What the heck is a "rolled chicken taco"?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Of course there's the commercial with the annoying "Instagram influencer" looking for the perfect photo:

I went and got some yesterday, and explained to my 9 YO that they're properly called "taquitos". And when my bag was ready, I was asked from an employee "Order of two taquitos." So what the heck is a "rolled chicken taco"?

It's just Taco Bell's marketing name. They are also delicious! I'm glad they are back - now I want some.

They do remind me of Takis.

Takis-Fuego-Product.png

They do remind me of Takis.

Takis-Fuego-Product.png

Man - Takis! It's funny, because I went with a friend to LA earlier this year and after a few days he asks me, "What's with all the Takis?" Like, literally everyone in LA goes around with a bag of Takis - it's like the official snack of SoCal! It's something I had noticed before, but thought it was just me, so getting verification on that was nice. I have actually never eaten one.

Man - Takis! It's funny, because I wen't with a friend to LA earlier this year and after a few days he asks me, "What's with all the Takis?" Like, literally everyone in LA goes around with a bag of Takis - it's like the official snack of SoCal! It's something I had noticed before, but thought it was just me, so getting verification on that was nice. I have actually never eaten one.

I've only gotten them because of my Six Flags visits. They have a huge arrangement that includes discounts listed on bags and that they're featured all over. I remember when they were giving out bags (sometimes 4 oz ones) in their trick or treat area. I remember leaving once and they had boxes of 1 oz bags being given away at the exit. They just unloaded them and I think I counted 20 bags that I and my kid munched on for days.

I'm quite familiar with them, but I've never actually paid money for them. But they're so addictive.

I've only gotten them because of my Six Flags visits. They have a huge arrangement that includes discounts listed on bags and that they're featured all over. I remember when they were giving out bags (sometimes 4 oz ones) in their trick or treat area. I remember leaving once and they had boxes of 1 oz bags being given away at the exit. They just unloaded them and I think I counted 20 bags that I and my kid munched on for days.

I'm quite familiar with them, but I've never actually paid money for them. But they're so addictive.

Yeah, it's just funny because they aren't too prevalent here - at least not like in LA. I should try them sometime.

Yeah, it's just funny because they aren't too prevalent here - at least not like in LA. I should try them sometime.

It seems like they're popular in the Mexican-American community like bubble tea drinks are popular in the Asian-American community.

Had to look up what that is. Doesn't look fried though.

Robertos_ThreeRollTacos_COMBO-1170x658.jpg
Everything at Roberto’s is fried, lol. These aren’t dripping in grease and won’t break your teeth like their regular chicken tacos though. They actually come plain, you have to ask for cheese and whatnot.

It seems like they're popular in the Mexican-American community like bubble tea drinks are popular in the Asian-American community.

Yeah. I got curious and looked them up and they are made by Barcel, a division of Bimbo which is a Mexican company, so that may be why. Apparently they make all kinds of stuff I've never even seen in stores here (Takis are available jut not prevalent). Some of it looks good too.

Yeah. I got curious and looked them up and they are made by Barcel, a division of Bimbo which is a Mexican company, so that may be why. Apparently they make all kinds of stuff I've never even seen in stores here (Takis are available jut not prevalent). Some of it looks good too.

Yeah - I've seen all that. Bimbo is huge. They bought out a huge number of bakeries/brands in the US that sell sliced bread. I think they bought our regional Rainbo brand and discontinued it while using the old distribution network and trademarks. They bought the company with the license to sell bread under the Sara Lee brand.

I still miss the brands of my childhood. This was the one my family got:

10424_05528.jpg

I'm in SoCal if you go to any taco shop around here they are called Rolled Tacos. There are probably 20 taco shops within a 5 mile radius of my house and at any of them you can order "3 rolled tacos with guacamole" and you'll get a much more delicious version of what's pictured above (that really looks like canned guac and there's no lettuce). They are definitely fried. If you go to the grocery store, you can buy a box of frozen taquitos that are pretty similar so really I'm not sure there's even a difference.

And, yes, Takis are everywhere!

Growing up we made rolled Tacos dorados (rolled tacos) all the time, either Christmas or Thanksgiving was always New Mexican food as my moms recipes came from a restaurant in Las Cruses. They were bigger then then mass marketed taquitos you find today, which to me is way to much tortilla to meat ratio. Ground beef was never an option growing up either, we shredded all of the beef or chicken by hand. Each were hand made with meat and some diced green chili peppers and onions, then fried. I miss those days, and the sopapillas too!

I had the Taco Bell rolled chicken last night

I would say they were flauta

rolled tortilla with chicken and then deep fried

Taco Bell lets you choose if you want salsa or avocado as a side with them

had the Taco Bell rolled chicken last night

I would say they were flauta

rolled tortilla with chicken and then deep fried

Taco Bell lets you choose if you want salsa or avocado as a side with them

I'm looking at the Taco Bell app's online ordering system. The default is actually nacho cheese dip, with spicy ranch and guacamole as the other options. I don't know if this is just regional option, but the cheese sounds kind of gross.

The flautas I'm used to are made with wheat flour and are typically cut in half diagonally at the center.

This year is the first time I heard of 'rolled tacos', or at least, that I noticed the name. My family has always called the rolled corn tortilla ones taquitos, and the rolled fried flour tortillas flautas (or two corn tortillas to make a long flauta). Taquitos or flautas can have any kind of meat or papas fillings. yum

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter