What keeps you coming back?

It makes me happy. I have been going the last few years by myself, and I find it an escape from reality. It's the only place I will endure the 95 degree heat, being so tired, yet get up and do it again the next day! Lol! I was just there in July and decided to go back for three days in December. Can't wait!!

although not necessarily relaxing, it allows for complete immersion for a real break from normal work/home routines. It also appeals to so many ages and interests which works well for families at all phases (young, teenagers, adults / adult kids, grandparents/kids etc. .). Trips always seem to allow us to reconnect.

Two years ago during a family Florida trip at Christmas, we witnessed the ugly side of some guests (and maybe even some family) and said "never again." Then my mom died before Christmas and left me a little unexpected money so I planned a July 4th trip for DH and I.

Our parents never took either of us on big trips when we were young so this trip really felt like we were parenting ourselves, giving us permission to forget our worries and just play and be joyful. Sounds sappy, maybe, but we had such a good time.

We came home, ready to go back again and reality set in. Airline tickets were too expensive. Last week, on a whim, he looked at airfare and so we are going back. This time we'll stay at our timeshare, have some meals at the resorts, and do one park day. We'll try to find some holiday joy.

Last edited:
I can't put my finger on it either. NOTHING makes me feel like Disney does. It's this feeling of complete contentment. It makes me so happy inside. My own heaven on earth. :lovestruc:cloud9:

Exactly. I feeel the same way. My family arrives and we are just happy, content and at peace.

I should add - just two weeks ago, my 14 year old son who says "Disney is for little kids" held my hand as we strolled through Magic Kingdom for a mother-son night. Then he held me tight (For my protection of course) as we ride Big Thunder 4 times in a row. And even unbent enough (after spending days telling us that showing wild excitement was embarrassing) to race me up the empty line for rounds 3 & 4 in the last few minutes before the park closed at midnight.

A few days later, I have a precious photo I took of him riding Dumbo with his 3 yr old cousin.

Priceless.

Funny you should say this. I remember about 5 years ago I was alone with my too cool for Nana 11 YO DGD. The others were on a tour so she and I were in the MK, exploring the NFL area that was in the early stages of opening. SHe and I spent hours together, and at some point that child was holdion my hand!!! She has always been the Sun in our sky, and hangs our moon every night, and I had been worried that she would enjoy just being in the MK with me. I learned on that trip that no matter the age, a Disneykid is a Disneykid, and that the Magic Kingdom brings out the kid in even a Tween. Now at 16 she and I still take little trips together, and we still spend that time just the two of us, and I each time I remember those few hours that proved to me that there is a little kid lurking in every teen!

My husband and I were watching Walt on the DVR last night, I think American Masters. We talked about how Disney is that place we go and escape the reality we live in daily. He and I grew on on the Sunday Disney ritual, big dinner in the afternoon after Mass, no work for Dad, and a light dinner, bath and then Disney, so walking into the MK brings the two of back to that time in our childhoods when the biggest worry we had was if we remembered our spelling. We can immerse ourselves in the fairytales we grew up with, and take our now adult children and our precious DGD with us into each one. It's magical.

We also are happy with how we are treated, and how Disney CM's treat others. I feel strongly that when Disney CM's are empowered to make decisions in regards to time spent with guests, whether it is pin trading, talking, or just smiling, Disneyis placing people over the bottom line. I realize that as a business there is a structure in place, but it has some wiggle room. For my family, that counts.

I agree with so many of the reasons shared here. I also go for the "puzzle" that is the planning aspect of a Disney vacation. I love the challenge of creating the just right plan/itinerary for my family. A Disney vacation provides me with 7 months of dreaming, reserving, and planning. And every year, the plan and challenges change. To me, even the planning side of a Disney vacation is magic!

We just always seem to have a great time. If we didn't, we would not go back. There always seems to be something new to try whether it's a ride or a restaurant, yet we love our fav's too. Love the feeling of nostalgia and family.

Also, we are not beach people so a tropical vacation is really not for us. We are not outdoorsy type people, so hiking or a camping vacation is not for us either. We are not fans of cruising so that is not for us either.

There's a phenomena in my state (Michigan) where younger families tend to have cabins "up north" and retired couples have condos in Florida. Every summer, people return to their idyllic cabins in the woods, and every winter, the snowbirds head south to roost. Going to the same place. Every year. Multiple times. Nothing changes in these locales, and yet, no one ever questions their devotion to their chosen vacation destinations. No one ever asks, "Why do you keep going back to the same 100ft stretch of beach every year? I mean seriously, how many times can you sit by a pool sipping the same drinks and talking to the same people?" We accept that they are comforted by the familiarity. We acknowedge that there is a benefit to vacationing in a place you know well. Of not having to worry about finding restaurants you like, or activitites you can find engaging.

And so, I always find the questions of "Why do you keep going back to Disney?" confusing. Why wouldn't I go back to the same place time after time? Doesn't everyone? I know that I like it already. I know where to find the best food. I know what activities are available to keep me entertained. I am pleased with the options for accomodation. And for all the expense, it's sure as heck cheaper than buying a condo or a cabin! Plus, I don't have to worry about fixing up damage from winter snows, or boarding it up to protect from hurricanes. Every time I visit, it's pristine and ready for my enjoyment.

The one differece between my love of Disney and a FL condo, is that Disney changes every time I'm there. Sure, there's always the old standbys to keep me comforted, but there's also always something new to experience. It's the best of both worlds.

This thread is AWESOME! Love the topic and the responses.

For me I can't really say for sure what brings me back all the time. It's just the feeling I get when I'm there. Like I'm on another planet where nothing goes wrong. For sure my blood pressure and anxiety levels are the lowest there. It's my happy place for sure and whenever I leave, no matter how long I've stayed, I'm depressed about leaving.

Perhaps more than anything, and this probably sounds weird, but I love the way everything has a unique smell there - one that brings back memories. The smell of the humid air in the morning when I exit my room at the Port Orleans. Head on over to the dining hall to destroy my body with a chocolate chip muffin for breakfast. The foodie smell of the contemporary grand canyon concourse. The barbeque smell of the Polynesian lobby. The musty smell of space mountain. The sulfur smell of pirates. The smell of roasting chickens in the land. The ice cream shop on main street. The taco smell in the Mexican pavilion. Burning rome! Hell I even love the camel smell in the monorails. Just writing this now makes me want to plan another vacation!

Generally, it was the Disney bubble, and the ability to do what we wanted, when we wanted. If we wanted to just sit near the pool, we could. If we wanted a park, it was there, shopping was around. We didn't spend that much time in parks, but enjoyed everything else the world had to offer. We were going down 4-5 times a year with at least 1 of those being a week or more. But we stopped. Why?

For the way we vacationed, the advent of fast pass was the first nail in the coffin. We had to decide where we wanted to go more than a month in advance. If we had a change while there, it was impossible to recreate the fast pass. We lost out on a lot of our favorites because of that. But we were willing to deal with it.

We used to be deluxe hotel snobs and then got addicted to the cabins at Ft. Wilderness.... it was even nicer for us. Our own little house in the middle of the magic without actually being in the middle of it. We had our own kitchen & grill, and the car was steps away. Then they remodeled and put in the same awful sofa beds that are in the DVCs. The bedroom in the cabin had full beds which didn't work for us, so that murphy bed was key to getting a good nights sleep. When they put in the sofa bed with that horrible mattress, we decided we simply couldn't stay there any longer - even with the topper they provided after we asked. We're both too tall for the bunk beds. The other downside to the sofa bed is that it had to be essentially made, with the topper removed, if we wanted to be able to use that part of the cabin. We could just lift the murphy bed and the room was back to normal.

So we were real fans - addicts if you want to call it that. Our last trip was in November, and that was only because we had to change our plans and find somewhere else to go with less than a week to figure it out. That's when we decided we weren't going back for a good, long time.

They lost our business. So I'm sorry if this post is a downer to all those posting here about how much they love to go back. We did to and unfortunately the changes they've made have us going elsewhere. We are actually quite sad about it... we have 35 years of memories there, starting with our honeymoon, with trips increasing in frequency as we could afford it..... and now it really is just a memory.

I agree with so many of the reasons shared here. I also go for the "puzzle" that is the planning aspect of a Disney vacation. I love the challenge of creating the just right plan/itinerary for my family. A Disney vacation provides me with 7 months of dreaming, reserving, and planning. And every year, the plan and challenges change. To me, even the planning side of a Disney vacation is magic!
Love the planning!

Generally, it was the Disney bubble, and the ability to do what we wanted, when we wanted. If we wanted to just sit near the pool, we could. If we wanted a park, it was there, shopping was around. We didn't spend that much time in parks, but enjoyed everything else the world had to offer. We were going down 4-5 times a year with at least 1 of those being a week or more. But we stopped. Why?

For the way we vacationed, the advent of fast pass was the first nail in the coffin. We had to decide where we wanted to go more than a month in advance. If we had a change while there, it was impossible to recreate the fast pass. We lost out on a lot of our favorites because of that. But we were willing to deal with it.

We used to be deluxe hotel snobs and then got addicted to the cabins at Ft. Wilderness.... it was even nicer for us. Our own little house in the middle of the magic without actually being in the middle of it. We had our own kitchen & grill, and the car was steps away. Then they remodeled and put in the same awful sofa beds that are in the DVCs. The bedroom in the cabin had full beds which didn't work for us, so that murphy bed was key to getting a good nights sleep. When they put in the sofa bed with that horrible mattress, we decided we simply couldn't stay there any longer - even with the topper they provided after we asked. We're both too tall for the bunk beds. The other downside to the sofa bed is that it had to be essentially made, with the topper removed, if we wanted to be able to use that part of the cabin. We could just lift the murphy bed and the room was back to normal.

So we were real fans - addicts if you want to call it that. Our last trip was in November, and that was only because we had to change our plans and find somewhere else to go with less than a week to figure it out. That's when we decided we weren't going back for a good, long time.

They lost our business. So I'm sorry if this post is a downer to all those posting here about how much they love to go back. We did to and unfortunately the changes they've made have us going elsewhere. We are actually quite sad about it... we have 35 years of memories there, starting with our honeymoon, with trips increasing in frequency as we could afford it..... and now it really is just a memory.
This does make me sad. I asked another member in a different thread why they lost the magic. They it was gone on the dis as well.
I have real issues with quite a bit at Disney. I certainly haven't made as many trips as you so one day maybe the magic will fade...I pray it doesn't though!

It's funny that I found this thread since I was thinking the same thing this morning. Last week my boss and I were talking about Orlando, Disney, and Universal. His daughter is on the CP at Disney. However the rest of his family prefers Universal.

But with our family, we don't go to Disney for the rides, although we enjoy thrill rides and more calm attractions. It's not necessarily due to the shows. It certainly isn't because of the price!

We go there because of the joy we get from a place that wants to provide a few days of happiness. It harkens back to the simplicity and wonder of childhood, even watching Wonderful World of Color on tv.

I know when we leave the parks and Disney the reality of the world will be there. But for just a little while we are lost in fantasy, and enjoy the heck out of it!

It's funny that I found this thread since I was thinking the same thing this morning. Last week my boss and I were talking about Orlando, Disney, and Universal. His daughter is on the CP at Disney. However the rest of his family prefers Universal.

But with our family, we don't go to Disney for the rides, although we enjoy thrill rides and more calm attractions. It's not necessarily due to the shows. It certainly isn't because of the price!

We go there because of the joy we get from a place that wants to provide a few days of happiness. It harkens back to the simplicity and wonder of childhood, even watching Wonderful World of Color on tv.

I know when we leave the parks and Disney the reality of the world will be there. But for just a little while we are lost in fantasy, and enjoy the heck out of it!

This is us. If I did nto go on one attraction I would still be happy, and I feel blessed that my family feels the same way. FOr just a moment in time we are back in time, carefree, and contented.

It's the whole experience. From planning til the last day of he trip.

It's the feeling we get from walking into a new hotel and seeing the lobbying. Or waking up early to walk to lobbying for drinks and coffee. I always tell people of course we love the rides but it's the whole package we enjoy. Hotel, restaurants, snacks, rides and shows. Even the driving around dis and using the transportation.
We have gone 5 times in last 9 years and as the kids have gotten older and they can now enjoy the bigger rides as well as still go on the family favorites.
My youngest is 5 and oldest is 13 all girls. It's great to see how excited they get at different stages of their childhood.
We just went this summer. I'm pushing my wife for a trip next year. It next planned trips will be in 2019 for Star Wars land and 2021 for the anniversary. Also whenever the Star Wars hotel opens. Seriously looking into DVc resale next year.

This is us. If I did nto go on one attraction I would still be happy, and I feel blessed that my family feels the same way. FOr just a moment in time we are back in time, carefree, and contented.

Agree 100%. I could spend a week there, easy peazy, without setting foot inside a park. I think the resorts themselves are wonderful and could easily occupy my vacation time.

Agree 100%. I could spend a week there, easy peazy, without setting foot inside a park. I think the resorts themselves are wonderful and could easily occupy my vacation time.

I do liek the parks though, and spend a lot of time just strolling. THere are details everywhere that I think can be missed when you go from one attraction to the next. We do spend a lot of tiem exploring resorts though, walking along the Boardwalk, and boatrides. We never miss the boats.

It's how the place makes me feel. Pure carefree joy even though I drop a mint (for me) there every year. I agree about it being about from the planning all the way through the trip. Also I'm older so the details matter even more because now I'm like my Mom and while the attractions are great I do enjoy just walking around taking everything in just as much. I wish WDW had benches all over the place like Disneyland does so it would be easier to just sit down every once in a while and just ahhh enjoy the ambieance of the place!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter