What rides/attractions can I bring my mother who is on ECV?

willychho

Willy Ho
I'm planning a trip to WDW in December together with my 84 year old mother together with my eldest brother, 67. Btw, my brother is 15 years my senior. I have planned to get an 8 day single park pass for each of us.

My question is what ride/attractions could my mother, who will be on an ECV, can get involved in? This will be my mom and eldest brother's first time to Disney? I have been to WDW many times, my last trip was in December 2015.

Suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, all!

Can your mother transfer from the EVC to the ride vehicles? Will she be able to step in and out of the boat style vehicles?

I'm planning a trip to WDW in December together with my 84 year old mother together with my eldest brother, 67. Btw, my brother is 15 years my senior. I have planned to get an 8 day single park pass for each of us.

My question is what ride/attractions could my mother, who will be on an ECV, can get involved in? This will be my mom and eldest brother's first time to Disney? I have been to WDW many times, my last trip was in December 2015.

Thanks, all!
can she transfer to the ride and I mean at the ride. like step down into boat and out? if you want on Pirates plan on having her transfer to wheelchair at the ride, they have loaner chairs for the ride. she most likely will not be able to do People Mover because of ramp. be ready to ask at each ride how line is handled. most lines she can stay on ECV all the way to loading and her ECV will be waiting for her when she gets off. I would have a cane for her to balance with getting out of rides at least I find it helps me esp getting out boats like Pirates and Small World even though I am closer to your brothers age. I would look at ECV rental from offsite if you haven't done so. cheaper and you have for getting around the resort

Be sure to check out the Disabilities forum if you haven't yet. Just click on Forums above and scroll down to Disabilities.

Go with the disabilities forum suggestion. Lots of information in there, including what rides you don't need to transfer and what it's like to transfer on ones you do.,

If this is the first time your mom is using a scooter than make sure she can do it all day, everyday. For some, it's mental torture. Why? Because of the crowds, people darting in front of you with no notice, using the bus transportation (if you rent from offsite) can be a challenge for some getting in and out, and all the twist and turns with ride queues. Now, you can get the scooter on and off the bus and not your mom, if necessary. She can practice with free scooters at the grocery store.

You'll need to make sure the scooter is off when doing a show, parade and fireworks. You want to conserve the battery and your mom may not remember to shut it off. For an offsite scooter rental you have to charge the battery each night.

Most rides allow you to take the scooter through the ride queues. Then when you get to the ride you park the scooter and get on the ride.

With regards to getting on and off rides, it would behoove you to have someone in front of her helping her to get on the ride and someone behind her in case she fell back for whatever reason to catch her.

You may find getting a wheelchair would be a better idea. With two sons pushing it wouldn't be that hard on either one of you. Your mom could relax and enjoy the park more and not get mentally exhausted.

Thanks, all!

Welcome to our little corner of the DIS! :) I know that a lot of folks like to use an ECV - it allows them to feel so much more independent, and at the Resort they aren't dependent on anyone if they want to go down and refill their mug with coffee or tea. :)

If you are staying on site, you can ask the Front Desk (go down there, don't call - it goes to a Call Center!) to have the table and chairs moved to make more room for the ECV.

@Bete has given you some good solid advice; If your mom prefers to use an ECV, here's a few more tips to make her days easier:

First of all, you and your brother can help create a "buffer" between your Mom and other Guests by walking on either side of her, and when you need to be single file, by walking one in front and one behind.

Help set expectations for your Mom by letting her know that at WDW, some folks don't pay good attention, and are often busy talking or looking at their phones, or anywhere but where they are walking. Because of this, they may walk right in front of her, or (literally) right into her. Her best defense is the horn/beeper/bell on her rental ECV, and a polite "Excuse me!" with a smile.

Similarly, little kids do NOT understand the laws of physics, and that ECVs don't have brakes like a car. She will need to be especially careful of the little nuggets who dash and dart out in front of her. Yes, their parents should be responsible for them, but at WDW everyone is on vacation and no one wants to be responsible for anything, so...

Let Mom know that when she is crossing the trolley tracks (MK, Main Street) to be sure to go over at an angle - preferably a 90 degree angle - so that the wheels don't get caught in the grooves of the track, and cause the ECV to stop suddenly or tip over. Similarly, help her spot for "curb cuts" and ramps when she is on a sidewalk and needs/wants to get down to street level. This applies mostly on Main Street at MK, and along the streets at HS.

Since you have the time, I would have Mom practice driving the ECVs at her local grocery, Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. If she can master one of those giant beasties, and not get flustered on a busy Saturday, she's pretty much ready for WDW! When she gets the rental at WDW, be sure to have her "practice" for a few minutes to get used to the rental - making tight turns, going up and down ramps, backing up - so that she is more comfortable with her temporary ride!

Remember that some of the steps up and down into the rides can be pretty steeps (thinking of the ride boats for Pirates, etc.) If your Mom has a folding cane, she can easily carry that on the ECV and bring it along to help.

She may want to take breaks from sitting on the ECV all day; and don't forget that the extra sun may mean she gets dehydrated easier. Free ice water is yours for the asking at any QS.

When it comes time for bathroom breaks, she can typically park the ECV outside the bathroom, and just go in. If she needs to ride the ECV in, then you may want to look for a Family or Companion restroom (grab a Park Map as you enter each Park, or use your My Disney Experience App on your phone) so that she can drive in and out easily.

If your Mom has any problems while in the Parks, remember that each theme park has a First Aid station with friendly, helpful nurses. (Again, shown on your Map and/or App)

Let us know if you have any questions! :)

Thank you, @Bete and @mamabunny, for the advice. My plan is to bring our own ECV to Orlando but that does not guarantee her proficiency in using it. It is more for her to move along me, originally. My brother offered to come with us to "buffer" me and mom. I had no plans using wheelchairs as I know from experience, it will cause much pain to my back. I am also a heavyset guy!

@mamabunny's suggestion of my brother and me being buffers for her is great!

So far, I've been scouring the disABILITIES forum but still am unable to find the list for rides that is recommended for a senior with mobility issues.

But still, thanks for reading and recording your advice and suggestions!!!

It depends ENTIRELY on the individual is the problem.

My mother has very little problem with normal steps but a lot of problems with ramps. And anything like an escalator- so she needs assistance for stuff like haunted mansion. That moving belt. It's entirely in her head, but it freaks her out now after her stroke.

And then it depends what she would have ridden in her younger spryer days. Is you mother a daredevil? Or a scaredy cat? If she hates heights, you won't get her into soaring. If she hates drops or water, splash mountain is probably out of the question (although that is actually one of the ones my mother can't do- she has trouble getting out).

And along those lines, ecv may be more trouble than it's worth. My gran wouldn't use one. Just flat out wouldn't. So consider that you may have to rent a wheel chair anyway. Can you try to rent a fancy one with adjustable handles?

I think your real challenge will be moving at a pace that is comfortable for her. Because if she isn't in a wheelchair or ecv, she may be walking. And that makes it a really long day. With gran, we essentially just snack bar hopped. She had no energy or willingness to stand in lines.

@wesrcoastwild, my mother has never been to any theme park. My reason for this trip with her is more to show her my happy place. The main activity is more to experience the park, people watching, seeing the sights and eating snacks along the way. Just wanted to maybe do some rides that are "tame" to augment her experience in WDW.

Side note, my mom is like your gran, escalators and moving platforms freaks her out too!

unable to find the list for rides that is recommended for a senior with mobility issues

I don't know that there is a specific list for "a senior with mobility issues" -- the disABILITIES FAQs thread pinned near the top of this forum has quite a bit of detailed information about accessibility. What might be of interest to any one individual -- senior, child or anywhere in between -- will vary by that person's likes and dislikes. If your mom has never been to a theme park or on rides, I'd suggest at least starting slow with the tamer rides. Or she may prefer the shows. If you have time, you could sit with her to check out some youtube videos and see what might interest her.

Enjoy your vacation!

The suggestion for wheelchair is two fold.

For one your mom may not be able to handle the scooter all day long, day after day. This can become stressful for her. If you have a bad back maybe your brother could do it. If you insist on a scooter you need to be prepared to get the scooter on and off Disney transportation for her in case she can't maneuver it properly. By alternating shows and rides you get a rest with pushing the wheelchair.

Secondly, there are rides that are wheelchair friendly but are not scooter friendly. A few examples are Toy Story Mania, Universe of Energy, Living the Land boat ride, and It's a small, small world.

I'm overweight and by doing the parks in a smart way I managed to push my mom in a wheelchair for 5 trips there. She was in the same age range as your mom.

I don't know that there is a specific list for "a senior with mobility issues"
I know The Unofficial Guide has some attractions it recommends against for seniors, but I'm also not aware of as specified a list as the OP seeks.

Just play it by ear. A few attractions have health warnings - heart condition, motion sickness, bad back, etc - so if she has a condition or disability that the ride designers advise people to avoid the ride, well, avoid the ride.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions! Thank goodness I have some time to rethink whether ECV or wheelchair.

Thanks, all!

I find that the cast members that help you on and off the rides are VERY helpful. I was just down in March with my 80 yr old mom and on rides like Little Mermaid the girl held one of my mom's arms while walked behind her to make sure she didn't fall and once we were off the ride she was right there to help us off.

My mom really just like to go and people watch, see characters, shows. Epcot is her favorite park since she loves to interact with the people in each pavilion. Since it seems like you have been before just go at her pace, rest and have a great time!!

Also I would get her a "1st Time Visiting" pin, CM (and if there are other guests like me, other vacationers) will greet her and that makes it extra special. I had my mom wear a Happy Birthday pin since we were celebrating and at first she didn't want to wear it, but by the end of the week you would have thought she was the mayor of all of WDW

Maybe another suggestion could be -- since she's never been to a theme park and has some potential physical issues -- to start in Fantasyland/New Fantasyland? It sounds like you already know the parks well, but the children's rides, and boat rides such as Small World, also shows like the Country Bear Jamboree, etc. in the air conditioning, might be fun for her because they're not "thrill" rides but still have the ambiance, the music and the good feelings of Disney. If all goes well with those, I suppose you could work your way up with a little more "challenging" ones, like trying Pirates if she/you think she wouldn't mind the drop. (It's basically, Small World with a drop or two -- know what I mean? lol) That might be a good test ride to assess her potential to enjoy some of the others.

Anyway, just some thoughts -- only you know her here! I hope you all have a great trip!

Blessings,
Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter