What rides/attractions can I bring my mother who is on ECV?

You never know what people will be willing to try. My grandma is almost 90 and required a wheelchair for part of the day. She does fine in everyday life, but Disney and 8+ miles a day is a lot.

She also rode Tower of Terror and was cool as a cucumber the whole time. We have pictures of my aunt screaming her head off and my grandma sitting there like she was in church...

I say offer anything, but be ready for more of the shows and parades than the thrill rides.

Thank you all for the recommendations and suggestions.I am really grateful for and to this community!

Since I will be flying in from Malaysia; halfway round the globe, my initial plan is to bring my own ECV as my mom will not have to "learn" how to operate a new device but it has been suggested we use a wheelchair instead. Now I am rethinking the pros and cons of an ECV as opposed to the wheelchair. Any inputs, community?

FYI, we plan to be on property for about 12 days then to Universal for 5 more days and have an 8-days Single park pass for WDW and a 3-days 2-Parks for Universal.

Thank you all for the recommendations and suggestions.I am really grateful for and to this community!

Since I will be flying in from Malaysia; halfway round the globe, my initial plan is to bring my own ECV as my mom will not have to "learn" how to operate a new device but it has been suggested we use a wheelchair instead. Now I am rethinking the pros and cons of an ECV as opposed to the wheelchair. Any inputs, community?

FYI, we plan to be on property for about 12 days then to Universal for 5 more days and have an 8-days Single park pass for WDW and a 3-days 2-Parks for Universal.

If your Mom will be more comfortable using your ECV, then that's what she should do - provided that you will have any mobility assistance you need, of course! :)

Here's the way I think about this kind of stuff: When we (all of us) go to WDW (or Uni, or anywhere on vacation), our intent is to have a great vacation with family, loved ones, and/or friends. If you have to use a mobility device - whether it is a wheelchair, an ECV, a Rollator, a cane... whatever - it is simply a *tool* to help you maximize your ability to enjoy your precious vacation time with your family.

After that, it comes down to personal preference.

Personally, I prefer an ECV for a lot of reasons, but this isn't about *me* - it's about what is best for your Mom. Only your Mom (and you, if she wants to use your ECV) can decide what will be best for her.

I can tell you this: If your Mom wants to be more independent, an ECV might be better for her - she will be in control, and for a lot of folks, that's important. If, on the other hand, she prefers to let you, or someone in your party push her in a chair, then asking her to pilot an ECV for 18 or so days will be miserable for her. It's really all about what is best for her! :)

If you have any concerns about her strength or stamina re: using an ECV for an extended period of time, then a wheelchair might be indicated. If, on the other hand, she is going to be plucking at your sleeve, telling you she's ready to go now, and she wants to go get her morning coffee in her Resort mug NOW, and everyone else can just follow... LOL you might want to consider an ECV! You know her better than anyone here! :)

There are folks here - like in every community - who would disagree with me; there are folks here who will be glad to tell you *exactly* what they think you should do, and there are folks here - like me - who are going to take your Mom's side in all this.

Listen to her. Listen to your heart, and your gut. And remember - if you decide to start her with (for example) a wheelchair, it's OK to call the rental company and trade it out for an ECV, or vice-versa. No one says you can't do both. And that might even be the best answer for her!

(((hugs!))) You are a loving son, and your Mom is lucky to have a child who obviously cares so much about her! :)

Thank you, @mamabunny for your great viewpoint. Yes, it is about her's, my brother's and my enjoyment of the trip. I guess with my brother and me by her sides, she wouldn't have too much a difficulty driving her ECV. And it lets me and my brother enjoy walking about without "straining" our backs.

As a side note, she's not that independent. She doesn't go anywhere without me accompanying her here in our local malls. Here I'm being selfish and thinking of my back and also my enjoyment. Bringing her was just to show her "my happy place" and my brother volunteered to be a buffer between me and mom because he knows mom can at times "get on my nerves". I'm not a good son as you think.

...As a side note, she's not that independent. She doesn't go anywhere without me accompanying her here in our local malls. Here I'm being selfish and thinking of my back and also my enjoyment. Bringing her was just to show her "my happy place" and my brother volunteered to be a buffer between me and mom because he knows mom can at times "get on my nerves". I'm not a good son as you think.

You aren't being selfish - you are being smart. What good does it do anyone - your or your Mom - if you injure yourself trying to push a wheelchair for nearly 3 weeks? As someone with a permanent, disabling back condition, I can tell you there is no hotel bed anywhere that will be your friend if you mess up your back on vacation. This vacation is for you, and your Mom, and your brother - you should *all* be able to have fun, and have a good time! :)

Moms get on kids nerves all the time. As a Mom, I can tell you that not only do I drive mine crazy, sometimes they have gotten on MY last nerve, and worn me down to a nub... and in those moments, I would trade them all for a chocolate bar, and a swift kick in the rear! It's part of life, Willy - we tend to treat the people we love *differently* than we treat total strangers. I know you have heard that old maxim "Familiarity breeds contempt". Simply put, it means that the better you know someone, the more likely they are to get on your very. last. nerve. LOL Family always falls into that category!

Trust me, you are a great kid, Willy. I truly hope that you, your Mom and your brother all have the best possible time! :)

Thank you, @mamabunny for your great viewpoint. Yes, it is about her's, my brother's and my enjoyment of the trip. I guess with my brother and me by her sides, she wouldn't have too much a difficulty driving her ECV. And it lets me and my brother enjoy walking about without "straining" our backs.

As a side note, she's not that independent. She doesn't go anywhere without me accompanying her here in our local malls. Here I'm being selfish and thinking of my back and also my enjoyment. Bringing her was just to show her "my happy place" and my brother volunteered to be a buffer between me and mom because he knows mom can at times "get on my nerves". I'm not a good son as you think.

I can offer my experience when I first used an ECV at Disney 3 years ago.
I was in my mid 60's and still with a full time job. But due to Respiratory Disease I can not walk distances. I reluctantly rented an ECV and it enabled me to enjoy my trip.
BUT it was EXHAUSTING. It takes constant, intense concentration to safely drive the ECV through a crowded theme park. Others literally walk into you, stop short in front of you and cut in front of you. They do NOT watch where they are going. And many, not all, were totally rude.
Just something to seriously consider.

Thank you, @mamabunny, for your kind words and thank you @Hopefully for sharing your experience. Were you alone or did you "deploy" the tactic that was suggested earlier of having someone at your sides to buffer you from the crowd while moving?

I don't know about @Hopefully, but that's our family strategy; it doesn't always work perfectly - there are a lot of places where it will be so narrow you have to kind of go to a "single file" configuration - but where possible, we try to flank with one on either side of me. If we can't have one on either side, (because it's too crowded or too narrow) then we try to run me closest to the "edge" (wall, sidewalk, fence) and put one person beside me, and one in front.

Thank you, @mamabunny, for your kind words and thank you @Hopefully for sharing your experience. Were you alone or did you "deploy" the tactic that was suggested earlier of having someone at your sides to buffer you from the crowd while moving?

Yes I was with my DH and adult DS. They did try to buffer me, one in front and one behind. One of the most unsettling circumstances was when folks would "squeeze" in between DH and I. I tried to follow him as closely as possible without running up his heels when he had to stop short and people would still squeeze in between us to get in front of me.

One thought about the wheelchair vs EVC. Don't forget there are hills in disney parks. Last few trips my DH has used a wheelchair. He can walk, just not disney walk. A day's worth of walking at home is about getting from room to the park, never mind the next 8 hrs. So I push him in the chair but when it comes to hills, he'll get out to walk.

If you are just trying to show off disney world, I wouldn't worry too much about rides. I can only think of a few off hand, like small world or listen to the land that would be easy to board. But each park have several shows (some like festival of the lion king and some like the dapper dans at MK)and fireworks. Don't forget just the beauty of disney, so many people rush by the flower displays in order to get a ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter