What is the appeal of the dessert parties?

*guilty of not reading all replies*

I did one over the summer at MK. I felt it was worth it. My DD, while 15, has high functioning autism and trouble with crowds. We tour in our own special way, but in 4 trips she had never seen fireworks at MK. She used have such an aversion to noise I didn’t try fireworks, and once when I was goaded into trying it, had to run down Main Steeet, USA with her in my arms while she screamed. As she has matured, she has been able to try new things.

Without sounding too over the top, watching her see the fireworks and the projections with a sparkle in her eye made the price worth it for me. Everyone has things they value, and it’s great when something that costs a lot of money ends up having a lot of value.

She synced the soundtrack and listened through her earbuds, so she barely heard the fireworks, and no one was touching her at all. We sat in the back, closer to the middle than the coveted left back fence, but we had plenty of room. Outside our safe space looked pretty much like chaos to me.

ETA: we did kind of make it our dinner. We had BoG for lunch at 2:00 or something like that, then had a snack when we got back to the resort.

I'm sure there are people who love them, but I have done 2 (MK Terrace and HS Star Wars) and didn't care for either. I don't like the food, I didn't find the views great, and (HS Star Wars) we don't drink. However, that's just our opinion. I would not do it again but I did it once, and I'm glad I had the experience.

Just some prior info - before the MK dessert party was even introduced and the terrace was wide open (empty) for anyone to view from, dh & I tried it one night for fireworks. The view was so bad (could not see all the fireworks - either because of overhang or trees - that we soon left it for a better view.
Now, to pay an exorbitant price for the view and the desserts - it's laughable to us.

Also, we never stake out a spot an hour in advance, usually about 15 min. and we always have a great view without bothering anyone, or for the most part anyone obstructing us - people tend to shift a little and you just deal with it.

We do not pay Disney extra for their over priced hard ticket parties, but always enjoy what we pay for with our admission tickets, and have always been satisfied.

We attended the WoC dessert party at DL and loved it. WELL worth it, considering it was a seat and goodies, in a sea of standing-room only.
I'm so sad looking for one this trip. Are there NONE which offer sparkling wine anymore?? It's a bunch of $$, but worse when you don't drink what they offer...

Does anyone know? @FastPasser. ??

We did the HEA Plaza Garden Party and the Stars Wars party for our family trip to WDW in Aug 2017, and they were both worth every penny due to physical considerations for our crew. My in-laws are older and can't stand for an hour to hold viewing spots, and we have a 60-lb 5 year old who would have to be held up to see the shows. (Been there, done that...and my back and knees don't like it.) We didn't drink the alcohol, but there was a wonderful variety of non-alcoholic beverages, snacks and desserts, so everyone found something they liked. The dessert parties allowed us fantastic views and no stress at the end of long touring days. I do wish the Star Wars party had chairs, though, because my FIL has some mobility issues and had to sit on the floor.

I also agree with the poster above who mention the WOC Dessert parties at DCA as being fantastic. I preferred the variety of the WDW dessert options, but being able to relax and have unobstructed views of the show was amazing, and you can stay in your seat and let the exting crowd disperse a bit afterward. Even with dining packages, viewing WOC was often difficult because our kids just couldn't see the show. So we just started going to the WOC dessert parties 1-2 times per year, and it just makes the whole experience so much more comfortable and fun. Can't wait till it comes back...whenever that is!

Just some prior info - before the MK dessert party was even introduced and the terrace was wide open (empty) for anyone to view from, dh & I tried it one night for fireworks. The view was so bad (could not see all the fireworks - either because of overhang or trees - that we soon left it for a better view.
Now, to pay an exorbitant price for the view and the desserts - it's laughable to us.

Also, we never stake out a spot an hour in advance, usually about 15 min. and we always have a great view without bothering anyone, or for the most part anyone obstructing us - people tend to shift a little and you just deal with it.

We do not pay Disney extra for their over priced hard ticket parties, but always enjoy what we pay for with our admission tickets, and have always been satisfied.

Hey, that's cool, they're not for you.

My experience wasn't ruined because I couldn't see 100% of the projections and fireworks, however. We had a great time doing the HEA dessert party at Tomorrowland Terrace.

The last one we did, was back in 2015 when Wishes was still showing as a special treat for my birthday. It was a good time and it was nice to get a good view of the fireworks without waiting forever. (like we did this year for HEA, waited an hour but got a great face-on view of the castle)

About a month later, the prices went up significantly, and that was the end of us doing dessert parties.

Each time we visit WDW we try to have a new experience. It was only a matter of time before we did a Dessert Party. Ours was the (Wishes) Fireworks Dessert Party. Our children (then 8 and 11 years old) still talk about how great the desserts were, though I think the experience of choosing their own from the ornate display was a huge part of it. Having a full view of the fireworks while seated comfortably was a bonus.

It's a lot more expensive now than just four years ago, but I'd still probably do it again if it was our first dessert party.

Yea, we watch from our boardwalk view villa balcony. It’s far but it’s all I need to see.

I have not done a dessert party BUT I am definitely going to book one and would like to book another but only if there's extra in the budget. I can say what's appealing for someone that hasn't experienced one yet, but hopefully will soon.

Frozen Dessert Party: I've seen illuminations from rather good views, so that's not why, the reason is because I love the theme :) I adore Elsa and the decorations, food theming and Frozen ride is something that appeals to me and my boyfriend (he likes Olaf and loves to see me happy). This is the party we are budgeting for and will book when January dates open up.

River of Lights Party: We have not been to AK since Pandora and ROL debuted. I adore the concept of the show and so excited to see it. This one, the view/ease of getting a good spot is what appeals to us. For me, the food theming does it again! The dessert flavors are also different from normal fare, which also appeals to us.

Star Wars Party: Not for our upcoming trip, but maybe our next trip. This one is for theming because my boyfriend is a Star Wars fan and has not experienced the show (we haven't been in a while either).

Bottom line, what appeals to us is wonderful Disney theming. Lots of small things seem to be getting more generic at the parks and we just love having those small bits of magic that we can immerse ourselves further into :)

Frozen Dessert Party: I've seen illuminations from rather good views, so that's not why, the reason is because I love the theme I adore Elsa and the decorations, food theming and Frozen ride is something that appeals to me and my boyfriend
Just so you're not disappointed, once inside the party venue there is minimal Frozen theming. Except for the lighted centerpieces on the tables, it's not apparent that it's a Frozen theme. IMO, what makes the party is the lagoon-side ambiance, as long as it takes place outdoors.

Just so you're not disappointed, once inside the party venue there is minimal Frozen theming. Except for the lighted centerpieces on the tables, it's not apparent that it's a Frozen theme. IMO, what makes the party is the lagoon-side ambiance, as long as it takes place outdoors.
So it doesn't still have the glowy ice tables for the food? Or Frozen entrance banners? The food still has Froaen themed touches, right?

So it doesn't still have the glowy ice tables for the food? Or Frozen entrance banners? The food still has Froaen themed touches, right?
The row of Plexiglas buffet tables with LED lights underneath are still there. I don't recall there ever being Frozen entrance banners, and I've been around since the very first FEA party. However, there are two large Frozen themed rolling pedestals right after the check-in podium. They weigh a ton and are a pain to push to and from the party venue to their backstage location. IMO, that's minimal theming. When they offered the Frozen dessert party at DHS a few years ago, there was a lot more theming.

The row of Plexiglas buffet tables with LED lights underneath are still there. I don't recall there ever being Frozen entrance banners, and I've been around since the very first FEA party. However, there are two large Frozen themed rolling pedestals right after the check-in podium. They weigh a ton and are a pain to push to and from the party venue to their backstage location. IMO, that's minimal theming. When they offered the Frozen dessert party at DHS a few years ago, there was a lot more theming.
Oh pedestals, I thought they were banners. Well, as stated, I have not done a dessert party, so I have nothing to compare it to with more theming. So, this will have to do since Disney likes to cut them corners.

Oh pedestals, I thought they were banners. Well, as stated, I have not done a dessert party, so I have nothing to compare it to with more theming. So, this will have to do since Disney likes to cut them corners.

I guess I'm just easy to please, but I thought the themeing was pretty good! Not crazy over the top, but not non-existent either. It's mostly in the dessert names, but they are kinda cute/creative. :-)

IMG_5017.jpg IMG_5022.jpg IMG_5067.jpg IMG_5068.jpg IMG_5100.jpg IMG_5065.jpg

I haven't read all the replies, but I thought I would chime in as to why we book the parties if we want to see the fireworks in MK or DHS. My DS11 has an anxiety disorder and we had two very bad experiences in MK when attempting to watch Wishes in years past. The crowd during and after the fireworks was just too much for him. We completely gave up on the fireworks until they introduced the Wishes dessert party and that made it possible for us to stay for the show. We've done the plaza garden viewing party three times (once for Wishes, once for HEA and once for Holiday Wishes) and just did the terrace party for MNSSHP which I loved! We've also done the SWaGS party which was nice though I found the sound to be distorted because we were so close to the show. We haven't done the Rivers of Light, Frozen or Fantasmic parties as the set-up for those shows makes it easier for DS to watch (sitting in a stadium or having a lot of space along the EP lagoon doesn't bother him) so we don't find it necessary, although, I'm tempted to do the Frozen one before Illuminations changes next year. Anyway - just thought I'd chime in with our experience as the dessert parties have allowed us to watch the fireworks comfortably which allows us to get some extra time in the park as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter