What makes a more expensive resort "worth it" to you?

the transportation/ location to the parks. the deluxe's are close to the parks. the pools with the waterslides, the bigger beds...we also just like the overall feel of the deluxe resorts- we like feeling spoiled when we go away :-)

Deluxe resorts add another layer to my trips now. I'm at a point in my Disney love that it's not all about the parks. I want to relax, take in the details and themeing of the place, and enjoy it on another level then just rushing to Space Mountain. The resorts are probably the reason I come back every year since they're almost a vacation all by themselves. I could spend a week at Animal Kingdom Lodge watching the animals, eating at the restaurants, learning about African culture, talking to the cast members, taking in all the details of the lobby. The Poly, Boardwalk, The Grand... they all help put you in a more "Disney" state of mind. You don't even have to stay at them, but just visiting them makes you feel more immersed. And of course convenience. Walking to World Showcase from the Epcot resorts almost feel like cheating!

I love moderates like Port Orleans and Coronado and they have great themeing. And if it's one of your first trips I think they are perfect resorts. But if you're a seasoned guest who wants a little more than just the parks all day and all night, staying at a place with great dining and drinking, incredible lobbies and decor, and pure convenience... ya gotta do a deluxe.

• Dining: I don't like food courts. While I don't mind quick service I want to have the option of having a meal brought to me after a long day at the parks.

• Room size: I don't want to feel like I'm on top of everyone. I enjoy the Epcot resorts but this is where the MK resorts win hands down. They're very spacious rooms. The same can't be said for values and moderates.

• Resort size: Deluxes have less rooms than values and moderates and are generally quieter.

For DH and I, our first trip together was at BC, in November. It was "too cool for the pool" so that amenity was wasted. All hot tubs except the one reserved for the Villas were out of order. We got permission to use the Villa hot tub when we complained for the fourth day in a row. We loved the location. That would be the deciding factor as I was a bean counter that did a cost-benefit analyses on everything.

Our next stay was at POP. DH preferred it but found it a little noisy. We had a great time but missed having a hot tub and sit down restaurant or indoor bar/lounge.

This trip will be POR based on theming and our desire to find a quieter resort with a few more amenities. DH is open to a compromise since there is a boat to Disney Springs and so much is new there.

So...bean counter perspective, I assign a value to certain amenities and to pricing and compare. DH weighs in on theme and location. We compromise but will be unlikely to stay at a Deluxe again. We end our Orlando vacations at Universal where the Deluxe resorts are reasonable and very nice.

Last edited:
I understand we all have a variety of budget levels but money than is spent on one luxury can't be used on another. So why do you choose to, or choose not to, spend more on a resort and less on say food or souvineers etc?

For me, it comes down to have much I am able to spend on the trip. Some years I have less, so it's a value resort all the way, stocking the room with snacks and drinks and breakfast items, myself eating lots of QS kids meals, and all of us drinking free ice water in the parks (we do bring flavor drops). On these years my kids know the deal - I give them the option of fewer days at a moderate/deluxe or a lot more days at a value. I show them the numbers so they can see for themselves, and hands down they always choose the value resort - they love going for at least 9 or 10 days (as do I).

On years that I am able to spend more, we still usually start at a value but then switch up to a deluxe. For the first several days we are so immersed in the parks it really doesn't matter where we are sleeping. But then it is nice to kick back and have long pool days and comfortable beds. Not that this can't be done at value resorts - we certainly have had many trips doing this - but it does feel more relaxing to me to experience the vibe and comfort of a deluxe. And the kids do enjoy pools with slides. I still balance adding in the deluxe by careful planning with meals (we average 1 TS every 3 days) and I still stock the room with snacks and breakfast items. We drive so it's super easy to do this. Also, we spend next to nothing on souvenirs. Our biggest splurges are on snacks (for the kids - those $5 Mickey bars add up to a small fortune) and pool side cocktails for me.

So value or deluxe or in between - this is how we navigate choosing. And regardless, I can say that all of our trips have been memorable and enjoyable in their own way. I have been bringing my kids at least once per year since going through cancer treatment in 2009, with the intention of building memories with them. For us, there is no better place to do this for than WDW. We started when they were 3 and 5. Now they are 11 and 13 and they still look forward to our annual visit. We truly treasure each trip.

Deluxe resorts add another layer to my trips now. I'm at a point in my Disney love that it's not all about the parks. I want to relax, take in the details and themeing of the place, and enjoy it on another level then just rushing to Space Mountain. The resorts are probably the reason I come back every year since they're almost a vacation all by themselves. I could spend a week at Animal Kingdom Lodge watching the animals, eating at the restaurants, learning about African culture, talking to the cast members, taking in all the details of the lobby. The Poly, Boardwalk, The Grand... they all help put you in a more "Disney" state of mind. You don't even have to stay at them, but just visiting them makes you feel more immersed. And of course convenience. Walking to World Showcase from the Epcot resorts almost feel like cheating!

I love moderates like Port Orleans and Coronado and they have great themeing. And if it's one of your first trips I think they are perfect resorts. But if you're a seasoned guest who wants a little more than just the parks all day and all night, staying at a place with great dining and drinking, incredible lobbies and decor, and pure convenience... ya gotta do a deluxe.
Totally agree with this post!! This is the reason my family and I return to the Polynesian. We LOVE begin at the resort. Amenities, Location and Atmosphere are my top resons for returning. Room size and food choices are very close behind. We enjoy going to the parks, but are not go, go, go anymore. We like to be at the resort just as much and enjoy relaxing by the pool!

Thank you for all the replies.

We just booked Beach Club Resort for the end of next August for the 5 of us for a couple weeks.
We ended up choosing the deluxe resort for the location and pool area primarily. We plan to do a park in the am, take a break for lunch and swim at a waterpark or resort, then do dinner and back to the park for the evening. The proximity to Epcot means we can try a different restaurants easily.

Another reason we choose the BC which I haven't seen here was the free Disney Dining plan vs the free quick service plan. I know it's a gamble on if it will be offered again but since it has been since at least 2014 we are hopeful. I know paying for the dining plan rarely works out but a free one will be great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter