What to eat when you have no sense of taste.

Disney loving Iowan

DIS Veteran
I hope this is ok to post here. My DH has had one heck of a year. He has had to endure surgery for 2 brain tumors which were thankfully benign and then they discovered a tumor in his appendix. It was quite a different type of tumor and he had to have major surgery for it and one dose of chemo. This has left him without a sense of taste. He is having a really hard time with this. He has an appetite and wants to eat but since nothing has a taste it is awful to him. The only things he has been eating is yogurt and drinking ensure and gatorade. He is very frustrated. Has anyone else gone through this and if so do you have any suggestions on what kind of foods he can eat that may have some type of flavor?

Very sorry to hear this about your hubby. A tough year for sure. I don't have any suggestions as to what to prepare and eat. With what he is taking in, sounds like he is getting the nutrients and calories he needs. Does he have any forecast as to when this lack of taste might be over?

You might ask on the community board as to if any folks there who have had the COVID and loss of taste, what they may have eaten during that time. I do understand that the loss of taste, along with loss of smell, is a very common COVID symptom.

Wishing your hubby well, and soon, Disney loving Iowan.

Maybe some ideas here

Very sorry to hear this about your hubby. A tough year for sure. I don't have any suggestions as to what to prepare and eat. With what he is taking in, sounds like he is getting the nutrients and calories he needs. Does he have any forecast as to when this lack of taste might be over?

You might ask on the community board as to if any folks there who have had the COVID and loss of taste, what they may have eaten during that time. I do understand that the loss of taste, along with loss of smell, is a very common COVID symptom.

Wishing your hubby well, and soon, Disney loving Iowan.

Maybe some ideas here
Thank you. You are right he is at least getting the nutrients he needs he is just so hungry. They haven't said how long till his taste will come back but the normal recovery time is 3 months until he is back to normal so I guess it may be that long. I appreciate your advice and well wishes!!

I’m sorry for everything your husband has and is Going through, that is a tough year for sure.
I agree with the previous posters, he does seem to be getting good nutrition, when my MIL was going through Chemo, we tried a lot of mixed things, oatmeal I can remember her really liking, we added fruits to it, and lots of fiber.

I hope the road ahead is much easier for you all, you have had a tough one. ❤.
and I wanted to mention, I absolutely love your screen name.

Last edited:
All the healthy stuff I can't stand the smell/taste of... I'm looking at you Brussel sprouts.

All the healthy stuff I can't stand the smell/taste of... I'm looking at you Brussel sprouts.
I’m sorry for everything your husband has and is Going through, that is a tough here for sure.
I agree with the previous posters, he does seem to be getting good nutrition, when my MIL was going through Chemo, we tried a lot of mixed things, oatmeal I can remember her really liking, we added fruits to it, and lots of fiber.

I hope the road ahead is much easier for you all, you have had a tough one. ❤.
and I wanted to mention, I absolutely love your screen name.
Thank you! Are you from Iowa? I actually live in AZ now.

Try miracle fruit it enhances taste buds. You could eat a lemon and it would taste like lemonade. They can be expensive but you can find them on Amazon.

Try miracle fruit it enhances taste buds. You could eat a lemon and it would taste like lemonade. They can be expensive but you can find them on Amazon.

Miracle Fruit is also grown in Listen to the Land--or at least I saw it there in September 2020. Next time you ride, they are usually on the left towards the end of the greenhouses.

Miracle Fruit is also grown in Listen to the Land--or at least I saw it there in September 2020. Next time you ride, they are usually on the left towards the end of the greenhouses.
Yes you are right 😊. We did the behind the seeds tour and discussed their miracle plant. I wished we could have tried a berry, but we were not allowed. I highly recommend the behind the seeds tour it was neat and not too expensive.

This may or may not help, but my mom has lost a lot of her sense of taste from Parkinson's disease. to add to that she is on a bit of a "bland" diet for another issue that came up and she's been trying to find things she enjoys.
Weirdly, cranberry sauce that you typically have around Thanksgiving seems to provide some flavor. She normally adds that to her dinner. Raspberry seedless jam also helps too.
For "dessert" she's been making blueberry muffins which also have flavor.
Seems like berries work for her, maybe that will help!

Hope this might help give some new options!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter