What is with the heavy pushing for Diamonds International?

Ember

<font color=blue>I've also crazy glued myself to m
We just did our first Disney cruise, a UK staycation cruise. They did their best to have activities going on, but there were so many being put on by Diamonds International. They had three or four shopping events per day. But their reputation is terrible! Why is Disney partnering with this company??

In a word, money. First time I saw them was on our cruise on the Norway in 1983. They are as much a part of the cruise industry as over priced Spa treatments and......oh.....I was going to say the Midnight Buffet.....but that is gone on most lines since that COSTS money, LOL.

I guess with the Disney focus on guest experience, I would have expected more. It doesn’t take much searching to find story after story of Diamonds International ripping people off. Their sales tactics are high pressure and predatory. It just wasn’t cool.

Agree with the PP - the answer is money. DI pays the cruise lines to be mentioned in the port talks (which themselves are done by a 3rd party, not the cruise line) to drive business their way. I believe the cruise line and the port talk people also get a commission on anything you buy.

Agree with the PP - the answer is money. DI pays the cruise lines to be mentioned in the port talks (which themselves are done by a 3rd party, not the cruise line) to drive business their way. I believe the cruise line and the port talk people also get a commission on anything you buy.
It's gone farther than this with DCL now. On the Dream at least - Tiffany's is converted to a DI store and so was the other jewelry store. I think because of the shutdown DI is struggling (they do most of their business in cruise ports) and paid Disney a chunk of $$.

On the Dream on the 8/27 sailing we found the DI sales folks in the deck 3 store to be "attentive" but not as obnoxious as their land based stores. Didn't visit the old Tiffany's location.

It's gone farther than this with DCL now. On the Dream at least - Tiffany's is converted to a DI store and so was the other jewelry store. I think because of the shutdown DI is struggling (they do most of their business in cruise ports) and paid Disney a chunk of $$.
That's what happened on the Fantasy too. Tiffany & Co is still listed on the directional signs on the walls but the actual shop is now Carriage Jewels pushing DI crown of light cut diamonds along with Tanzanite set in silver. They work in tandem with the DI store downstairs but now mention how the Bulgari boutique is the 1st and only on a cruise ship. They want you to buy their watches.

On the bright side, DI's seminars are educational for general jewelry knowledge and give you a free charm bracelet with charms you can pick up throughout the cruise. It's free and sticks to magnets so it's costume jewelry made of iron, cobalt or nickle but you also get the oppotunity to win real jewelry at a raffle. You can learn from DI without making a purchase, you just need to be firm about not spending your money. Onboard they aren't as pushy as in ports of call although they are persistant.

Our "shopping assistant" at Diamonds International actually told me that I should not claim my purchase when I went through customs (from US in to Canada), because it would cost me in duty and taxes.

That should have been my first clue that she and they were shady. Gah! My purchase, upon appraisal was worth, in Canadian, what I'd paid in American. In short, I overpaid by 30% AND I was honest at the border, so I paid duty/taxes on that inflated price, too.

DI = RO (rip off)

Why would people buy from Diamonds International at all? I'm legitimately curious, the same way I'm curious about why do people play 3 card monte.

This was our first encounter with DI. Being on a Disney cruise, I thought they were a reputable company Disney had chosen to partner with. We were very seriously considering a substantial ring purchase. It was only paying for some internet and looking at reviews that let us know to stay well away. Their BBB page is just scary!

This was our first encounter with DI. Being on a Disney cruise, I thought they were a reputable company Disney had chosen to partner with. We were very seriously considering a substantial ring purchase. It was only paying for some internet and looking at reviews that let us know to stay well away. Their BBB page is just scary!

Well done.
Always, always research the company you're about to make a substantial purchase from.
Yes, the DI reviews out there are scary. Not just BBB but everywhere on the net. Amazing there are ppl that buy from them.. but then again, tons of ppl fall for telemarking scams so :confused3

Our "shopping assistant" at Diamonds International actually told me that I should not claim my purchase when I went through customs (from US in to Canada), because it would cost me in duty and taxes.

That should have been my first clue that she and they were shady. Gah! My purchase, upon appraisal was worth, in Canadian, what I'd paid in American. In short, I overpaid by 30% AND I was honest at the border, so I paid duty/taxes on that inflated price, too.

DI = RO (rip off)

Oh no! I’m really sorry that happened. Being advised to break the law isn’t okay at all. That’s all kinds of sketchy.

When things like this happen, it would be very natural to associate that ripped off feeling with the Disney cruise, because they endorse and promote this company. Why would Disney ever want that?! Tiffany’s may be pricey, but it’s a well-known, well-regarded and legitimate luxury jewelry company.

Well done.
Always, always research the company you're about to make a substantial purchase from.
Yes, the DI reviews out there are scary. Not just BBB but everywhere on the net. Amazing there are ppl that buy from them.. but then again, tons of ppl fall for telemarking scams so :confused3
I wish I’d done that, but, like you, I thought since DCL was allowing them to Be promoted on the ship, they must be a quality company that was safe. I was naive.

I do like my ring anyway. It’s just not worth the price I paid and that is something I think about when I wear it.

Most brick & mortar jewelers are not doing well where people can buy significantly cheaper and better sourced products online. Add the pandemic ruining their sales for a year, there's a bit of desperation to push even more now to get people to do the impulse purchase when on vacation. Especially when they think everyone has more cash than a typical cruiser usually has.

DI was a bad deal back in the 80's and only got worse over time. I do hope the internet companies do disrupt DI and others like them into either competing on price or just push them out of the industry all together.

I bought my Omega though Amazon. Not only was the price comparable to anything I’ve seen in a Caribbean port, but I didn’t have to sweat about declaration/duties AND I had the Amazon A-to-Z guarantee behind the sale.

I can’t think of a single reason I should have bought it in a port.

My friend from NY faced a huge battle with DI after she believed that DCL was endorsing them through the glossy literature and the shopping talk onboard.
I won’t elaborate in case it’s considered hearsay, and my post removed, so hopefully what I have said can remain.

DI = RO (rip off)

I am shocked that she would suggest not to claim your purchase. That's soooo illegal.

It is. I was going to report her to customs, when I was at the border, since she was also a Canadian, but I couldn’t remember her full name. Lucky her, I guess.
Just remember, honesty is the best policy. You have to do what you can to be able to put you head on the pillow at night.

I never had my children lie about their age so that they could either get into something they could not, or pay a cheaper price. Some people call me a fool (especially my sister in law). But I think not only was I doing the right thing, but I hope I also instilled those values in my kids.

Reporting her may have made you feel better, but in honestly, I doubt there would have been much of an investigation. It would have been your word against hers. Unless there was some larger investigation underway. Then again, investigations have to start somewhere...

But you did the right thing, and for that, I really do thank you!

Just remember, honesty is the best policy. You have to do what you can to be able to put you head on the pillow at night.

I never had my children lie about their age so that they could either get into something they could not, or pay a cheaper price. Some people call me a fool (especially my sister in law). But I think not only was I doing the right thing, but I hope I also instilled those values in my kids.

Well said! It's easy to bend the rules or thwart the system for personal gain, but I too believe in doing the right thing even though sometimes it results in me 'missing out.'

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!