What happened to these boards?

New member here....

this DISBoards place is HUGE. Almost as huge as the Magic Kingdom!

It's hard to know where to post, and I've found out, no matter how diplomatic of an answer you post, plenty of people will disagree with you! ;)

I totally agree - we are here to chat and ask questions and there are some amazingly helpful people but there are others who expect you just to search and can be quite negative - surely if we just search we won't keep the camaraderie going and perhaps that's why there are less posting?

For me, TPAS has always been my "go-to" board and I agree with the OP that things seem less lively. I also agree that I think its in part to so many threads being moved. I'm not saying they don't technically belong more correctly in a sub-forum, but for me, when I post a question or comment on TPAS and it gets moved, I essentially get little to no feedback after that. It appears to me that people just aren't digging into some of the sub-forums (or, like me, they lose track of where it got moved to!).

This is still a good place for a lot of great (and some not so great) information, but it definitely doesn't feel as active as a few years ago.

I have no problem using search and use it enough with success but sometimes it just doesn't like me and I can't find what I'm looking for. Sometimes I just want peoples perspective on something. Or even better the answer is just old and I'm not sure it still applies things just change so rapidly.

Last edited:

I think that there was a time that It was over moderated. If you worded something incorrectly, you were banned. You couldn't explain your meaning because once the decision was made, it was cast in iron. It happened to me twice and after the second time of being misunderstood, I left and didn't come back for a number of years. I'm still a little gun shy about posting because it just seemed that the "sensitivity" had gone overboard and punished even if nothing was intended to be offensive. It was like the young lady that I read about that had been expelled from school because they found an aspirin in her purse and they had Zero Drug Tolerance in the school. Common Sense was not allowed to be used and we wondered why adults were not respected by the youth. Just my humble opinion. I think it drove many people away, some for the better, however!

The loss of the app/tapatalk plugin didn't help, I'm sure, but message boards in general are losing traction everywhere in favor of more free-form sites (FB, Reddit, etc). Then they try to make up for the loss in activity by loading the sites with ever-more ads, which puts off even more people.

(I've seen this with many forums that have been around a decade plus.)

It's sad because a well-moderated forum is still my favorite way to interact online. I find Facebook bewildering and the few times I do venture in there (with a fake name) I give up soon after. Reddit is useful for some things, but it's also full of trolls and moderation there is hit or miss.

I love these boards. Maybe I'm just old, but I'm not a fan of trying to keep up with stuff on FB. And honestly aside from happening upon Reddit through a Google search I can't say I've ever went there on purpose. I have found that I do enjoy certain YouTube Vloggers and will use just a few other Disney planning sites. The Dis will always be my first choice for the best answers, it has been the single most valuable planning tool for me.

These boards keep me excited about my next Disney adventure, so I'm on everyday. Then, after my trip I stay on for awhile but move along after that doing life. I have found so much useful information in here and really enjoy getting tips and hearing the excitement about Disney. Yes, there are some negative posters, always looking at things from the "glass half empty" perspective. I don't get involved in those threads and don't respond, I just move on to another topic. I do look at new posts every day and try and find something interesting or something I can help answer. It's nice to be able to help people. I'm very appreciative of these boards and glad there are folks out there willing to share their ideas and stories.

I kinda noticed that too......I joined the boards way back in 2005, it was very active and it was my hook to the outside internet world before Facebook and before Youtube. Now, I check disboards every six months, then I won't go on for another six months. I don't think messaging boards are popular any more since the rise of social media.

I'm new to the boards and think they are kind of difficult to navigate. Maybe it's deterring people. And I consider myself extremely computer literate! However I love the Dis so I am going to join in the discussion anyways!

I kinda noticed that too......I joined the boards way back in 2005, it was very active and it was my hook to the outside internet world before Facebook and before Youtube. Now, I check disboards every six months, then I won't go on for another six months. I don't think messaging boards are popular any more since the rise of social media.
I agree but I think they're very different. Social media is more about the pics and sharing a bit of info. We used to have some very lengthy conversations here and lots of info was shared. I still see some of that on the budget board but the others not so much.

There have been some changes this week on the TPAS board. Hopefully, these will help.

The FP+ forum was merged back to the Theme Park forum. You can post about FP+ on the main TPAS board again!

This is perfect timing for keeping an eye out for when FP+ for Pandora starts.

Several important topics have been pinned so they don't have to be searched for.

A couple changes are coming to this community subforum. One of them is a new chit chat thread. https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-very-merry-unbirthday-chit-chat-thread.3592374/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter