What to do during naps?

Are you driving? If so, stay in a moderate and pack two camping chairs. Not sure what they are called. You can take the monitor outside with you and set outside the door. Some of the views from the moderates are pretty.
We ended up booking a suite at AoA so we have the separate rooms. He won’t sleep in a stroller and we probably won’t stay in the parks long because it’ll be September and hot

We’re still new to this whole parenting and traveling thing lol. We just got back from wdw and stayed in the cabins which were great because you get the two living spaces. It was easy to close the bedroom door during ds’s naps and relax in the other room and we didn’t have to go to bed when he did. How do you make this work in a normal hotel room at wdw? We’d like to try other resorts but I honestly can’t imagine doing it without the separate living area. A 1 bedroom is too expensive. He’s a super light sleeper so I feel like we’d be sitting in the dark quietly doing nothing while he naps.
In normal hotels we turn off at the lights & we all rest for naps. For sleeping, we kinda did that too but could still watch or look at our phones. DS stays up late so I was usually ready to sleep when he is anyway! How old is your DS? Mine is 3 so it’s different than when he was younger.

In normal hotels we turn off at the lights & we all rest for naps. For sleeping, we kinda did that too but could still watch or look at our phones. DS stays up late so I was usually ready to sleep when he is anyway! How old is your DS? Mine is 3 so it’s different than when he was younger.
He’s 13 months. He’s been going to bed around 7-8 pm most nights depending on his naps. By September he might be down to one nap instead of two so he may go to bed a lot earlier. We ended up booking a cars suite at AoA so we’ll have separate rooms!

Just remember that no matter what you decide to try- kids change and evolve! Just because he "won't" do something now doesn't mean he won't by your next trip! You just never know. I have three kids all beyond infancy but they were very different kids at 6 months and a year and 18 months and 2. My 1 year old would never crash in the stroller but my 2 year old would, kwim? And they were all different from each other and also often different at Disney than they were at home. Just food for thought. Plan, but also be prepared for the unpredictable! Enjoy!

He’s 13 months. He’s been going to bed around 7-8 pm most nights depending on his naps. By September he might be down to one nap instead of two so he may go to bed a lot earlier. We ended up booking a cars suite at AoA so we’ll have separate rooms!
Oh yeah DS went to bed about then when he was that age. Now we take a late nap & close down the parks lol!

Oh yeah DS went to bed about then when he was that age. Now we take a late nap & close down the parks lol!
That sounds fun! I really like his schedule right now so I’m not too excited for the one nap lol. Sometimes it’s hard mid day though because it’s so hot when he’s awake in between naps

Our kids just always slept in the stroller. Right from the beginning, I always made sure that we went about our daily life while they were napping and not make the house too quiet. That way they could sleep through anything. They would even sleep on the plane on their first ever trip because it was nap time. A better stroller where they can lie back is a must for little ones.

If he’s not tired enough to go to sleep in a comfy stroller, he probably doesn’t really need the nap. Just relax and don’t worry too much about the scheduled naps. If he needs more sleep he’ll get it later.

Our kids just always slept in the stroller. Right from the beginning, I always made sure that we went about our daily life while they were napping and not make the house too quiet. That way they could sleep through anything. They would even sleep on the plane on their first ever trip because it was nap time. A better stroller where they can lie back is a must for little ones.
He hates to lie back in his stroller. We’ve tried. He leans forward and cries

If he’s not tired enough to go to sleep in a comfy stroller, he probably doesn’t really need the nap. Just relax and don’t worry too much about the scheduled naps. If he needs more sleep he’ll get it later.
Unfortunately that’s not true at all for our son. He doesn’t sleep in the car either but he 100% needs the nap. I don’t think a stroller is all that comfortable lol. Some kids just can’t nap on the go. We had a trip in May and left the park for naps. It worked perfect and he slept great in the cabin. We’re going back in September and ended up booking a suite that way Dh and I can have our own space.

That sounds fun! I really like his schedule right now so I’m not too excited for the one nap lol. Sometimes it’s hard mid day though because it’s so hot when he’s awake in between naps

I thought I would dread one nap, but we transitioned before he turned 13 months since he was going to daycare, and he's done really well with it, and he never fights his naps anymore. It's so much easier to plan around just the one nap, although it does stink that it's right in the middle of the day.

I wish this were true. My kid will become a monster if he doesn't sleep on his schedule. As he's gotten older, he'll sometimes fall asleep in the car or randomly in the stroller, but usually he needs that set naptime and bedtime.

I thought I would dread one nap, but we transitioned before he turned 13 months since he was going to daycare, and he's done really well with it, and he never fights his naps anymore. It's so much easier to plan around just the one nap, although it does stink that it's right in the middle of the day.

I wish this were true. My kid will become a monster if he doesn't sleep on his schedule. As he's gotten older, he'll sometimes fall asleep in the car or randomly in the stroller, but usually he needs that set naptime and bedtime.
So far ds isn’t fighting either of his naps so I won’t transition him yet. When he does I’ll for sure think about trying one nap. He naps at 9:30 and 2 currently.

He hates to lie back in his stroller. We’ve tried. He leans forward and cries

Will he sleep leaning forward on a small pillow or something soft that is on the tray? I know some kids like to sleep like that. If not, then it sounds like you have to plan your day around his naps. Depending on what time he naps, I would either get there early and then leave, or just wait until after the nap and then go to the parks. Have fun

Will he sleep leaning forward on a small pillow or something soft that is on the tray? I know some kids like to sleep like that. If not, then it sounds like you have to plan your day around his naps. Depending on what time he naps, I would either get there early and then leave, or just wait until after the nap and then go to the parks. Have fun
As of right now he won’t sleep on the go at all, even in the car. It’s frustrating but we’ve just learned to deal with it. We don’t have any issues planning around his nap. The original question was just asking what people do while their little ones nap in the room

As of right now he won’t sleep on the go at all, even in the car. It’s frustrating but we’ve just learned to deal with it. We don’t have any issues planning around his nap. The original question was just asking what people do while their little ones nap in the room

We would watch TV (husband) and I would read a book. If we had a balcony, I would go out on that otherwise just sit on our bed. I would also go and do laundry while the kids were down while hubby stayed in the room with them. There is not much that you can do since you won't be leaving your kids alone in the room. Our kids could sleep through anything so us being in the room did not bother them.

We would watch TV (husband) and I would read a book. If we had a balcony, I would go out on that otherwise just sit on our bed. I would also go and do laundry while the kids were down while hubby stayed in the room with them. There is not much that you can do since you won't be leaving your kids alone in the room. Our kids could sleep through anything so us being in the room did not bother them.
We ended up booking a cars suite at AoA but will most likely stay in a normal room at some point. Thank you for the suggestions!

We’re still new to this whole parenting and traveling thing lol. We just got back from wdw and stayed in the cabins which were great because you get the two living spaces. It was easy to close the bedroom door during ds’s naps and relax in the other room and we didn’t have to go to bed when he did. How do you make this work in a normal hotel room at wdw? We’d like to try other resorts but I honestly can’t imagine doing it without the separate living area. A 1 bedroom is too expensive. He’s a super light sleeper so I feel like we’d be sitting in the dark quietly doing nothing while he naps.

When our kids were little, either they napped in the stroller or we went back to the room and we ALL took a nap. Don't underestimate how tired you will be and how much you might want to take a nap.

My children are 3 and 5. They have both outgrown naps at home, but Disney is super stimulating as we all know and sometimes they nap there. I have always let them sleep in the stroller. My kids were never the type to take naps in beds (usually they napped in the car), so it never made sense for us. Furthermore, if they were tired, the long stroller ride to the bus stop followed by the ride on the bus would have them asleep before we got back to the resort. Do consider bringing or renting a stroller large enough for even "big" kid preschoolers to sleep in. Also, we now really enjoy staying in a 1 BR villa to have the extra space, even if that means we take a shorter trip.

My children are 3 and 5. They have both outgrown naps at home, but Disney is super stimulating as we all know and sometimes they nap there. I have always let them sleep in the stroller. My kids were never the type to take naps in beds (usually they napped in the car), so it never made sense for us. Furthermore, if they were tired, the long stroller ride to the bus stop followed by the ride on the bus would have them asleep before we got back to the resort. Do consider bringing or renting a stroller large enough for even "big" kid preschoolers to sleep in. Also, we now really enjoy staying in a 1 BR villa to have the extra space, even if that means we take a shorter trip.
He won’t sleep in a stroller but that might change as he gets older. We booked a suite at AoA for the extra room. Usually the 1 BR are over our budget. I’d love to be able to stay at one every time though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter