What is the approximate # days to break even on an annual pass?

Don't forget about the passholder discounts other than the tickets. I've made out more than I can count on just room only discounts. These are usually 10 - 15% more than the GP discounts. Then there is the merchandise and table service discounts. Plus discounts on entertainment and tours. Also even if you renew your pass but don't use it, it doesn't expire for many years (I believe it's around 10).

We purchased Gold APs (DVC), at the beginning of 2020 for a December 2020 and an April 2021 trips, figuring they would justify getting the APs. Well, Covid happened, canceling a Disneyland trip, so we added another WDW trip, activating sound APs in September 2020. So we ended up with 22 park days all told. We paid $744.44 each for the APs, so that amounts to about $34/day, not including the discounts we received. If you just count our original planned trips, it amounts to about $47/day.

We purchased renewal vouchers during our April trip for $650.72 each since we have a planned trip in January 2022. For that trip, we’ll average $72/day compared to $82/day for daily tickets. Break even point is about 7 days, not counting memory maker and other discounts. If you count memory maker, break even is about 3 days for one person. Of course, not everyone needs to get it and it’s cost can be spread out.

When they are available for purchase, they are worth it with ~10 park days a year from what I recall reading. That said I personally am skeptical on them returning for purchase, at least in the form they existed before. I believe we will see a much more tiered "membership" type of program and not a "pay one price for unlimited visits" thing, and I think the math will change a lot.

I do two 10 day trips a year, so the AP always makes sense. I usually get a Gold, but went with a Platinum the last time since I added Christmas trips while I had extra DVC points from COVID closures. My current Platinum pass expires in April 2022 and will probably renew to a Gold since I will not be doing the extra Christmas trips for a while.

We have gold APs which although much higher than they used to be are still a really good value compared to the platinum AP. We figure we are ahead after two trips in a year and we try to squeeze three trips in a year. We normally get the three in a year, let the AP expire, then get new ones a year or so later and repeat. This year since they are not selling new APs we did renew. We have our second trip coming up with these APs and that will put us last break even. The discounts are also a big benefits with the APs both dining and merchandise

For platinum pass, which out of state visitors have to buy, it's about two 6-day park hopper tickets. So if you are able to cover two trips within a 12 month period, it's probably worth it.

When annual passes are available for sale, expect at least a 50% price increase. This will affect your calculations. The mouse needs to money grab more from us!!!

For platinum pass, which out of state visitors have to buy, it's about two 6-day park hopper tickets. So if you are able to cover two trips within a 12 month period, it's probably worth it.

Or if you're planning a trip longer than 14 days, because you have to then buy multiple tickets to cover the same time period. We're going for 3 weeks to be able to hit several different festivals/events which means a 5-day PH and a likely 8-9-day PH, which put together would be less than the previous APs by a couple hundred bucks not counting food/merch discounts.

Or if you're planning a trip longer than 14 days, because you have to then buy multiple tickets to cover the same time period. We're going for 3 weeks to be able to hit several different festivals/events which means a 5-day PH and a likely 8-9-day PH, which put together would be less than the previous APs by a couple hundred bucks not counting food/merch discounts.
Yea 14 days or if you want more than 10 park days.

As others have said- depends. I buy an AP (assuming availability) as soon as the resort rates for a given time period are announced. We usually stay in a deluxe at club level- so the AP pays for itself with just a room reservation.

Whether it is a DVC Gold or a Platinium, using the last prices, what are the approximately break even points for one or two trips a year?

10 days in a single trip? 6 days divided by two trips? (base this on 1 park per day tickets without the water parks) In the current format, it really does not seem that park hopping it worth it unless we stay some place like BC or BW for eating in Epcot.

I know you can get some discounts and the photopass.

I am just trying to decide when it makes more sense to buy either a Gold (if DVC) or Platinum pass (if available) compared to just getting regular tickets.
Depends on what time of year - holiday season is like $160 per day for regular one-park tickets.

I do two 10 day trips a year, so the AP always makes sense. I usually get a Gold, but went with a Platinum the last time since I added Christmas trips while I had extra DVC points from COVID closures. My current Platinum pass expires in April 2022 and will probably renew to a Gold since I will not be doing the extra Christmas trips for a while.
Exactly the same with us. Our Gold Pass expired April of this year, and we were at WDW just before expiration. Had already booked a 10 day Xmas/New Years trip so we renewed and upgraded to Platinum at the International Gateway Guest Services location. Saved the headache of hours on the phone with DVC.

When annual passes are available for sale, expect at least a 50% price increase. This will affect your calculations. The mouse needs to money grab more from us!!!
I'm skeptical that this is going to be true. There is still plenty of competition with Universal in Florida. With Universal expanding even more in the upcoming few years, Disney would be taking a huge gamble of giving Universal most of the locals. I think there will be a slight price increase, and maybe even a move to a "membership" program instead of just a straight up annual pass, but I don't think they are going to increase pricing that much.

Ah, well.....memories. Reminiscing of the days when an annual pass cost $365 - equal to a dollar a day, That was back when you had your photo taken and put on pass. (sigh)
My first AP ran me $99 many many years ago, FL Resident Seasonal. That was when they only had the 2 types to pick from

There are so many variables! For us, we plan on taking fewer trips during the school year since our son is entering high school. We used to not worry about long weekend trips, but high school block scheduling has us wanting to experience a year of fewer absences.

We were eligible to get the DVC Gold, but we opted for the Platinum to avoid those blackout dates. And since we were past our renewal window by the time they got around to calling us back, it was a recovery and no renewal discount was available.

So far we have two trips planned:
August: six days of parks. Single park tickets would be $526 pp, hoppers would be $617 pp.
Christmas: four days of parks. Single park tickets would be $591 pp, hoppers would be $682 pp.

Our DVC discount on buying the Platinum pass a couple of months ago was $957. And they are vouchers that won't start counting down our year until we activate them in August. It was worth it for us, this year, to have passes again for these two booked trips. And knowing we would like to book a trip in February if they offer the Princess Half Marathon in 2022. And of course Spring Break or a summer trip is always possible.

There are so many variables! For us, we plan on taking fewer trips during the school year since our son is entering high school. We used to not worry about long weekend trips, but high school block scheduling has us wanting to experience a year of fewer absences.

We were eligible to get the DVC Gold, but we opted for the Platinum to avoid those blackout dates. And since we were past our renewal window by the time they got around to calling us back, it was a recovery and no renewal discount was available.

So far we have two trips planned:
August: six days of parks. Single park tickets would be $526 pp, hoppers would be $617 pp.
Christmas: four days of parks. Single park tickets would be $591 pp, hoppers would be $682 pp.

Our DVC discount on buying the Platinum pass a couple of months ago was $957. And they are vouchers that won't start counting down our year until we activate them in August. It was worth it for us, this year, to have passes again for these two booked trips. And knowing we would like to book a trip in February if they offer the Princess Half Marathon in 2022. And of course Spring Break or a summer trip is always possible.
When are the AP's considered "activated"? When they are linked to MDE or when they are scanned at a gate?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter