What is going on with Disney parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I’m understanding correctly, you scored Kali, Safari, and FoP as 4th, 5th, and 6th FP? Or, are you staying Club Level at Yacht and utilizing the CLFP offering? Either way, that would be a great day at AK any day of the year. Even better on Christmas Eve!
Getting FPs, even with the new system on the app, isnt difficult. We used 11 FPs on Christmas day across 2 parks. After getting in at 6 and riding 7 Dwarves, BTMRR, Space, and HM with pretty much zero waits, we pulled FPs for JC, PoC, Buzz, Pan, Teacups, Mermaid, Pooh, and then moved over to AK after pulling an EE, and while at AK pulled safari, Dinosaur, and FoP. I just went online to see how crowds are today because we were thinking of bouncing into a park this evening after work and found I could pull pretty much anything I wanted at any park with a little patience.
We usually only go one of the days on weekends, but, we dont have to work the next two days and are doing NYE at Epcot so tonight may happen depending on weather and if we want to make the drive from Clearwater 2 nights in a row.
But we havent had a Saturday or Sunday since we moved to Clearwater in August when we went to a park we couldnt pull whatever we wanted. In fact we generally start at Epcot or MK because 1. we know we can burn 3 FPs easily and 2. we know we can pull FoP around Midday and then go to Ak to finish the day.

I'm a little late to the party, but didn't bring my laptop on our trip (and I can't read the boards on my phone). We spent 2 nights on property 12/23-12/25 at ASMo and we opened to closed MK on 12/24. It was crowded, but not too bad at all! I wasn't expecting to do nearly as many rides as we did - pretty much did all the rides we wanted to by noon with a 7 a.m. opening (aside from a 1:30 7DMT FP+, and we were not doing Space or Big Thunder this trip). A 2:15 p.m. ADR at Skipper's Canteen which was on time, then we spent a few hours wandering around, catching a couple of shows, occasional ride, etc. Extra FP+ were fairly easy to get for a party of 3, I lost count of how many we added throughout the day and late night.

Crowds ticked up in the afternoon and, for us, the worst part was the 6:15 p.m. Frozen castle lightning, but we walked up minutes before so that was our own fault. Park was pretty crowded until after the fireworks, then it seemed to empty out again. From 10:30 until midnight we did several rides - PoC, Splash, Buzz, PeopleMover, Philharmonic, and ended with jumping on Peter Pan line at 11:55 p.m., out by 12:15- am-ish.

This was our first time in the parks during Christmas week since we usually use military tickets and this week is blacked out, so we did the 1-day ticket this year to experience some of the holiday events that end by Jan. 1. (we have done New Year's week previously). That being said, I can't compare our experience to previous years, but felt it was a lot easier to navigate than it was during President's week 2018.

I'm a little late to the party, but didn't bring my laptop on our trip (and I can't read the boards on my phone). We spent 2 nights on property 12/23-12/25 at ASMo and we opened to closed MK on 12/24. It was crowded, but not too bad at all! I wasn't expecting to do nearly as many rides as we did - pretty much did all the rides we wanted to by noon with a 7 a.m. opening (aside from a 1:30 7DMT FP+, and we were not doing Space or Big Thunder this trip). A 2:15 p.m. ADR at Skipper's Canteen which was on time, then we spent a few hours wandering around, catching a couple of shows, occasional ride, etc. Extra FP+ were fairly easy to get for a party of 3, I lost count of how many we added throughout the day and late night.

Crowds ticked up in the afternoon and, for us, the worst part was the 6:15 p.m. Frozen castle lightning, but we walked up minutes before so that was our own fault. Park was pretty crowded until after the fireworks, then it seemed to empty out again. From 10:30 until midnight we did several rides - PoC, Splash, Buzz, PeopleMover, Philharmonic, and ended with jumping on Peter Pan line at 11:55 p.m., out by 12:15- am-ish.

This was our first time in the parks during Christmas week since we usually use military tickets and this week is blacked out, so we did the 1-day ticket this year to experience some of the holiday events that end by Jan. 1. (we have done New Year's week previously). That being said, I can't compare our experience to previous years, but felt it was a lot easier to navigate than it was during President's week 2018.

I dont know how you can stay in a park that long. You are dedicated!

2. we know we can pull FoP around Midday and then go to Ak to finish the day.

I’m a pretty dedicated “refresher” and have never been able to get FoP on the day. I’ve dropped a few so I know it is possible but you have to be lucky. I don’t think you can rely on getting FPs like that so readily.

They might not have reached phase 4 where they dont even allow onsite guests in the park but either way they absolutely have reached capacity and shut down all ticket booths and didnt allow any new quests in the park and yes this has happened almost every xmas the last few years, we can split hairs all day long. When they shut down all ticket booths and close gates to new guests, that's a substantial closure due to park reaching capacity and they also announce this as well. I'm speaking from actual personal experience, whether its phase 2 or phase 4, when they close the booths its because park is at capacity and the crowd is unlike anything u will ever experience at WDW unless u have been there yourself.

They might not have reached phase 4 where they dont even allow onsite guests in the park but either way they absolutely have reached capacity and shut down all ticket booths and didnt allow any new quests in the park and yes this has happened almost every xmas the last few years, we can split hairs all day long. When they shut down all ticket booths and close gates to new guests, that's a substantial closure due to park reaching capacity and they also announce this as well. I'm speaking from actual personal experience, whether its phase 2 or phase 4, when they close the booths its because park is at capacity and the crowd is unlike anything u will ever experience at WDW unless u have been there yourself.
I guess it all depends on your definition of "at capacity". To mean this means Phase 4, and nothing else.

I guess it all depends on your definition of "at capacity". To mean this means Phase 4, and nothing else.
Yeah I agree in this context. To me, when we're talking about this context 'at capacity' means no one is being let in. Under the other phased closures people are let in but they have to meet certain criteria such as on-site guest, FP, ADR, tickets already purchased, etc

Otherwise it's more just about limiting not baring access to all.

To me, it's when Disney shuts down the ticket booths, stops allowing new guest to enter the park and announces the park has reached capacity. But if you want get technical, it's not what u define, it's what u choose to recognize. Disney has already defined what they consider "park capacity" is and it starts with phase 1 through phase 4 with phase 1 being the official park has reached capacity. Now ur more than welcome to only recognize phase 4 but that doesn't make phase 1-3 nonexistent but as far definition, well now that's completely on Disney and they define park capacity officially starting at phase 1.

Last edited:
We just got back yesterday, stayed from the 19th to the 30th. I can say with 100% confidence that the parks (all of them) were not as crowded as they were in 2018 same exact week. Now Disney Springs was a mad house on Christmas day but everything else was Spring Break level or maybe a little less. I don't believe Star Wars had anything to do with it but I do believe that Disney is finally starting to price people out. I know several people that have told me after the price increases over the last few years they are done. I'm getting close but not yet. We are considering not renewing our AP and staying less often or at a lower price resort but right now we are really enjoying our time so the Mouse can still take my money.

Edit: I was crunching numbers for our April trip. We are doing 3 days at Disney's Vero Beach then 5 days at WDW. The WDW part was $3,800 and change at Beach Club CL. I just changed our stay to Saratoga Springs, added a day, upgraded the room to a 1 bedroom villa and knocked $600 off the stay. We are all about trying new things and we haven't stayed in a one bedroom yet. I hope I made a good decision!

Last edited:
At capacity means no one is allowed in, aka, Phase 4. Look up what the different phases of closure are and what they entail. No, Phase 1 does not mean the park is at capacity. LOL

At capacity means no one is allowed in, aka, Phase 4. Look up what the different phases of closure are and what they entail. No, Phase 1 does not mean the park is at capacity. LOL
Yes phases limit the guests. Only phase 4 doesn't allow guests in. The ticket booths aren't shut down either. You could theoretically buy an annual pass and get in still.

You'd be charged the no show fee if you didn't show up for the ADR though.

If you don’t go to it, yes. I suppose the ADRs specifically in MK are pretty limited to begin with so probably not something that would work out.

If one was really determined to get into MK it looks like you could buy memory maker. That’s adding quite a bit of expense to get in on a crazy busy day if you weren’t already going to get it though.

I think people are finally wise-ing up to the times of year to avoid thanks to the internet and many crowd calendars. Christmas to new years will always be crowded but todays disney guests are more informed then those 10-15 years ago. Unfortunately i think the complexity and price is starting to scare people away

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter