version. I didn't it think it was possible for anything to be worse then the UNM version.

Sorry. I'm in the camp that was absolutely upset with UNM. As a PP said, not every attraction needs a character shoe-horned into it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter