What in the heck--a waiting room for online shopping???

wallyeva123

Earning My Ears
They can't be serious. It's so incredibly manipulative. So either disney has become incredibly manipulative and i already regret buying our park tickets yesterday OR they're completely incompetent when it comes to any kind of tech services and can't manage their shopping website. Either way it's completely pathetic!!!

There's a release of some popular merchandise today. I think one of the "Stitch Crashes Disney" line. They're doing it so the entire system doesn't crash (like Stitch I suppose).

Regardless, it's still absurd that Disney has such terrible systems that they can't handle it any other way.

Disney definitely manipulates the supply for "supply and demand." Sounds like another example.

The waiting rooms are actually a result of the site being TOO scalable - too many people can hit it all at the same time, outstripping the actual inventory. That is why they virtual queue for merch drops when they suspect demand will greatly outstrip supply and also for dining reservation drops when there is a lot of pent up excitement and demand but limited availability.

It is one of the few areas I feel like Disney IT has improved on. That said the crashes and issues with virtual queue are obnoxious and need to be fixed.

The waiting rooms are actually a result of the site being TOO scalable - too many people can hit it all at the same time, outstripping the actual inventory. That is why they virtual queue for merch drops when they suspect demand will greatly outstrip supply and also for dining reservation drops when there is a lot of pent up excitement and demand but limited availability.

It is one of the few areas I feel like Disney IT has improved on. That said the crashes and issues with virtual queue are obnoxious and need to be fixed.
Yet somehow Amazon and Ticketmaster handle it.

This isn't improved IT. It's pacing the access to the IT to protect it from being overwhelmed.

Yeah, they have a problem with their tech. A few years back they offshored most of their tech and this is is likely a symptom of getting what you pay for.

Disney NEVER cares or spends money on 'backstage' stuff. The websites look pretty and shine but spends no money for the function.

Yet somehow Amazon and Ticketmaster handle it.

This isn't improved IT. It's pacing the access to the IT to protect it from being overwhelmed.
Software engineer here. The queueing system is actually an excellent way to not oversell inventory.

Person has 5 minutes to check out. If everyone hits the site at one time how do keep count of people who put it in the cart and then don't finish the transaction (by choice, by loss of internet, etc).

I don't want to be too detailed but in short basically it's system intensive to write/read to the centralized data storage. You can throw all the hardware you want at it but in the end you still need a way to sync the count and let anyone and everyone on the store know it.

How do I know this? Last job I had was e-commerce for a global company. The queueing system is actually a well done implementation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter