What room type is better? Ded 2 bed or 1 Bed with Studio lock off?

#1minnie

Earning My Ears
If I am understanding this correctly, you can get a dedicated 2 bedroom or a 1 bedroom that adjoins a studio?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Having not ever seen a 2 bed in person, it seems it would be more spacious and "airy".

But the 1 bed with a studio gives the extra studio kitchenette?

What are your thoughts?

I'll be wanting a 2 bedroom unit of some type in 3 years, we are going with another family then.

Thanks!

In my experience, a dedicated 2BR will have more storage/closet space than a lock-off. The 2 BR lock-off will have the extra kitchenette and two doors to the hallway/outside. When we've had 2 BR for just our immediate family, I prefer the dedicated - so there's just one door out of the room and more storage space for our "stuff". When we've had guests with us, I prefer a lock-off so our friends can come and go out their "own" door as they wish and can shut the door between the 1BR and the studio for a little more privacy. That's just my thoughts on the room types!

I prefer the dedicated 2 bedrooms with the extra storage. I also prefer the chance to have a second bed in the studio portion as opposed to the sofa bed, for BCV and VWL.

Of course, I usual travel with immediate family. If travelling with friends or another family, it might be nice to have the outside doors and kitchenette.

If you book at BWV, you won't have any choice...those 2BRs there are all lock-offs.

We tend to like the dedicated better for the additional space and the two real beds. But when we get lock-offs that works very well as well.

One note....those travelling with smaller children have indicated that sometimes they feel better when there is not an exit door in the second bedroom. That might be a consideration as well.

We always stay at BWV, so we don't get a choice. But we've always had our two bedrooms booked with "extra grownups" - our kids are on the sofabed and grownups or another family is in the studio. This works really well as they can take an independant vacation if it is wished - and our room becomes "our room."

The extra door isn't too frightening to me with small kids because my kids wouldn't try it and the latch would be sufficient to stop confusion - I'd be more worried (and more likely to use the 2nd bedroom for kids) with preteens and teenagers.

In my view, the only reason to choose the lock off is if you absolutely need a second entrance. The hallway for this second entrance and the space for the kitchenette eat up a LOT of space.
John

Another thought for a lockoff. My Dsis & DBL shared a 2BR dedicated with my folks. My parents kept the heat up so high that my DS & BIL were dying. If they had a lockoff they could have controlled the temp to their liking.

At OKW, we prefer the dedicateds because of the extra space and the fact that there is a LOT of extra closet space. When it is two families that want to keep to themselves more, a lock off is better, since they can have their own fridge items etc. as well as their own entrance.

We've had lock off and dedicated 2bd at OKW. The lock off had it's own balcony which was nice for my sisters staying there. They could enjoy their morning coffee and tea while watching the golfers.

Since we have little ones, we like the dedicated 2bds the best. We have one at SSR in October. :thumbsup2

Enjoy!

I think the biggest factor for us is who is using the bedroom. Are they children or teenagers that need separate beds, then we will get the dedicated if possible with two beds; or are they other friends or family that will share a bed. If so, we will get the lock-off that will give more of a living space with a sofa-bed instead of the second bed.

Our family enjoyed the dedicated 2-br at VWL. A 2-br lock-off could work well when you have guests.

I agree with the previous posters. If you are staying with another family, you might prefer the lock off so that they can come and go as they please without distrubing you. We just had a 2BR lock-off because we brought my parents with us. They get up earlier and could move around in their own space, use their own kitchenette and have their own AC controls. My kids slept on the pull out in the main room and we had the bedroom. Everyone was happy with it. Our friends with two kids were there at the same time and had a dedicated 2BR and it does have more storage space. (They didn't want the separate entrance and their kids wanted their own beds.)

I agree with most posters- it depends on whom you are traveling with. Another couple or relative that is very noisy getting their coffee and breakfast in the morning may due better with their own kitchen. If the 2nd BR people love to do pleasure island until it closes and come back a little self medicated, then a second door may be handy. So far we have done dedicated as its always been us and our children and spouses. With some friends or relatives I would want the lock off.

Another thought for a lockoff. My Dsis & DBL shared a 2BR dedicated with my folks. My parents kept the heat up so high that my DS & BIL were dying. If they had a lockoff they could have controlled the temp to their liking.

You've just sold me on the idea that a lockoff is better! I tend to love it cooler in the room. Being able to do that without freezing the other people staying us will be nice. We have a 2 bedroom at BWV in Dec and DH and I are taking the studio part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter