What I witnessed at Flame Tree today...

I have seen quite a few gross bathroom at Disney world in my time. I usually go at busy times and there is no way staff can keep up with the cleanliness of the restrooms at these times.

3 locations that really stand out to me is:

#1 the one under the bridge between Adventureland and Frontierland. I have encountered a pretty gross scene more than once but not at Disney's fault. It has always been at night around parade or fireworks time. People are just gross. I have encountered this one being dirty more than all the others. Christmas week and During our June vacations.

#2 - The second location is in Epcot, the bathroom by test track can get really gross. I have only encountered this one being dirty on one occasion at Christmas week.

#3 - in AK - the bathroom in Africa closest to Kilimanjaro Safaris. This one was also during Christmas Week.

I posted this on another thread, but one time a few years back, while waiting in line for the Haunted Mansion, I watched an adult pick up a young boy of about 4 or five, put him on the right side wall, drop his pants, and urinate right there for all to witness.

While not nearly as nasty as the original poster's story this one was somewhat amusing and horrifying at the same time.

We were having lunch last September at the Electric Umbrella in Epcot sitting in the upstairs sitting area which is great for people watching but I never thought this good. What sounded like an Australian family (parents, grandparents, grandchildren) settled in right across from us to enjoy their lunch. One of the grandchildren, probably a four year old boy was having the time of his life walking around with his Crush plush turtle making it look like Crush is swimming along quite convincingly. Crush is "swimming" along the handrails up to the second level, across tables and next up crush swims up one side of the garbage can down the other. Next up crush swims over to mom and we are horrified at what we see happen next. The boy swims Crush up mom's arm up the side of her head, over the top and down the other side for good measure. It was one of those check please moments. Sure the food there might not be memorable but entertainment surely is.

This would not have even registered as gross with me. I am sure my kids have done it to me a million times.

We don't wipe stuff down, use anti-bacterial stuff (well, one of us does - my husband), and honestly, the only rule I have is that we all wash our hands before we eat.

Rarely sick. Never have picked up anything at WDW (knock on wood).

Yes, people do gross things, but I think wiping down everything/super sanitizing everything does more harm...

ETA - I do think that the diaper changing at the table was disgusting...if it was poop. Pee...eh, I don't care about that. My kids were always changed in a stroller or on a table in a bathroom. A few times I used the bathroom floor. At WDW, there is no excuse for using a eating table..

I understand being the parent of a young child that you sometimes do what you have to do. There is a lot I would excuse because it's a tough job. Changing a diaper at a table is nasty and I wonder how they'd feel if the people who ate at that table before them had done he same?! Yuck!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

SO, if I may ask: What is your recourse if this occurs at a TS? I understand a QS you would have already paid, etc. but if you complain to a CM, would they move you? Comp you?

This is pretty nasty imho; I would be able to stomach it, but DW and DDx2 would probably be done, at it would be pretty unfair to pay for a meal when it goes uneaten because of this.

(*Not trying to get a free meal or anything, just wondering).

My kids are old enough to drive but I pushed strollers through the parks for years and my arms would ache. Not from pushing but from yanking them to a stop. Those double strollers do not come with air brakes. Dozens of people have stepped in front of me especially common at the AK as the sidewalks meander. Of course there was always someone once a day to come to a full stop right in front of me to look at a map. I always calmly said "Careful" as someone glared at me because THEY weren't paying attention.::yes::

Exactly, folks stopping in front of you suddenly to look at a map or phone. MK has been crowded more than I have seen in the past. Yesterday, Epcot was great so problems with getting around.

One thing we saw yesterday when we were heading to Polynesian for breakfast and we went via bus to MK then monorail to Polynesian. There was a dad with a young child in the stroller and an older girl about 8 or 9 years old with a flowing type long costume on. They were headed to MK and it was not crowded on the walkway but this guy was in a huge hurry- maybe he had to be somewhere for a reservation or just was in a hurry in general. This was about 9am. The carriage pusher bumped into the girl, her dress got caught under the wheel and she fell and the carriage hit her again. The carriage pusher yanked her up by the arm, she is sobbing and he is yelling at her. Not a happy start to the day for that child.

Interesting to sit back and watch - some folks are so relaxed, happy and taking their time others have a frantic look as they rush around - this more obvious later in the day. I do know that I am so grateful that when my children were young we were able to stay on the monorail and were able to head back to resort in the middle of the day for rest or pool time - that made all the difference in the world.

Changing a diaper at a table where others eat is not only disgusting but dangerous. I can't believe that if a cm was notified that they would not do something and if the diaper was already changed at least tell the people this is not allowed in restaurants. I'm sure the health department would have a field day with this!

I am not a fan of changing stations in restrooms (some are just really nasty and I know others have nasty people using them.) With that said, after 3 children in diapers I have become a pro at changing a diaper in the stroller :)

That's where I was going to chime in. When DS was 16months on our 2011 trip there were several time when DW would change his diaper in the stroller. We never did so or even thought of doing so in a restaurant though. Just the smell embarrassing.

My first thought when I saw your post was "Isn't there a family restroom directly across from Flame Tree?" That's rude, disgusting and just plain lazy! :crazy2:

Let me guess? They must have been European. :rolleyes:

Such a lovely opinion of the Europeans. Of course Americans are not nearly as badly behaved!

Anyway, I too have witnessed this behaviour. Unacceptable.

For anyone heading to the world; alcohol gels and wipes are good, but it is only soap and warm water which will destroy norovirus spores. Be warned.
Wash your hands well before you eat.

I will never drink from another water fountain in a theme park again after I saw a mother using one as a baby bidet in Adventureland a while back.:eek:

:thumbsup2 You and me both!! I learned it the hard way also several years ago and always just get my water free at the CS.

I cringe when people on the Dis encourage others to use refillable water bottles at the fountains :crazy2: Do they actually have to see it to believe it?? :confused3 It is soooo nasty! Some people are so crude and don't seem to think anything of it - guess that's the way they live at home also. :rolleyes2 Just like the poopy diaper changed at the table - gross!

The birds and ducks in that area are bad enough. We have started getting our food and going elsewhere with it.

I'm trying very hard not to use childfree pejoratives. Nope, can't do it. There are no other words for the stereotypical nastiness of the bechilded (as much as I want to use the other b-word). Just....eww.

When our DD was 1 years old, I changed her clothes while sitting at an outside table (off to the side, BTW) because she had gotten her lunch all down her outfit. She was still wearing her onesie vest so nobody could even see her diaper. We were dining at the CS place in American Adventure in Epcot.

I was approached by a CM who advised me that changing a diaper in public was illegal in Florida and asked if I was aware I could be fined. I told him that we were only changing her clothes (and showed him the fine mess her t-shirt was in) and advised that I knew there were changing facilities only a few metres away. He chatted for a while, telling us that they often find used diapers in all sorts of weird and wonderful places - on top of trash bins, queues, dining tables and in even ride vehicles! :sad2:

That is so rude and disgusting.
I refuse to use changing tables anywhere...even those that look clean at Disney. You can't see germs.
That said, we always change in the stroller (usually in a restroom or at least tucked away in a quiet corner)

This would not have even registered as gross with me. I am sure my kids have done it to me a million times.

We don't wipe stuff down, use anti-bacterial stuff (well, one of us does - my husband), and honestly, the only rule I have is that we all wash our hands before we eat.

Rarely sick. Never have picked up anything at WDW (knock on wood).

Yes, people do gross things, but I think wiping down everything/super sanitizing everything does more harm...

ETA - I do think that the diaper changing at the table was disgusting...if it was poop. Pee...eh, I don't care about that. My kids were always changed in a stroller or on a table in a bathroom. A few times I used the bathroom floor. At WDW, there is no excuse for using a eating table..

Totally agree. On a table at an eating establishment? No.

But really, if the "stuff" was contained in a diaper and you are not going to touch anything surrounding that child even if in a stroller alongside a pathway, why bother?

If you think it's gross and the parents lazy or entitled, that's fine too. But why bring up something that maybe will live in your minds forever (I once saw a huge lady in New Orleans after a Super Bowl not take lightly to a huge line at the public restroom in Jackson Square and use the sink) but the other is just trying get the job done. You have no idea what their day has been or what they are dealing with. I once has to pull over to the side of the ride after an emergency situation and my son had to go so he did - before I pulled over. As I was changing his cothes (and cleaning up), a cop stopped and wanted to know what I was doing. Once I explained, he moved on. So, you never know.

You might want to think about the other side before you condemn.

This would not have even registered as gross with me. I am sure my kids have done it to me a million times. We don't wipe stuff down, use anti-bacterial stuff (well, one of us does - my husband), and honestly, the only rule I have is that we all wash our hands before we eat. Rarely sick. Never have picked up anything at WDW (knock on wood). Yes, people do gross things, but I think wiping down everything/super sanitizing everything does more harm... ETA - I do think that the diaper changing at the table was disgusting...if it was poop. Pee...eh, I don't care about that. My kids were always changed in a stroller or on a table in a bathroom. A few times I used the bathroom floor. At WDW, there is no excuse for using a eating table..

Right there with you. I never sanitize things. I don't believe I'm hand sanitizer or carrying wipes everywhere. Honest and truly I think the reason people get so sick is that they spend so much time sanitizing their world that when one tiny little germ breaks through, their bodies can't handle it. My kids never ever ever get sick and hand sanitizer is a bad word in our house. I don't think it's a coincidence!

I still think changing a diaper at the table is disgusting, especially in a place that has so many bathrooms available. What on earth would make them think that was a good idea? Or even an option?

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter