What Rides / Attractions Are You "Retired" From???

LadyDiznee123

DIS Veteran
Hello All!

I recently started a thread looking for a partner for the Teacup ride. I'm doing my second SOLO trip soon and as a loner and an introvert, I absolutely LOVED it. The only ride I felt somewhat awkward on were the Teacups. That ride just screams for partnership. ANYWAY, thanks to our good DISers... I think I may have found a partner for my Nov 9th visit (I will be at MK on Nov 8th, 9th and 14th).

Also, via that thread, I realized how many people there were who had never done the Teacups (and some who CANNOT do them - due to the spinning). My first reaction was who in the world (as a frequent visitor) has never done the Teacups? As a child of the 60's and watching The Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday night --- the Teacups were a fantasy for me. I think every child during that time wanted to go Disney and ride those Teacups. Since I did not get to go to Disney until I was 30 (Disneyland) - I was tickled pink to be there - and especially to get on those Teacups. I'm still a big kid.

Anyway, that thread also prompted me to bring up a ride that I have officially "Retired" myself from after my last 2015 visit. That ride is SPACE MOUNTAIN. I told myself that enough is enough. I have never cared for the intense version of the ride and I'm not a thrill-ride sissy. It wasn't even until about 8-9 months ago that I figured out the reason why. I was on the boards and actually looked at the design of the seating. I don't think that SM would be a problem for me if I felt like I could grasp on to something. That fat bar on my lap does nothing to make me feel grounded. I have very small hands that don't really seem to grasp it (yet children have no problem with it). I realize that my personal fear factor is that I don't feel grounded in that seat. I never have. It's the only ride that scares me and I only get on it because I am familiar with it and I know what to expect. In fact, my MK ritual was always to head to SM first! But this last time (at age 55... and feeling a bit battered bruised in my back area) - I told myself.. enough. You can't even handle that ride anymore... you need to cease and desist with making it a must do.

I'd love it if Disney could put some kind of a side bar that I can really grasp on to and feel braced... but let's not be silly here... I know that Disney isn't going to redesign a ride for the likes of oddballs like me. People have been riding (and loving) it for decades. If I can't handle it... that's my problem.

So anyway, sorry I am so long winded.... just wondering what attractions / rides you always used to do in the past, that you have decided to finally ditch / "Retire" yourself from and why? The way I see it, at the end of the day, you just save yourself valuable time when you retire yourself from a ride / attraction. So I'm feeling good about eliminating SM from my itinerary! :flower1:

space-mountain.jpg

I'm also retired from Space Mountain. The bumpiness hurts my bones. Same thing for Primeval Whirl.

Ah, so it's not only me!
I have not yet done Primevel Whirl. It was down during my 2015 visit and it did not exist during my last 2000 visit. So I'm looking forward to doing it. I don't think it will bother me because I can see whats happening. The thing with SM is that I can even see to brace myself for the turns and jerks. I can actually handle "wild mouse" rides. But then again... we shall see come November when I get on the PW.

I'm on the fence with Space Mountain. I told myself after last year 'no more', and both my kids are now old enough to wait in line without my wife and I. But, the reality of it is, I can probably do a couple more years as long as it is just once per trip.

The ride I decided not to get on last year was Kali River Rapids. I simply don't find the ride to be that entertaining and someone needed to sit out with our stuff (versus getting a locker). I readily offered.

I'm on the fence with Space Mountain. I told myself after last year 'no more', and both my kids are now old enough to wait in line without my wife and I. But, the reality of it is, I can probably do a couple more years as long as it is just once per trip.

INTERESTING! To be truthful... in a way, I am on the fence as well. I am not opposed to doing it if I am with someone (and mind you, my next visit is solo - so I have no plan for it!) - who wants to experience it. After all, I do know what to expect from it. And it's not like I'm scared witless of it. For me... I think that as long as I am solo... I will skip it. If I am with a partner who wants to do it... I'm still "good-enough" to get on it with them. I'm 57, but healthy and vibrant and youthful. But we all need to know our limitations. I feel just a tad battered after doing it. Can't be healthy.

Tea cup (sorry op)
Dumbo

Teacups! Oh no! lol.
Is it the spinning.. or is it just getting "old?"
I do feel that a good reason to retire yourself for a ride is simply that you've done it so many times that you just don't feel the "need" to do it anymore. Valuable time could be spent else where. I am feeling that way about the Dumbo, AstroOrbiter, and Aladdin Carpet type rides. I mean they are ALL the same rides. I don't have kids and so I have taken them off of my itinerary. Only reason to get on them now is if I've done all of my must do's and I find myself passing these rides with minimal wait time. Then, I'll do them. But with crowds the way they are these days, I think am indeed taking them off of my must do itinerary. I do have Dumbo on my NIGHTTIME itinerary. It's very scenic at night.

1. Tea Cups (spinning) :crazy2:

2. Mission Space (claustrophobia and spinning) :scared:
3. Summit Plummet (because at the top you look down and cannot see the slide underneath you) :scared1:

Those darn Teacups again!
Just wondering now if it's the one popular "kid" ride (actually I guess it's an any age ride) that a significant number of visitors can't do. I love the spinning... hence.. I love MS (did it 3 times in 2015)!!! I don't do water parks... but yes, that doesn't sound good at all about Summit Plummet! lol.

Teacups! Oh no! lol.
Is it the spinning.. or is it just getting "old?"
I do feel that a good reason to retire yourself for a ride is simply that you've done it so many times that you just don't feel the "need" to do it anymore. Valuable time could be spent else where. I am feeling that way about the Dumbo, AstroOrbiter, and Aladdin Carpet type rides. I mean they are ALL the same rides. I don't have kids and so I have taken them off of my itinerary. Only reason to get on them now is if I've done all of my must do's and I find myself passing these rides with minimal wait time. Then, I'll do them. But with crowds the way they are these days, I think am indeed taking them off of my must do itinerary. I do have Dumbo on my NIGHTTIME itinerary. It's very scenic at night.

I typically don't get motion sickness but just watching makes me sick

The Tea Cups are cute and classic, but their spinning is really insidious if you have a sensitivity. I rode them in April for my son's sake, and actually felt ill for a good 10-15 minutes after getting off. I decided then to never ride them again.

During a different trip, Mission Space Orange made me so ill I actually had to lay down immediately afterwards for about 10 minutes. And since then I've read about what it's like to get stuck in that tiny capsule for 20+ minutes when the ride malfunctions...Uh uh. Not riding that again.

I'm still fine with rides like Dumbo, Aladdin's Carpet & Astro Orbiter. I actually enjoy those as they're peaceful & offer nice views (especially Astro Orbiter). I also like Primeval Whirl. It doesn't spin you mercilessly like Tea Cups or MS, but instead just has some twists and turns.

It's not that I would not ride dumbo agin but not only would I feel out of place standing in line but would I fit

Tmi 5feet 133 pounds

I don't do water parks... but yes, that doesn't sound good at all about Summit Plummet! lol.
Summit Plummet also hurts your back. It's a ride that is actually known for pulling girls' bikini tops off- you go down that roughly & quickly. When you're on the top platform waiting for your turn, you can look out into the distance and see the top of Expedition Everest at eye level. Then it's your turn and you sit down, and when you look down you can't see the slide underneath you. It's very steep. My son loves it and I've ridden it a few times for him, but I'm done with it.

Last edited:
Summit Plummet also hurts your back. It's a ride that is actually known for pulling girls' bikini tops' off- you go down that roughly & quickly. When you're on the top platform waiting for your turn, you can look out into the distance and see the top of Expedition Everest at eye level. Then it's your turn and you sit down, and when you look down you can't see the slide underneath you. It's very steep. My son loves it and I've ridden it a few times for him, but I'm done with it.

Yeah. That sounds like quite a bit much for me as well. And I'm not a swimmer. That would scare me witless.

Space Mountain. Bad knee makes it almost impossible to get out of. However, no problem at Disneyland.

Hmmm. There's that much of a difference?
For me, the ride in general just too much for me, and it was the one is DisneyLand that first scared the heck out of me!

Mission Space
Summit Plummit - last time I got off, I cried. That is one rough ride!! No thanks!

I'm toying with ending my relationship with Space and RnRC. I can do it depending on the day, when I've eaten, how I feel, etc.

Hmmm. There's that much of a difference?
For me, the ride in general just too much for me, and it was the one is DisneyLand that first scared the heck out of me!
Yeah, the seating at Disneyland is two side by side and you don't slip down during the ride like you do at WDW.

Space Mountain - it hurts my neck & back**
Primeval Whirl - hurts my neck & back**
Splash Mountain - drop makes me sick
TOT - makes me sick

** I do not have any injuries to my neck or back, maybe it's just getting older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter