What is the appeal of the dessert parties?

I used to be in a similar mind set, but for some reason my upcoming Christmas trip is making me rethink that. I mean, I booked the CP package so I wouldn't have to stand in the regular line for ever, so why not take advantage of some other things too, right? So, now I've decided to book a few desert parties. I've booked the JBJB party and the Fireworks Dessert Party with Plaza Garden Viewing party because I want to pack as much in as possible and if these can help me avoid some crowds and actually get to see the special shows, then I'm all for it. Plus, I spent a bunch of time waiting for HEA when I was there this past January and no soon did the show start and a ton of people crowded in front of me and I had a hard time seeing everything. Really want to avoid that if possible this trip.

I guess I'm just easy to please, but I thought the themeing was pretty good!
Maybe, and it could be that I know that there are a bunch of Frozen related visual displays that are available, but aren't used for some reason. I think they're from the previous Frozen dessert party at DHS. Why they're not at this party is beyond me. And the theming was reduced even more shortly after the party began. If you look at the first photo of one of the pedestals, notice that there's nothing on top of it. Originally there were 2 to 3 foot tall ice sculptor facsimiles mounted on top. It was a nice tie-in to the movie and visual as you approached the party entrance. They were removed, I heard for safety concerns, and unless they returned during the last three weeks, they never returned.

We only make it to WDW every 4 years (when DD was 4 and then 8, hopefully also when she's 12) and we are not people who go and stake out spots 1-2 hours ahead for a show. at DL (we are in CA so we've been to DL more often) we tend to walk up 10 min before the show and stand 2-3 rows back and try to get a good view of things. Not a great view but again not worth our time to stake it out.

At WDW the dessert parties while expensive allowed us to get as much ride time in as possible (having a late lunch ADR somewhere and carried fresh fruit and nuts w/ us as a snack) and then used the dessert party as an unhealthy dinner. DD loved all the choices and we were able to sit and relax to end our day - to be honest I'd do it even w/o the desserts. Just the relaxing in a less crowded place after being on our feet all day and then getting a perfect view (we did HEA in the garden and Star Wars) was such a great way to end the day and really enjoy the show. We probably won't do it again at WDW unless they have different shows by then - if they do, and our budget cooperates, we'll do it again.

Tried them all (except Rivers of Light where we did the dining package for 1TS credit) for the first time last month and was very glad that we did so. Our favourite for food and drink was the Frozen Ever After party but the others all had good selections of food and drink (including alcoholic selections).
Star Wars had the best viewing ever of that fireworks display - literally sitting on the ground raised up in a courtyard right in front of the Chinese Theatre, also had a character meet, lanyards on entry and character tankards presented to us as we were led to the viewing area.
For MK we chose the Garden View and that too was excellent - no crush, plenty of space and a spectacular view whilst resting against the railings at the back of the garden.
We will definitely be doing these again on our next trip - well worth the money for food, drink, extras and relaxed uncrowded viewing of the fireworks.

Husband and I (yes, no kids) did the Pirates & Pals Fireworks Voyage dessert event in April and loved it. I don't know that either of us are diehard fireworks people and I still think this was a great experience.

I guess for us the fireworks are nice but just can't get over the price. For a family of five like us were looking at over $400 for some desserts and a nice view of the fireworks. I guess its just not worth for me

Buys nice steaks at shulas

We are regular visitors of WDW. Travel down and stay a week to 10 days usually twice a year and we have never done a dessert party. I guess I just can't get over the price tag. Depending on which one it's $90+ a person for an hour of finger desserts and a good spot to watch a 15 minute fireworks show. I'm not trying to put it down for those of you who love them...different strokes for different folks...I just don't get the appeal. For those of you who love them and do them.....what is the appeal for you? Is there something else included that I don't know about?

It wouldn't make sense for a person/family who is a "regular visitor" or that amount of money was of no concern. Our trip to WDW are once every 5 years for a total of 6-7 days including Univ (1 park per day) and we are trying to get the most out of every day. Not having to waste waiting for hours to get a decent spot for the show are worth the $620ish we plan on spending on each of them during our next trip.

To me, they have no appeal at all. At that price, I'd rather buy dinner somewhere, instead of way more dessert than I can or should eat.

I may have missed this when reading this thread but has anyone done the HEA desert party that is after the fireworks? Our upcoming January trip is short so I thought it might give us more park time before the fireworks and then we can be having desert while the crowds clear out of the park. Thoughts?

I may have missed this when reading this thread but has anyone done the HEA desert party that is after the fireworks? Our upcoming January trip is short so I thought it might give us more park time before the fireworks and then we can be having desert while the crowds clear out of the park. Thoughts?

My family did the HEA dessert party after the fireworks over Veterans Day weekend 2018 and we were glad we did it. You can read my review and others in the MK “Happily Ever After” Dessert Party (Parties) Discussion thread in this forum.

See the first page of this thread, there are links to a lot of reviews of the after party - https://www.disboards.com/threads/mk-happily-ever-after-dessert-party-parties-discussion.3604693/

I'm not a *huge* proponent of the dessert parties, but we have done them before and would do one again if the circumstances were right. For us, we look forward to and save all year for our WDW trips so we can spend freely without worry. We don't hesitate to spend $$ on something that can improve and add to our experience, making life easier on our trip.

We just did it in October. My only gripe is that you really need to get to the viewing area on the lawn still pretty far in advance. We got there about 30 minutes before show time and it was about 90% full from people that attended the before party. The best spot in the viewing area was along the back railing where you can lean on it, but that area was full by the time we walked in. Also, everyone stood and rushed to the front railing once the fireworks started so just be mindful of that. After the fireworks, we had to walk against the flow of traffic to get up to the terrace but it was a quick walk. The terrace wasn't even half full and the desserts were plentiful. They were good and there were many options. We were only there maybe 30-40 minutes after the fireworks so I wouldn't say the park cleared out, it was still open for another hour after fireworks, but it was fun to sit and people watch while we ate. It also was good timing because we weren't super full from dinner anymore either.

I did the HEA party with Plaza viewing 100% for the reserved area. I'm usually solo, pretty short and apparently give off serious "Go ahead and jump in front of me last second, I love that." vibes. I've never had a problem with the others in the Plaza viewing area and always had plenty of personal space and a good view of the projections. I hate, hate, hate the stress of holding down a spot.

That said, now that I've seen HEA twice and HalloWishes once with Plaza viewing I'll probably skip it for a while. I'm not a fan of either the food or the beverage (Would it kill them to have ice?) options. The Halloween themed desserts were especially bad this year IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter