What rides close when it’s raining?

becks59

Mouseketeer
Title says it all. Wondering how much there is to do and what we shouldn’t bother with when it rains?

It depends on what parks you are talking about. But general rule of thumb, outside coasters may go down, but it also depends on how much rain and if there is any lightning within a certain distance. At MK, this means Mine Train, Splash Mountain, BTMRR, Barnstormer, and possibly a few others that I'm not thinking about. Everything else that is inside should be ok. There's still a good amount to do, but it does depend then on what your interests are.

Title says it all. Wondering how much there is to do and what we shouldn’t bother with when it rains?
For things to do when there’s rain and especially lightning:
Epcot ®:
Soarin’ or anything in The Land area
Imagination
Innoventions
The Seas with Nemo & Friends
Ellen’s Energy Adventure

Hollywood Studios ®:
Toy Story Mania!
Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
Disney Junior Live on Stage!

Magic Kingdom ®:
Space Mountain
Haunted Mansion
Monster’s Inc. Laugh Floor
The Carousel of Progress
Mickey’s Philharmagic
Pirates of the Caribbean

Animal Kingdom ®:
Dinosaur
Festival of the Lion King
It’s Tough to Be A Bug

I don’t think plain rain shuts most of them down. I think lightening in the area will shut them down, but not rain. We were at HS a few days ago and it started pouring for a few minutes. SDD was still running. It was mostly sprinkling rain, but SDD, which is metal and outdoors, did not close due to rain.

I don’t think plain rain shuts most of them down. I think lightening in the area will shut them down, but not rain. We were at HS a few days ago and it started pouring for a few minutes. SDD was still running. It was mostly sprinkling rain, but SDD, which is metal and outdoors, did not close due to rain.

Pretty much. If there is no lightning they will run most of the roller-coasters. I've been pelted with rain on BTTMR before! Test Track is the one that is sensitive, and rain alone will shut it down.

It depends on what parks you are talking about. But general rule of thumb, outside coasters may go down, but it also depends on how much rain and if there is any lightning within a certain distance. At MK, this means Mine Train, Splash Mountain, BTMRR, Barnstormer, and possibly a few others that I'm not thinking about. Everything else that is inside should be ok. There's still a good amount to do, but it does depend then on what your interests are.
Also Dumbo, Magic Carpets, Swiss Family Treehouse (basically anything without a roof closes if there's lightning in the area)

EE definitely does not close down for just rain. Last trip we had a steady all-day light to moderate rain, and I rode EE three times and loved it - especially since FP and single rider lines were basically a walk-on.

It really depends on how hard it is raining. We have done most coasters in light rain and they have not shut down. Heavy rain or lightning, any outdoor ride will shut down.

Epcot ®:
Ellen’s Energy Adventure

But, that's really a NOTHING ride.
;)

Animal Kingdom ®:
Dinosaur
Festival of the Lion King
It’s Tough to Be A Bug

I have something in the back of my mind about some kind of indoor
attractions related to blue-skinned aliens. Maybe I'm just dreaming. ;)

----------------------------
I'm thinking your list is just a bit out of date.

Last edited:
On our last trip, there was a very rainy day and Splash and Thunder Mtn Closed, 7DMT also did, and pretty much any outdoor ride. Trying to eat at Pinocchio Village Haus was a nightmare with all the people coming in just to get out of the rain.

On our last trip, there was a very rainy day and Splash and Thunder Mtn Closed, 7DMT also did, and pretty much any outdoor ride. Trying to eat at Pinocchio Village Haus was a nightmare with all the people coming in just to get out of the rain.
Had to been lightening in the area, maybe you just didn't realize it.
I've ridden Splash in the pouring rain. DH and I still talk about it. We got as we on it as we get riding Bluto's at Universal but it was from the rain in the outdoor areas. But no lightning, rain only. So they left it running.

The only other question would be is there also a wind limit for any of the rides? I know some theme parks have some that do, just don't know if any at WDW do.

Indoor rides at MK:
Peter Pan
Winnie the Pooh
It's a Small World
Pirates of the Caribbean
Enchanted Tiki Room
Laugh Floor
Carousel of Progress
Hall of Presidents
Haunted Mansion
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
Philharmagic
Little Mermaid
Space Mountain

*still open in rain, no lightning
Tea Cups
Prince Charming's Regal Carrousel
People Mover
Jungle Cruise
Riverboat

There's plenty to do in the rain

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter