• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do with camcorders and glasses on rides?

blizzard2

Earning My Ears
OK, I know it's a dumb question, but it's been years since I've been to any amusement park! What do you do with all your "stuff" that might get thrown around or WET (camcorder) when you ride, if all in your party ride together? Also, what about glasses on rollercoasters - do they stay on??

We usually carry a backpack. It's easy to throw your stuff into and you can hook the straps around your legs on rides so it doesn't fly off. Maybe you could stick the camcorder in a big ziploc inside the backpack. I'd take the glasses of - last thing you need to deal with at WDW is broken glasses.

Get a strap to hold your eyeglasses on. Be sure the clips hold the back ends securely.

Be careful about straps with metal links, occasionally a link has a gap that can cause parts to separate. Using a needle nose pliers you can tighten up the link.

Or, under the KISS principle, don't buy straps with metal links or consisting of chain.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

I never go to the world w/o a backpack. Colleen's suggestion about wrapping the straps is practically failsafe. I would also recommend a plastic bag for the camcorder, although I will say I once successfully captured a ride on Splash Mountain w/ use of bags on the hills. As far as sunglasses go, I once lost a pair somewhere on Thunder Mt. but was pleased to retrieve them at the end of the day at lost and found! So I'd recommend stashing them in a bag just to be on the safe side.

We have a Sony digital 8 video camera, not one of the super tiny ones, and we put it in a ziploc bag. I could even film through the bag on some of the wet rides. We each had a fanny pack to boot.

Totally agree about taking the backpack. I go solo with 3 small children, and really put the BP to good use!

In my vast experience (have gotten this down to an art!!), be sure to pack a bag large enough for your whole BP in case you get caught in a downpour, and I also keep things I definitely don't want to get wet inside the BP (autograph books, camera,...)in individual bags.

Last year I finally discovered a great item to help me with the problem of hauling this heavy backpack between parks (where I attach to stroller with those locking ties). I take one of those lightweight, folding luggage carts, put my small cooler with water, etc... on bottom, then the heavier BP on top, and a small light one to take on rides with things not okay to leave on stroller, and strap them on. This worked out great! I really hate that backpack on my back all the time, and with 3 kids our cargo can get pretty extensive!!

P.S. If you use the locking plastic ties, don't forget a small pair of cutters to remove!!

I put my glasses (sunglasses) in my shirt and hook them through my bra (in my cleavage). Works great! Havent' lost a pair yet!

My DH wore his glasses on everything, even RnR! I was nervous that they would fall off, but the never did (thank goodness :))

I used to take my glasses off and put them in a fanny pack. But in recent years I wear them on everything. I realized you can use physics to your advantage. As long as you face forwards and don't turn your head sideways at high speeds, the wind will actually help keep your glasses on your face. None of the rides jerk side-to-side enough to cause you to involuntarily turn your head. Also, keep things like hands away from your face. One time I tried to hold my glasses on with a hand and the fact that my arm and body moved independantly almost caused my hand to jerk my glasses off my face.

keep a rain poncho in a ziploc bag, and throw it on over your camcorder bag/etc before getting wet on Splash Mtn. and you should be in good shape.
BF wears glasses and didn't have any trouble at all with his glasses last year, without special straps or anything, and we rode a lot of the rides.

I wore my glasses on all the rides last year without a problem. Ziploc bags for stuff you don't want to get wet, also separates stuff in a backpack for easy retrieval.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter