What trendy, over used, look at me I'm so witty phrases annoy you?

Super, everything has to be super. It can't be just good or fine or cute or ok. It has to be super good, super fine, super cute or super ok. My guess is that it comes form the under 30 age who grew up in a "super" time of plenty and every thing has to be the biggest and the best. Because that's what my age of parents gave our children. The best.

I don't hear it as much, but "pushing the proverbial envelope" got on my nerves. It really wasn't that it was trendy with the young people, it was that I heard it on the news several times a week as if it made the newscaster sound educated.

I'm sorry this goes against the intent of the thread, but I heard a new one I liked. One of the supervisors was giving an employee here some extra work to do, and the employee joked, "I guess I'll be taking your picture off my piano."

I'm assuming this is along the lines of something I said the other day, where I told a co-worker that I'm probably 'off someone's Christmas card list'. ;)

My 11 yo DD says these and it frustrates me.

I dated a guy who would regularly say "Oye Vay" and that phrase helped pin the lid on the coffin of our relationship.

Last week while interviewing a candidate for our office a lady used air quotes throughout the entire interview. If it had only been a few times we could have looked past it, but not when answering every question and multiple times within it.

Both of these made me laugh out loud.

I don’t know how trendy it is, probably more just local vernacular, but I’d be thrilled if I never heard “wicked” again.

"At the end of the day"
Now, the problem is that while I am tired of hearing it, there is some validity to the statement. I wish my boss would come up with a more creative way to say At the end of the day. I use "The Net Net".
"Thinking outside the box"
Way overused, really never did figure out what the definition was.

"I was only joking" when you know damn well they meant what they were sating.

I have a coworker who does this constantly. Makes rude comments then says “I was only joking” or screws something up in front of the boss and says “I was only joking”

I hate the word hipster. I've heard people actually say that about themselves with pride.

I kinda like "Netflix & chill," because, either way you're going w/ it, it's a good time.

I also admit to using "I know, right?" or, really most of the time, I'll say or write just "right?!" I like "cray cray" as well - it's become so much more descriptive in the vernacular than simply "crazy".

"She is cray cray." "I know, right?!"

The phrase that really bugs me is "sorry - not sorry" because the person saying it is not sorry at all, & it's really rather a passive aggressive comment to make in conjunction w/ whatever else the person was saying to cause him/her to be "sorry - not sorry".

I also can. not. stand "butt hurt".

Last edited:
I kinda like "Netflix & chill," because, either way you're going w/ it, it's a good time.

I also admit to using "I know, right?" or, really most of the time, I'll say or write just "right?!" I like "cray cray" as well - it's become so much descriptive in the vernacular than simply "crazy".

"She is cray cray." "I know, right?!"

The phrase that really bugs me is "sorry - not sorry" because the person saying it is not sorry at all, & it's really rather a passive aggressive comment to make in conjunction w/ whatever else the person was saying to cause him/her to be "sorry - not sorry".

I also can. not. stand "butt hurt".
How do you feel about butt ugly?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter