What is the most popular sport in the world?

The more important question is what is the most profitable sport in the world for the average player?

Soccer can be played on any open field, without any equipment. A ball can be pretty much anything.
I think that has more to do with its popularity than anything. Other sports tend to require equipment that isn't feasible in many parts of the world (football, baseball, basketball, etc)

My wife played soccer in college (and adult leagues after that), and our kids all play it as youth. I honestly cannot get into the sport...at...all. I am not entertained by it. But, to each their own!

Soccer can be played on any open field, without any equipment. A ball can be pretty much anything.
I think that has more to do with its popularity than anything. Other sports tend to require equipment that isn't feasible in many parts of the world (football, baseball, basketball, etc)
Actually for (American) football, all you need is some kind of object that you can throw, catch, and run with. You don't need goal posts.
For baseball, all you need is a stick, a small round object to use as a ball, and something to use as bases, can be frisbees, pieces of clothes, pieces of cardboard, etc.

In the world, it's soccer without question. In the US, soccer is quite far down the list (I'm not a fan at all, so no complaints from me). Here, football is king, followed by basketball...which I'd argue has taken over the 2nd place spot from baseball.

World wide, soccer no question. My daughter played and I still don't get all the rules.
Locally with youth sports baseball and soccer are the big users of public facilities. High School football to the amazement of a lot of people new to the area isn't a big deal. Basketball, for youth, probably fourth. We have an NBA team that really hasn't done anything in 35 years here, but for decades drew sell out crowds. But they are on their third stadium in 35 years, including a new arena that the city kicked in $223 million for, and now one of their stars says he'll rather play for anyone else in the NBA now that his contract is up. https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article231871293.html

In the world, it's soccer without question. In the US, soccer is quite far down the list (I'm not a fan at all, so no complaints from me). Here, football is king, followed by basketball...which I'd argue has taken over the 2nd place spot from baseball.
Soccer is #5, after football, baseball, basketball and hockey.

Actually for (American) football, all you need is some kind of object that you can throw, catch, and run with. You don't need goal posts.
For baseball, all you need is a stick, a small round object to use as a ball, and something to use as bases, can be frisbees, pieces of clothes, pieces of cardboard, etc.
Helmet, pads, etc. These are very expensive, and football teams have a ton of people, compared to other sports.

Here is a Table of Top 10 Popular Sports
rankSportEstimated FansRegional Popularity
1.Soccer / Association Football3.5 BillionEurope, Africa, Asia, America
2.Cricket2.5 BillionAsia, Australia, UK
3.Basketball2.2 BillionUS, Canada, China, and the Philippines
4.Field Hockey2 BillionEurope, Africa, Asia, Australia
5.Tennis1 BillionEurope, Americas, and Asia
6.Volleyball900 MillionAsia, Europe, Americas, and Australia
7.Table Tennis850 MillionAsia, Europe, Africa and Americas
8.Baseball500 MillionUS, Japan, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic
9American Football Rugby410 Million 410 MillionUSA mainly France, England, New Zealand, South Africa
10Golf390 MillionEurope, Asia, America, Canada
https://sportsshow.net/top-10-most-popular-sports-in-the-world

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!