What is the approximate # days to break even on an annual pass?

MicheyMouse

Mouseketeer
Whether it is a DVC Gold or a Platinium, using the last prices, what are the approximately break even points for one or two trips a year?

10 days in a single trip? 6 days divided by two trips? (base this on 1 park per day tickets without the water parks) In the current format, it really does not seem that park hopping it worth it unless we stay some place like BC or BW for eating in Epcot.

I know you can get some discounts and the photopass.

I am just trying to decide when it makes more sense to buy either a Gold (if DVC) or Platinum pass (if available) compared to just getting regular tickets.

Last edited:
I know I've seen the math done on this before, and I'm afraid I don't remember I (think it was more than ten days.) Please keep in mind everything is in a state of flux at the moment, there are no AP sales. The other variable is how much more the AP will cost when/if it returns vs. whatever the updated multi-day passes will sell for.

At the higher end a Park Hopper ticket is $140 per day. At the lower end a park hopper is $125.

Approximately.

I don't know the cost of a Gold (if DVC) or Platinum pass (if available) so I can't do the math.

So 10 days would be appx. $1,400/$1,250. 6 days would be appx. $840/$750. Do either of those hit the break even point?

DVC Gold passes have a really low break even point. It's only $719 (plus tax) for all ages new or $650 (plus tax) for all ages renewal. We do park hopper, so this is equal to about 6-10 days for us depending on what days we're going and renewal status--and the Gold pass includes the bonus of Memory Maker.

The big issue is that if you don't currently have an annual pass, they are not selling new ones right now.

10 days over two trips...whether you break it up as two 5 day trips, a 7 and a 3, etc. has always worked for me.
This is about how I figure it too. I wouldn’t buy Memory Maker so I never figure that into my calculations, and we don’t eat at many of the TS restaurants that get a discount, but I do use the parking benefit.

(Still kicking myself that I didn’t cancel my AP that I upgraded to in Oct 2019. Kept thinking I would get another trip in before it expired Nope!)

Allears.net has a chart with AP prices that were in effect 2/11/2020 (the most recent price hike).
https://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-planning/tickets-annual-passes/
With taxes, a Platinum AP - the one that non-residents/non-DVC qualify for - is a jaw-dropping $1272.68! So using @StageTek 's numbers, breaking even at 10 days would be highly dependent on when you visit and 6 park days would probably not be worth the price.

This is about how I figure it too. I wouldn’t buy Memory Maker so I never figure that into my calculations, and we don’t eat at many of the TS restaurants that get a discount, but I do use the parking benefit.

(Still kicking myself that I didn’t cancel my AP that I upgraded to in Oct 2019. Kept thinking I would get another trip in before it expired Nope!)

maybe you qualify for a recovery offer?

I have an AP I just activated in March. I bought it in 2019 before the increase. I was on the fence but decided to take a chance. (For 1 trip). We always buy memory maker and stay deluxe. We also don't use the dining plan so the 10% works. I ended up booking a trip in March with the AP discount and booked another in August. So far no discount. I definitely got my money's worth, just with memory maker. We also do a sit down a day. I only wish I bought for my kids but we never do more than 1 a year.

Ah, well.....memories. Reminiscing of the days when an annual pass cost $365 - equal to a dollar a day, That was back when you had your photo taken and put on pass. (sigh)

If you factor in other discounts, it can be a whole lot less. I broke even with a 3 day weekend trip with 2 days worth of park time, mostly due to the substantial resort discount. I got 4 more trips, 12 more days of park time and more resort and merchandise discounts from that platinum AP. Well worth it.

I really think it depends on if you use all the benefits. I use my AP room discounts, special event ticket discounts, dining discounts, merch discounts and I'd buy memory maker if it didn't come included so I "break even" on a week long trip. I do go a few times a year though.

maybe you qualify for a recovery offer?
I find the whole recovery info super confusing. It looks like maybe I could buy a new AP but at full price, not the renewal price. I don't even recall them contacting me about renewing it at all. Definitely not worth it to me at this time. I had a lot of unused gift cards so I bought a 5 day park hopper for my Sept trip, not sure when I will be going back. Have to see how this goes. It will also depend on if/when I can use my credit from a cancelled DVC rental (hoping for next May).

DVC Gold passes have a really low break even point. It's only $719 (plus tax) for all ages new or $650 (plus tax) for all ages renewal. We do park hopper, so this is equal to about 6-10 days for us depending on what days we're going and renewal status--and the Gold pass includes the bonus of Memory Maker.

The big issue is that if you don't currently have an annual pass, they are not selling new ones right now.
This was what has made getting an AP an easy decision for us. Looking to renew ours soon.

Don't forget to factor in the discounts and also if you take shorter trips, the break-even will be less. If it's two trips at 10-12 days, it's probably something like 3 2-day trips. Also, don't forget what happens when you have AP ... we might as well fit one more trip in this year since the park is "free". :)

I bought an AP in 2019-2020. After doing the calculations, I only paid maybe an extra $300 by going the DVC-AP route, and then with the AP I then got some nice discounts during both trips (especially the 30% that was going on when I went in 2020). For me, my break even point was about 10 days versus the 15-16 I would have purchased for that 365-day period. If I'm remembering correctly, I would not have broken even if I bought platinum.

Keeping my fingers crossed I can upgrade back to an AP once I go in December, especially when I'll, be planning more than one trip in that 365-day period (trip that December and I'm debating mid-end Sept or the last week of November post-thanksgiving for 2022)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter