What should I include when discussing the DAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I recently just got diagnose with POTS. I am 100% going to get a DAS pass, and I will directly ask for it. It is there for people who needs it. I get very lethargic and dizzy, which makes the constant grind of follow a line very uncomfortable, especially in the heat (even if shaded) for extended periods of time. I would much rather wait some where cool, to help with the heat issues, and then only have to go to the rides when it is time to get on. Plus I will use the down time to hydrate, which is vitally important. I am hoping this strategy will help me to spend more time at the park. This has nothing to do with standing as I will bring my wheelchair.

With POTS I guess it really depends on if it will provide you a significant benefit and if you require it. The DAS pass is not for mobility needs, but allowing people who will have issues or struggles to wait in the typical queue have a more enjoyable experience.

I am 100% going to get a DAS pass
Just to clarify, one can 100% going to request the DAS (which is not a pass), but only the CM can determine whether any specific person will get it.
and I will directly ask for it.
As previously and consistently advised, he prepared to explain the needs. Simply directly asking for a FEW shouldn't be successful.
I get very lethargic and dizzy, which makes the constant grind of follow a line very uncomfortable
This still sounds overall like stamina, which does not qualify for a DAS.
especially in the heat (even if shaded) for extended periods of time. I would much rather wait some where cool
There will be more heat traveling from the attraction (to get a return time) to a cool place to rest, back to the attraction. Most queues are indoors and air conditioned, not merely covered in the heat.
and then only have to go to the rides when it is time to get on
There can be a ten to twenty minutes wait, even in the Fastpass line.
I am hoping this strategy will help me to spend more time at the park. This has nothing to do with standing as I will bring my wheelchair.

With POTS I guess it really depends on if it will provide you a significant benefit
The DAS is not intended to provide extended time in the parks, or to provide any benefits.

i have POTS and many psychiatric problems. I've gotten a DAS on both of my trips, but really more for the psychiatric issues than for the POTS related issues. It is very true that many/most of the queues at the Florida Park (not Disneyland, just WDW) are indoors and airconditioned. So you would typically be better off temperature wise in line. Also, if other people are with you, it might be notable to say that even if you do stand somewhere else other than the line, nowdays there are very few seats outside -- probably the best you could do is go into a store to stand inside (your friends, not you as you'll be in a wheelchair.)
All that aside though, you have every right to ask for a DAS, and whose to say whether or not a GR agent will not see reason to let you wait outside of line if you still think that makes sense, regardless of your wheelchair. You're right -- the DAS is not for mobility/stamina issues, but it is for waiting outside the line if the need is caused by your disability and can be mitigated that way. But to repeat myself, you may find waiting in line is the coolest place of all.

Now, just make a decision based on everyone's contributions so you'll be informed, and that's up to you and the Guest Relations Agent.

Good luck and have fun!

Hi, I recently just got diagnose with POTS. I am 100% going to get a DAS pass, and I will directly ask for it. It is there for people who needs it. I get very lethargic and dizzy, which makes the constant grind of follow a line very uncomfortable, especially in the heat (even if shaded) for extended periods of time. I would much rather wait some where cool, to help with the heat issues, and then only have to go to the rides when it is time to get on. Plus I will use the down time to hydrate, which is vitally important. I am hoping this strategy will help me to spend more time at the park. This has nothing to do with standing as I will bring my wheelchair.

With POTS I guess it really depends on if it will provide you a significant benefit and if you require it. The DAS pass is not for mobility needs, but allowing people who will have issues or struggles to wait in the typical queue have a more enjoyable experience.
the PP already said this but they are right you will be out in the sun more with a DAS then without it. So when you go to GR I would not talk about needing to stay out of the sun ( as you will be in the sun more) and try to focus on your other needs. ( that re not mobility-related)

The purpose of the DAS isn't to "provide you a significant benefit", it's to make the attractions accessible for those with disabilities. There is nothing to stop you for asking for a DAS, but based on your description, it sounds like a stamina issue, which is addressed with your wheelchair.

I'm so glad to hear it's going well. My sister and nephew have POTS and I wouldn't even consider for a second that they could stand in lines. They would pass out. They also can't sit in a wheelchair all day (one of the worse positions for POTS). They always get the DAS.

Not everyone with the same diagnosis has the same symptoms or needs. If someone will pass out if they stand in line, it sounds like they need a wheelchair that can be pushed when they are walking and in which they can sit when waiting in line.

JMO.

One can also push the wheelchair as an alternative to sitting in it (unless it’s a power chair- pushing one of those without power assist, even in freewheel mode, could get tiring quickly).

I am so glad I stumbled upon your thread, Beth. I have POTs, too and don't know one other person with it IRL. I hate it because you can look totally healthy and be on the floor the next minute. I never know when a fall is coming. I get the side eye for parking in handicapped and I'm embarrassed, yet I know it's a 50/50 shot whether I'll be able to pick up milk at the store without falling so I need that parking spot. I also have major depression, anxiety, PTSD and all the fun that comes with those diagnoses, like claustrophobia from standing in line. I read in the DAS section that if you get a scooter or use a walker you probably won't get DAS, so I was thinking I wouldn't be able to take this trip. So you getting DAS has given me much needed hope. Thank you for sharing your experiences and struggles, you helped me a lot.

ETA: do you belong to any POTs online support groups? I could benefit from one. I lost my 23 yr hospice nursing career because of it, it totally uprooted my life.

I am so glad I stumbled upon your thread, Beth. I have POTs, too and don't know one other person with it IRL. I hate it because you can look totally healthy and be on the floor the next minute. I never know when a fall is coming. I get the side eye for parking in handicapped and I'm embarrassed, yet I know it's a 50/50 shot whether I'll be able to pick up milk at the store without falling so I need that parking spot. I also have major depression, anxiety, PTSD and all the fun that comes with those diagnoses, like claustrophobia from standing in line. I read in the DAS section that if you get a scooter or use a walker you probably won't get DAS, so I was thinking I wouldn't be able to take this trip. So you getting DAS has given me much needed hope. Thank you for sharing your experiences and struggles, you helped me a lot.

ETA: do you belong to any POTs online support groups? I could benefit from one. I lost my 23 yr hospice nursing career because of it, it totally uprooted my life.
there are plenty of people that need both a wheelchair and a DAS when you go to GR do not focus on anything that has to do with a wheelchair. like do not say I need to sit or I will pass out I can not stand for any longer than X amount of time, but focused on your other needs that are not met by a wheelchair ECV

Just a thought on the fidget spinners - maybe a fidget widget would be better. It is a small cube with a switch, buttons, spinner circle, metal ball, clickers, etc. all fit on a about 1 1/2" cube. You can hold it in your hand and it is not obvious that you have anything, unlike a spinner that requires two hands to use and everyone sees it because you are holding it out to spin. Same thing, Amazon should sell them for about $5 - $10.

Just to clarify, one can 100% going to request the DAS (which is not a pass), but only the CM can determine whether any specific person will get it.

As previously and consistently advised, he prepared to explain the needs. Simply directly asking for a FEW shouldn't be successful.

This still sounds overall like stamina, which does not qualify for a DAS.

There will be more heat traveling from the attraction (to get a return time) to a cool place to rest, back to the attraction. Most queues are indoors and air conditioned, not merely covered in the heat.

There can be a ten to twenty minutes wait, even in the Fastpass line.

The DAS is not intended to provide extended time in the parks, or to provide any benefits.

My understanding of the purpose of DAS is to provide an the opportunity for people to wait somewhere other than the typical queue for those of us that might struggle with a typical queue due to a disability, which can include physical, mental, or both. Stamina can be covered, I called Disney several weeks ago to discuss my needs and point of the DAS. That being said, everyone's needs are different so one person stamina needs might be best covered differently than somebody's elses. I have seen two different people with different stamina needs get covered by the DAS.

Secondly I have used the DAS, and being able to rest in air conditioning and to re-hydrate, as opposed to in the direct sun light or heat of the line was a huge benefit. I agree that you have to be in the heat and sun at points, especially to and from rides, but different attractions have different queues. There are many rides where it may not make as much sense to use it.

Thirdly, Not being able to stand for long period of time would be covered if you did not have a wheel chair. Having a wheel chair may be an acceptable reason for standing issues to not need a DAS. My specific description of my use case, was to help people with similar disabilities to understand the value of it. I have already been approved for a DAS before, speaking directly with cast member trained to handle that request. I appreciate all the feedback about whether my reasons are "good enough" and strategy for how best to request one. Mine was not an inability to stand, but the grind of the line mixed with being extremely lethargic, fatigue, and dizzy. If you do not have these symptoms to the degree that I do, I think that it would be hard to argue the legitimacy of this need.

Finally, the whole purpose of the DAS is to provide benefit to people who need it. The DAS' purpose is to make the wait more comfortable for the people who would have an issues in a typical queue due to a disability. I would only get a DAS if it provided me a benefit. If it did not provide a benefit from its use, why would anyone use it? I was very direct and told the person that using the pass would significantly allow me more time in the park. She told me that was great, and was happy it would help.

Last edited:
Simply put, the purpose of DAS is to comply with the ADA requirement that facilities open to the public be “accessible” to those with disabilities. That includes theme park attractions. That includes a very wide range of disabilities. DAS is not, and by law does not have to be, the only accommodation offered; nor is WDW required to provide any given guest’s preferred method of accommodation. WDW is allowed, by law, to determine what accommodation may be offered, taking into consideration impact to overall operations.

Since DAS does not require proof of need, it is designed to equalize access to attractions. If it provides a “benefit” that is a by-product and not the intent. If the accommodation provides obvious superior opportunity that is not available to non-disabled, Disney may need to revisit the program. If the accommodation creates negative impact to standard park operations, it can be limited.

Unfortunately, phone reps do give inaccurate information. On-site CMs may respond positively appearing to agree with a guest because that is pretty much the definition of good customer service - how many times have you heard the phrase “the customer is always right?” It doesn’t mean that is the legal stated policy, it means the CM is helping the guest have a nice day and not wanting to contradict the guest.

What 1 guest receives as accommodation, and the perceived reason and impact, may not translate to another guest’s experience. Every guest’s need(s) May be different, may be communicated differently, may be accommodated differently. Nobody posting on this forum can definitively state what accommodation WILL be provided. We discuss common experiences and suggestions for helping oneself in the event the desired or preferred accommodation may not be available to that person in the park.

Stamina can be covered, I called Disney several weeks ago to discuss my needs and point of the DAS.

It can be, but it normally isn't. The answer for stamina/fatigue is normally a wheelchair or ECV.

Thirdly, Not being able to stand for long period of time would be covered if you did not have a wheel chair.

Normally, no - those without a wheelchair/ECV who request a DAS for stamina/fatigue issues are normally given the suggestion that they rent one.

Finally, the whole purpose of the DAS is to provide benefit to people who need it. The DAS' purpose is to make the wait more comfortable for the people who would have an issues in a typical queue due to a disability. I would only get a DAS if it provided me a benefit. If it did not provide a benefit from its use, why would anyone use it? I was very direct and told the person that using the pass would significantly allow me more time in the park. She told me that was great, and was happy it would help.

Nope. The whole purpose of the DAS is to make it possible for you to access the attraction, not to make the wait more comfortable. Huge difference. And if you were given a DAS to help you stay in park longer, then that CM needs remedial training, IMO.

Simply put, the purpose of DAS is to comply with the ADA requirement that facilities open to the public be “accessible” to those with disabilities. That includes theme park attractions. That includes a very wide range of disabilities. DAS is not, and by law does not have to be, the only accommodation offered; nor is WDW required to provide any given guest’s preferred method of accommodation. WDW is allowed, by law, to determine what accommodation may be offered, taking into consideration impact to overall operations.

Since DAS does not require proof of need, it is designed to equalize access to attractions. If it provides a “benefit” that is a by-product and not the intent. If the accommodation provides obvious superior opportunity that is not available to non-disabled, Disney may need to revisit the program. If the accommodation creates negative impact to standard park operations, it can be limited.

Unfortunately, phone reps do give inaccurate information. On-site CMs may respond positively appearing to agree with a guest because that is pretty much the definition of good customer service - how many times have you heard the phrase “the customer is always right?” It doesn’t mean that is the legal stated policy, it means the CM is helping the guest have a nice day and not wanting to contradict the guest.

What 1 guest receives as accommodation, and the perceived reason and impact, may not translate to another guest’s experience. Every guest’s need(s) May be different, may be communicated differently, may be accommodated differently. Nobody posting on this forum can definitively state what accommodation WILL be provided. We discuss common experiences and suggestions for helping oneself in the event the desired or preferred accommodation may not be available to that person in the park.

IMO the intent is to provide a benefit to the people who need it. If it did not benefit people with disabilities, then people would not utilize it. The benefit is not providing "superior opportunity that is not available to non-disabled". It is just providing the benefit of waiting somewhere that is more comfortable for the individual than the typical queue, due to a disability. I receive a huge benefit from utilizing it. If it did not benefit or enhance the disabled person experience, then why would they use it?

The official language from the disney website and flyer is:

"Disney Parks’ goal is to accommodate guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their assistance needs."
"As part of this commitment, Disability Access Service (DAS) is a tool provided at the Walt Disney World® theme parks to enhance the service we provide to our Guests with disabilities."

The benefit is the accommodation/enhancement given to the guest over the conventional queue environment.

Last edited:
It can be, but it normally isn't. The answer for stamina/fatigue is normally a wheelchair or ECV.

Normally, no - those without a wheelchair/ECV who request a DAS for stamina/fatigue issues are normally given the suggestion that they rent one.

Nope. The whole purpose of the DAS is to make it possible for you to access the attraction, not to make the wait more comfortable. Huge difference. And if you were given a DAS to help you stay in park longer, then that CM needs remedial training, IMO.

The purpose of the DAS was not just to help me stay in the park longer. That was more of the by-product of the accommodations. The accommodations was to allow me to wait in a more comfortable place than the traditional queue due to my disabilities. My stamina/fatigue issues warranted the use of the DAS, as it does for many others, although we are greatly over-simplifying these symptoms. Every person's condition might be different, and Disney is pretty good at listening to each individual's situation and making the best available choice they have. This does not always work, and sometime exception are made.

Subject has been covered. Closing the thread at this point.
Guests with mobility or stamina needs who are using a wheelchair or ECV can request and might be given DAS if they ALSO have additional disability related needs that are not met by using a mobility device.
You can find more information about DAS in the 2 DAS threads pinned to the top of this board or on the Disney website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter