What is something your parents told you that you follow their advice?

IF you can't stay completely in your own lane, you're going too fast.

Give without the expectation of receiving anything in return.
:lovestruc My dear parents were exceedingly generous, among their other virtues. I took it for granted, but it was humbling to see how it affected DH when he met them. My Dad was a great mentor to him in that regard and giving (without expectation of return :thumbsup2) has definitely become a high value in our household.

I have to say my parents (very dysfunctional) didn't tell me anything memorable.

Alas, I'm in your boat. My mom passed when I was young, so we didn't have time for heartfelt conversations that I would have remembered; my father was a drunk, who literally would come home, take me to the bar/restaurant next door for dinner, then we'd stay there until almost bedtime, when we'd go home. I could play Ms Pac-Man like no one else, though, and I can make a mean Shirley Temple.

My kids, they get everything I can give. Even when they don't appreciate the advice.

Always have a blanket in your trunk

Don't use fabric softener on towels

When someone gives you a gift make sure to read the card, if one is given, without concern to the actual gift be that a material item or $.

My Mom always told me "don't wish bad on others" and "no good will ever come from taking something that is not yours"

I live by this advise, and have never been sorry that I did.

my grandpa always says "relationships are complicated" and my mom has always told me that you don't have to like everyone, but you do have to be kind and respectful and tolerant.

I followed my parents example regarding finances and it's really paid off, so to speak. Never carry a balance on a credit card. Only charge as much as you can pay off at the end of the month.
This. Although thanks to "rewards" I violate part of that, charging groceries, and paying the bill off as soon as I get home. My parents always subscribed to the idea you never charge something that isn't going to still be around when you get the bill a month later.

Also....if you can't pay cash for a car, you can't afford to buy that car. I have purchase 9 cars in the last 42 years, 5 for cash, 4 I financed, so still batting over 500 on that one.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter