What Resorts Have Been Refurbished?

BWV Dreamin

DIS Veteran
It seems like most of the threads I’ve been reading have people complaining about the conditions of their rooms. What DVC resorts have been recently refurbed? I know VGF is undergoing one. But even Riviera has been open for a few years now. I wonder when their’s is scheduled, and others as well. TIA.

The standard schedule is a minor refresh every 7 years ("soft goods") and a major refresh every 14 years ("hard goods") but they deviate from the schedule pretty frequently for a number of reasons. IMO the only rooms that are really rough right now are Boulder Ridge.

It seems like most of the threads I’ve been reading have people complaining about the conditions of their rooms. What DVC resorts have been recently refurbed? I know VGF is undergoing one. But even Riviera has been open for a few years now. I wonder when their’s is scheduled, and others as well. TIA.
VGF is finished. The hotel rooms are now being done. Poly was done before VGF. SSR was completed before Poly and OKW was done prior to SSR.

RIV has a long way to go before any refurb. Soft goods (refreshes) are typically done 7 years after a full refurb (or after resort opening) and then a full refurb is done 7 years after that. RIV is due for a refresh in 2027.

VGF is finished. The hotel rooms are now being done. Poly was done before VGF. SSR was completed before Poly and OKW was done prior to SSR.

RIV has a long way to go before any refurb. Soft goods (refreshes) are typically done 7 years after a full refurb (or after resort opening) and then a full refurb is done 7 years after that. RIV is due for a refresh in 2027.
So the most recent order would be VGF, SSR, Poly, OKW? What about AKV? BWV and BCV? Sounds like those last three are probably in pretty rough condition.

So the most recent order would be VGF, SSR, Poly, OKW? What about AKV? BWV and BCV? Sounds like those last three are probably in pretty rough condition.
BCV was due for a refresh this year. Nothing is scheduled. AKV and BWV are due for full refurbs in 2023. But if any of those are done before BRV, I think there will be a virtual riot by the BRV owners who have seen their home resort's full refurb postponed since 2021.

Look at this chart: https://www.dvcnews.com/other-resources/site-content/5196-dvc-resort-refurbishment-tracker. The last BRV refurbishment was in process or about to start when DVC decided to accelerate the refurbishment schedule and make it much more reasonable. BRV did not get a very high-quality job. BWV and BCV refurbs were better but not as good as OKW and SSR.

VGC is due and should be getting a major update in 2024. That gives the new resort across the road, VDH a few months to shine.

We recently stayed at BRV. My heart is so sad that DVC has let the condition deteriorate to the state it is in. For the money we have paid we are not going to stay in any other DVC resorts that are near this same run down state. :sad1:

Saratoga was refurbished, however we just stayed in a studio there and we be back unless there are no other options. The rooms were essentially just hospital white, boring and ours had too many issues for a full refurb.
  1. Sliding door (which is original and wasn't replaced per maintenance) was obnoxiously difficult to open. Kids couldn't open it and my wife could barley open it.
  2. The refrigerator, which is actually a "cooler" was a huge mistake to put in and take 6-7 hours to cool back down once it has been open for 5-10 minutes, you know like when housekeeping is doing a room flip for guest check out and is cleaning it. The maintenance worker said this is a massive issue he deals with on a daily basis and showed me dozens and dozens of documenting photos from other rooms that were all complaints from that day. He said it's essentially the majority of his day now since the resort is so big.
  3. The light above the murphy bed didn't work. The electrician said that they are experience issues with the magnets that activate the light and tried to fix it, however he said someone was already in this one to fix it previously and whoever repainted just tossed paint around and it he kept prying the side board the paint would peel off.
The grounds of the resort and the pools were wonderful, however the room experience was the worst we've had of any DVC property.

Doors are not replaced during any refurbishments that I know I of. I have used sliders at many resorts that were as bad as yours.

Refrigerator, that’s on DVC, expect all resorts to have the same or worse ones when they get refurbished.

Murphy bed issue, most resorts are getting them during refurbishments. So expect issues at all resorts in the near future. I would much rather have a light that is not working then to sleep on the old sofa beds.

Some SSR rooms were refurbished almost 3 years ago.

Doors are not replaced during any refurbishments that I know I of. I have used sliders at many resorts that were as bad as yours.

Refrigerator, that’s on DVC, expect all resorts to have the same or worse ones when they get refurbished.

Murphy bed issue, most resorts are getting them during refurbishments. So expect issues at all resorts in the near future. I would much rather have a light that is not working then to sleep on the old sofa beds.

That and the fact that people beat the crap out of these rooms. Paul and Amy Krieger did a room tour last year, and the room they were in had a very nice, iron-shaped burn mark on the dining table, because someone felt that was the ideal place to press their clothes. The room couldn't have been more than a few months out from the refurb.

Well someone has to be. I mean who makes up these schedules?
DVCMC makes the schedule, but the schedule is just a projection. There’s no contract saying what has to be done when.

I too am bothered by the unfair BRV refurb delay, especially that both Poly and VGF jumped the line, but I don’t believe DVCMC made any guarantees as to when any refurb would be done. And I’m still thankful that they accelerated the 12/24 schedule to 7/14.

DVCMC makes the schedule, but the schedule is just a projection. There’s no contract saying what has to be done when.

I too am bothered by the unfair BRV refurb delay, especially that both Poly and VGF jumped the line, but I don’t believe DVCMC made any guarantees as to when any refurb would be done. And I’m still thankful that they accelerated the 12/24 schedule to 7/14.
Thanks for that info and that is a real shame. The money a DVC membership costs and they can’t even commit to a refurb schedule is a slap in the face. If it is always subjective and not mandated, other refurbs will be pushed back as well, all in the name of “profit”.

Its not your “father’s” DVC anymore. After 15 yrs., we are done.

Thanks for that info and that is a real shame. The money a DVC membership costs and they can’t even commit to a refurb schedule is a slap in the face. If it is always subjective and not mandated, other refurbs will be pushed back as well, all in the name of “profit”.

Its not your “father’s” DVC anymore. After 15 yrs., we are done.

The original refurb schedule didn't call for rooms to be fully renovated until they were 24 years old. DVC actually took steps to accelerate that timeline beginning about 6-8 years ago.

Member dues pay for refurbishments. Disney / DVC has nothing to gain from delays. Even the interest earned on the unused funds stays with the condo association and is part of the refurb budget.

Most refurbishments happen within a reasonable window. Delays have happened in the past. OKW had some design issues that had to be addressed. SSR was impacted by the pandemic and some issues between Disney and the contractor.

DVC has never explicitly revealed what's happening with BRV other than confirming that it's still on track for 2022.

The original refurb schedule didn't call for rooms to be fully renovated until they were 24 years old. DVC actually took steps to accelerate that timeline beginning about 6-8 years ago.

Member dues pay for refurbishments. Disney / DVC has nothing to gain from delays. Even the interest earned on the unused funds stays with the condo association and is part of the refurb budget.

Most refurbishments happen within a reasonable window. Delays have happened in the past. OKW had some design issues that had to be addressed. SSR was impacted by the pandemic and some issues between Disney and the contractor.

DVC has never explicitly revealed what's happening with BRV other than confirming that it's still on track for 2022.
I cant even imagine what conditions the rooms would be in if a full refurb happened every 24 years. Well it is irresponsible not to have a firm timeline for all resorts. Something will always come up to cause a delay. If there is not enough money from member dues, then someone is misappropriating those funds. Not buying here Disney has been prudent in these refurbs.

Even if they don't replace the doors, they should at least be maintained and have tracks and rollers replaced.

I suppose it's more about the quality of the full refurb and expecting things in the room to function as they should. That's not setting the bar very high given the cost of DVC.

Spend the $$ up front on quality pieces and build to prevent never ending maintenance and complaints. Very shortsighted to cut corners now to save now only to spend more in the long run. If this is how all hard goods refurbs are going to go then it's a bad sign of things to come with other resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter