What grinds your gears?

People who slow down to merge onto the highway...It’s an acceleration lane for a reason.
It's just drivers in general. About 95% of them.

They slow down or even stop on the highway entrance.

They just about clip your car every time when they are turning left onto your side road. When did we stop turning when entering the intersection and instead starting our turns from before the stop line even? No one makes a proper left turn any more. I've had to panic stop a car length from the stop sign just the other day because of someone turning left from the main road.

They can't focus their attention further than arms length any more, thus they catch you on the highway, slow down when they reach 2 feet, and cling to your bumper until they wake up, move over, and blast off again to the next car.

No one pulls over to the left when a car is sitting on the side of the road. They don't even do it when passing by a traffic stop.

It's 2019 and we still haven't figured out that most lesser used traffic lights are activated by sensors and if you stop 2 car lengths from the stop line or blast past and stop halfway into the intersection, the sensor or camera isn't picking you up to activate the light.

And more tailgating. There's 2 lanes people, no need to sit 2 feet from each other in a single line on the highway. Back off or move over and pass. Every single day it's a line of 10-12 cars all over each other's bumpers, then about 10 seconds of space, then me, then 10-12 cars all over each other behind me.

Hey genius in the Bro dozer or oversized soccer mom SUV behind me. I'm doing 70 in a 55. You riding my rear end blinding me with your blazing headlights at my eye and mirror level lighting up the inside of my car as if I had the interior lights on isn't going to get me to go faster. I certainly hope you're happy now because you could have been doing 70 leaving space between us so I could see too, but now you have to settle for 25!

We live in western Pennsylvania. Snow isn't a new phenomenon to western Pennsylvania. It has snowed every single winter for at least the past 46 years, often very heavy snow putting down 12+ inches. It's about time you learn how to drive in a common 2 inch dusting of snow.

There is one thing that the majority of idiot drivers do and I hope they keep doing it. They have to be in front of the stores and park as close as possible mixing it up with all the idiots that waltz out of the stores and cross without looking. I park on the outskirts and drive through the back of the lots to keep away from everyone. Please keep clogging up the front of the stores and I'll be happy out there away from you all.

LOL. Not an acceleration lane in California for part of the day (6am to 9 am and 3 pm to 6 pm). We have ramp meters with stoplights at the very end of what used to be the acceleration lane. During those hours you HAVE to stop until the light turns green
They don't just alternate any more?
Table vultures who squat at a table while their family or friends stands in line to buy food when a restaurant is busy. People with food end up circling looking for a place to sit and their food gets cold while others without food take up tables waiting.
Funny you should mention that https://www.disboards.com/threads/go-find-a-table-and-ill-wait-in-line.3739997/
1. I go grocery shopping on a Saturday morning and the store has decided this is the ideal time to restock the shelves
They do restock every day. Otherwise, Wednesdwy-Thursday-Friday shoppers would be futilely shopping empty shelves. Some stores do have an overnight crew, some don't - maybe even in the same chain. It's just a matter of finding the right store, or shopping at a different time of on a different day, or allowing more time.

It's just drivers in general. About 95% of them.

They slow down or even stop on the highway entrance.
Agreed. We have a merging lane on the highway ramp near my home. 90% of drivers stop, despite clear signage (including a large but temporary electronic sign.) But it seems nobody knows what the octagonal red and white sign means.

Last edited:
Every single day it's a line of 10-12 cars all over each other's bumpers, then about 10 seconds of space, then me
it doesn't have to be ten seconds (not that there's anything wrong with that) but at least be able to see the tires of the car in front of you. It allows space to maneuver in an emergency.

I'm surprised people don't pull into that space!

Oh, yeah, what grinds my gears. Well, since there's a lot of driver-related irks: drivers who don't stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. I don't just mean for people waiting to cross, but people in/partly through the crosswalk. There were two of us one day, same crosswalk, different directions. We were each halfway across when cars drive by us on each side of the street!

They don't just alternate any more?.
Not sure what you mean by alternate. You have to come to a complete stop at the very end of the ramp, and wait for a green light to accelerate from a dead stop.

Prius drivers are notorious for this. It is the worst in CA in the carpool lane when you can't go around them and they are going 60.

As the owner of a Prius v I could take offense, but I won’t. I have seen Prius drivers at both extremes when it comes to speed. Believe me, a Prius has no problem going fast and it doesn’t affect the mileage all that much. I drive the speed limit and stay in the right lane if there is more than one lane. But I did that when I drove a Ford as well. I have access to the fleet vehicles at work and could lose my job if I get a ticket, so I am the driver that comes to a full and complete stop, doesn’t tailgate, and doesn’t speed. I don’t expect everyone else to drive like me though.

As to what aggravates me in general, one of the big ones is people who won’t take responsibility when they make a mistake, or worse, lie and try to pin their mistake on others. We have one of those in our department at work. Everyone makes mistakes. Admit you messed up and learn something from it so you don’t mess it up again. I will not take responsibility for your mistake. Rant over :furious:

Going to the movies when it is completely empty and someone will come in just as the credits roll and sit directly in front of/behind or NEXT to me.

People who talk/text/etc during a movie. This is not your living room!

Crying babies at any movie or children of an inappropriate age at an R rated movie.

People on Facebook who post photos of abused, neglected, and even dead animals.

1. I can't do anything about it except donate to my local no-kill shelter, which I do but it doesn't help the poor dead dog in X photo or Y video.
2. It hurts my heart and makes me cry. I've unfollowed people for doing this all. the. time.
3. I get that you want to help animals, but how is upsetting people helping?

So many good ones in this thread.
This one is especially bad here in ATL. Politeness screws up traffic flow. You have green light, and person ahead of you lets someone turn right in front of them. (rinse, repeat) Then you get stuck at light, or worse, in intersection. They have a light! You don't have to be polite, they get the next turn!

Going to the movies when it is completely empty and someone will come in just as the credits roll and sit directly in front of/behind or NEXT to me.

People who talk/text/etc during a movie. This is not your living room!

Crying babies at any movie or children of an inappropriate age at an R rated movie.

LOL.. YES. I have gotten up and moved after someone picked seats directly in front of me in an empty theater. Of course, I may have mumbled under my breath about it.
Wife and I saw an R movie, and there were so many kids there. We talked to manager about it, and they say they can't do anything about it if parents are bringing them in.

LOL.. YES. I have gotten up and moved after someone picked seats directly in front of me in an empty theater. Of course, I may have mumbled under my breath about it.
Wife and I saw an R movie, and there were so many kids there. We talked to manager about it, and they say they can't do anything about it if parents are bringing them in.
We pretty much only go to AMC and their age policy is this: "In an effort to provide the most enjoyable experience for adults attending R rated movies in the evenings, no children younger than 6 will be admitted to these features after 6pm." so if I saw parents bringing in their young kids in I'd be bringing it to their attention. Mind you though I still think 6 is too young to be bringing into a movie theater for an R-rated movie (and even a PG-13 movie if the kid is one who cries and talks throughout the movie) but it would be a good policy for the babies and toddlers. Of course it's only for showings after 6pm but that should help out.

As for someone picking seats directly in front of you and moving..those days are well past now with most theaters doing reserved seating. You could still do it I guess if the showing had only a few people in it as your chance of sitting in someone's reserved seat is not high.

We pretty much only go to AMC and their age policy is this: "In an effort to provide the most enjoyable experience for adults attending R rated movies in the evenings, no children younger than 6 will be admitted to these features after 6pm." so if I saw parents bringing in their young kids in I'd be bringing it to their attention. Mind you though I still think 6 is too young to be bringing into a movie theater for an R-rated movie (and even a PG-13 movie if the kid is one who cries and talks throughout the movie) but it would be a good policy for the babies and toddlers. Of course it's only for showings after 6pm but that should help out.

As for someone picking seats directly in front of you and moving..those days are well past now with most theaters doing reserved seating. You could still do it I guess if the showing had only a few people in it as your chance of sitting in someone's reserved seat is not high.

Theaters with reserved seating tend to have more tiered seating than other theaters, meaning, there is more clearance to see over heads. So there's that... Many, maybe most, theaters don't have reserved seating, at least in all theaters, yet. (movie nerd, here) Many around here in ATL have it, but it's not ubiquitous yet. I hope it never is. It's nice to decide to see a movie on a whim every now and then.

One negative effect of assigned seating is that it doesn't force parties to sit next to each other for popular movies, so there are often empty seats when there really shouldn't be.

I see you agree with me :).
My question about that though is if that’s what the majority of ppl are doing why would you continue to get food first & walk around angrily with no place to sit? This is not a moral issue or anything so if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em. If that just became the norm no one would be mad. I personally won’t eat anywhere that I can see there is no seating so I would wait for a seat to open before I order or go somewhere else.

So many good ones in this thread.
This one is especially bad here in ATL. Politeness screws up traffic flow. You have green light, and person ahead of you lets someone turn right in front of them. (rinse, repeat) Then you get stuck at light, or worse, in intersection. They have a light! You don't have to be polite, they get the next turn!
Yes I always said your being RUDE to the 200 ppl behind you by being nice to that 1 person!

Theaters with reserved seating tend to have more tiered seating than other theaters, meaning, there is more clearance to see over heads. So there's that... Many, maybe most, theaters don't have reserved seating, at least in all theaters, yet. (movie nerd, here) Many around here in ATL have it, but it's not ubiquitous yet. I hope it never is. It's nice to decide to see a movie on a whim every now and then.
I think all of the theaters are reserved seating around here. Older theaters don't always have true stadium style seating if they can't fully renovate them to make them that way. There's an AMC on the other side of the state line from me that has the nicer recliners and it's just slightly sloped. I couldn't use the recliner because there wasn't enough slope so people's heads were in the way. I just avoid that one. There's another one that AMC bought that I haven't gone to yet but when it was the other company their seats weren't sloped enough haven't looked into if they've fully renovated that one though. Being short (5' 3") having the really sharp slope so I can enjoy my movies without someone's head is important for me :)

One negative effect of assigned seating is that it doesn't force parties to sit next to each other for popular movies, so there are often empty seats when there really shouldn't be.
I don't think that's been an issue. I mean sure you get it where a party of 2 buys two seats next to each other and then another party of 2 sits in the same row but opts to not sit right next to the other party of 2 so they leave a spot in between the two of them but if it's a sold out movie that seat in the middle of them will end up getting sold. I don't see that as any different than what would happen when parties would come in way too late into the movie and everyone has had their seats. At least now I don't have to tell people "no" when they ask me to move from my seat I've been sitting in for the past 30 mins prior to the movie starting because they've come in during the previews and can't find seats together.

When someone puts an entire email in the subject line. It is only so long, is it so hard to hit tab and type away?

People who feel the need to point out everytime there is an error, so what a word is spelled wrong. Leave it be, a misspelling in a post doesnt keep you from sleeping at night

People who want to debate everything. It comes back around to the whole opinion thing, we are all entitled to an opinion dont try to force me to agree with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter