What insurance on new Iphone is the best?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
What insurance would you recommend for a brand new Apple Ihpone 8 256 GB phone? Right now, I got it on sale for $21 a month, 24 months. Husband needs good insurance.

I bought my clutzy DD Apple Care for her phone. She used it for a broken screen in the first year. I would also invest in a sturdy case.

My regular insurance company (auto and house) sells phone insurance at less than half of what Apple charges -

The best insurance for an iPhone is to spend 1/4 the price and get an Android that is 100x better than anything Apple ever made.

Sorry, couldn't resist... :D

The apple phones are cheap. Last time I bought one from Virgin Mobile it was only $189. The service is cheap too. $33 per month for unlimited.

i was going to say the same-it's one of the perks that a couple of my cards make a habit of reminding people of. i also highly recommend otter box cases-i've got one family member who is really hard on phones so they've been a life (and phone) save.

Agree with the Otter Box. I drop my phone all the time. Never a cracked screen.

Just charge your cell phone on one of the credit cards that gives you the insurance for free...

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/credit-cards-with-phone-protection/
I always buy big ticket items with one of these kind of credit cards because they double the manufacture’s warranty.

I have tried to use the extended warranty twice. The first time was on a laptop that failed catastrophically. I took it into a local repair place for an estimate and instead of paying to fix it, AMEX refunded my purchase price. Cool. The second time was on an iPhone that turned red hot, then bricked. The purchase had been made on an AMEX card that we no longer had because of annual fees. AMEX refused to honor the extended warranty because we no longer had that specific card with them even though we were still an AMEX customer with other cards. Apple stepped in and replaced the phone even though it was out of warranty. So ... if you use one of those cards for warranty protection on a big ticket item make sure you plan on keeping the card for the duration.

Another thing to remember is that a regular manufacturer’s warranty, which is being doubled, does not typically include accidental damage. If you’re looking for insurance because you’re a klutz it won’t help you.

Check with your homeowner/renters insurance company, compare with AppleCare. But whatever you do don't buy the over priced insurance from the carrier.

Being you are financing the phone you will not qualify for Credit card protection. The house insurance person -- please understand you will be putting a claim in against your house insurance and your rates will go up a claim is a claim even on optional insurance. For any IPhone 8 and up apple care is your best option if you crack the screen it has to be replaced by Apple or a certified Apple repair center otherwise the dimmer will no longer work -- Thank you Apple -- you should also buy a case that has a built in screen protector you can get them on Amazon under various makes for under 20.00 sometimes under 10... The ones with the ugly crappy screen protector actually have a space around the phone acting as a cushion if you drop it.... I have a Supcase rolled my IPhone X on the concrete with no issue My 12 year old has a 7 -- 11 when we got it for him has a similar case under a different name and no issues and he does drop it... the best 15-20 you will spend but it does make the phone look ugly...

Check with your homeowner/renters insurance company, compare with AppleCare. But whatever you do don't buy the over priced insurance from the carrier.

THIS.

We already have an Electronics rider on my renter's insurance plan. Hubby is a graphic designer, we have a smart TV, and two preteen boys so protecting expensive equipment was a must :) I verified with my insurance company that smartphones are also covered under the Electronics rider - and they also confirmed that the smartphones are covered even if the damage occurs away from the home (maybe because they're portable devices?).

Long story short, I dropped my phone carrier insurance since we were already paying the small extra premium for the electronics rider. We did have an incident with my phone when it got knocked out of my hand in the parking lot of my son's school. The deductible was exactly the same as the phone carrier's old deductible ($100) and I received a check for my replacement phone within 3 days. Super easy and I will never carry phone carrier insurance again.

Being you are financing the phone you will not qualify for Credit card protection. The house insurance person -- please understand you will be putting a claim in against your house insurance and your rates will go up a claim is a claim even on optional insurance. For any IPhone 8 and up apple care is your best option if you crack the screen it has to be replaced by Apple or a certified Apple repair center otherwise the dimmer will no longer work -- Thank you Apple -- you should also buy a case that has a built in screen protector you can get them on Amazon under various makes for under 20.00 sometimes under 10... The ones with the ugly crappy screen protector actually have a space around the phone acting as a cushion if you drop it.... I have a Supcase rolled my IPhone X on the concrete with no issue My 12 year old has a 7 -- 11 when we got it for him has a similar case under a different name and no issues and he does drop it... the best 15-20 you will spend but it does make the phone look ugly...

I have my phones included in the Electronics rider under my renter's insurance. We have processed 3 claims in the last 2 years, and my rates have not increased at all. If that happens, you need a better insurance company :)

The Apple Care is outrageously priced. The profit margins on that product are enormous.

The best insurance for an iPhone is to spend 1/4 the price and get an Android that is 100x better than anything Apple ever made.

Sorry, couldn't resist... :D
Totally agree. He won't have it. I am the only Android user in the house.

Correct, no credit card will cover this.

The apple phones are cheap. Last time I bought one from Virgin Mobile it was only $189. The service is cheap too. $33 per month for unlimited.

I know, I was just taking a for fun cheap shot 'cause I can't stand Apple stuff. If they charged $1.89 for their phones, I'd say they're still overpriced. DW tried Apple stuff for a while and literally my free Android...you know the super cheap one they give you if you sign up with a company like Cricket Wireless ... worked far better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter