What grinds your gears?

People who slow down to merge onto the highway...It’s an acceleration lane for a reason.

LOL. Not an acceleration lane in California for part of the day (6am to 9 am and 3 pm to 6 pm). We have ramp meters with stoplights at the very end of what used to be the acceleration lane. During those hours you HAVE to stop until the light turns green. But I agree with you, because IMHO it makes traffic worse, backing up cars on the ramp and surrounding surface streets instead of getting them on the freeway quickly.

Stores that don't put out cart corrals grind my gears. We have a couple Target stores that don't have ANY.
Stores that put cart corrals no where near the handicapped parking.

People who think a STOP sign is a suggestion, not a mandate. Usually when they are the LAST of 4 cars to arrive at the Stop sign.
People who are behind the car at the stop sign and follow the first car through the intersection without making their own required stop. :mad:

People who can't defend their position on ANYTHING. I don't care if we disagree. Just explain WHY you think the way you do. And my minor one is my kids talking to me before my coffee. My oldest has been on this planet for getting close to 11 years. He should KNOW not to talk to me until I have had at least a half a cup. But no! Mommy is up. Time to start talking about Mario Bros...:lmao:

Children and other vulnerable people being abused, neglected, or mistreated in any way. Especially when I am powerless to do anything about it. Working with kids I've seen an awful lot of awful things, sometimes I can report it as abuse or neglect but usually nothing changes in spite of getting the state involved.

Table vultures who squat at a table while their family or friends stands in line to buy food when a restaurant is busy. People with food end up circling looking for a place to sit and their food gets cold while others without food take up tables waiting.

LOL. Not an acceleration lane in California for part of the day (6am to 9 am and 3 pm to 6 pm). We have ramp meters with stoplights at the very end of what used to be the acceleration lane. During those hours you HAVE to stop until the light turns green. But I agree with you, because IMHO it makes traffic worse, backing up cars on the ramp and surrounding surface streets instead of getting them on the freeway quickly.
Right but when you don't have the metered ramps or when they are not active don't act like it is there lol it can cause accidents.

People who slow down to merge onto the highway...It’s an acceleration lane for a reason.
Just yesterday this person was coming down the cloverleaf ramp onto the highway lane and just stopped rather than continued on and merge over. That driver is so lucky everyone was paying attention because everyone had to slam on their brakes. I've never seen it happen before at that interchange. I've seen it at roundabouts (which are still crazy to do that) but not at higher speed spots.

It's a bit complicated but the cloverleaf ramp feeds into an exit AND entrance ramp. No matter what you have to merge over to an additional lane because otherwise you're going back up the cloverleaf. The exit ramp is from the highway to a road which means you merge over an additional lane to get off the highway to the road and the entrance ramp feeds into another highway which means you merge over an additional lane to get onto the other highway. Traffice between getting to the road and getting to the highway cross. This person instead of driving and then merging over full on stopped at the bottom of the cloverleaf ramp.

People who don't return their carts to the corral in supermarket or Walmart parking lots.

Even worse are the feeble excuses people give for not doing so.

My local WM recently got rid of the cart corral nearest the grocery entrance. The other day I went, and there were a good dozen carts in the parking spot where that corral was. Cracked me up! I took a pic and was gonna post it on their FB page, but they don’t allow posts with photos.

My biggest gear grinder (today, most days), people who turn on their blinkers AFTER they’ve slammed on their brakes to turn. To me, a blinker is warning the drivers behind you that soon you’ll be turning, probably braking to do so. I’m fairly certain the drivers ed class in town teaches people to signal after they brake - everyone does it! I’ve yelled at DH dozens of times and he tells me that him braking is warning people that he’s turning.

Right but when you don't have the metered ramps or when they are not active don't act like it is there lol it can cause accidents.
That's assuming there is an acceleration ramp. This is one near my house. What is it, 5 or 6 car lengths long? Thanks Google Satellite photo for the image.

Attachments

• photography.png
    photography.png
    355.6 KB · Views: 26
People who get dogs and leave them outside all the time. Why even get a dog if you’re just going to neglect it?

Sorry, but it makes me crazy, and I feel so sad for the dogs that are stuck outside all alone, especially when it freezing cold or miserably hot.
And then they bark & disturb their neighbors! I have a neighbor who leaves their dog out all the time. He barks incessantly & sounds distressed most of the time b/c he doesn’t want to be outside alone, MORONS! I’m like you. Why even have a dog?! I don’t get having outside dogs.

I know I am getting old because more and more things irritate me. Here are a few: 1. I go grocery shopping on a Saturday morning and the store has decided this is the ideal time to restock the shelves, so you can barely get through the aisles because of the big pallets of food items being unloaded. You couldn't do this overnight? Or first thing in the morning? Or on a weekday when it's less busy? 2. I go to the strip mall near my home and even though there is a large parking lot with plenty of empty spaces, there are always people who park at the curb in front of the store they want to go to, so now there is only one lane for traffic. You really can't walk the extra ten feet from the parking lot to the store?? 3. The new branch of my bank, which now has NO TELLERS. If you want money, you have to go to one of the ATMs, if you want to do anything else, you have to line up at the front desk and explain what you want to the receptionist, and then she will send you to an office where you get to explain what you need all over again to someone else. So it takes twice as long. I don't get the point. I will stop now - that was just from this morning. Wait til I go back to work on Monday, the list will get longer...

Table vultures who squat at a table while their family or friends stands in line to buy food when a restaurant is busy. People with food end up circling looking for a place to sit and their food gets cold while others without food take up tables waiting.
I’m the opposite...ppl who take their entire extended family up with them to order food. I’d rather they be at the table & one or 2 ppl ordering for the group. It does suck to have food & nowhere to sit but that only happens to us in wdw imo b/c they have a lack of adequate seating. We do table service as much as possible to avoid this & b/c I’m not waiting in line for food with an infant.

People who pull up to the curb and illegally park in front of the grocery store to use the ATM.
Or for anything! It's so bad at my favorite supermarket (redbox, running in for a few things, dropping someone off at the curb and waiting there while they shop!) the town assigned a traffic control officer to the strip mall!

That's assuming there is an acceleration ramp. This is one near my house. What is it, 5 or 6 car lengths long? Thanks Google Satellite photo for the image.
We still have plenty of cloverleaf interchanges here meaning short merging opportunities as well as other roads or highways designed with short merging lanes as well.

You still need to be accelerating as you merge onto the highway. If your exit is say 35mph to go through the cloverleaf and the highway you're going to is 70mph you better get your butt up and going as soon as you clear the cloverleaf. You can't enter the highway maintaining a 35mph speed safely with cars zooming past you or worse in the lane you are merging into at 70mph. You need to accelerate so you can more quickly match the speed limit.

Now granted I'm looking at what's in my state but here's the following for entering the highway: "Check traffic by looking in your mirrors and checking your blind spots by looking over your shoulder (head check). Make sure you use your turn signal. While increasing speed, smoothly merge into the proper lane of traffic without stopping or crossing over any solid painted lines. Cancel your turn signal upon completion of the merge."

Too much traffic on the highway means no one is going at highway speeds. That still means you should be accelerating, though of course in terms of traffic safely, not slowing down. In bumper to bumper traffic obviously you do your best to merge in as quickly and as safely as possible.

This reminds me of another thing that drives me nuts and something I can't explain.

When I drive to a store and the lot is completely empty. So I have my pick of any spot right? Great. And when I come out, the lot is still empty except for the two spots around my car which are now suddenly occupied.

Does anyone have an explanation for this truly bizarre and illogical behavior?

Happens to me all the time. I usually park AWAY from the crowd. They find me...

The vast majority of people are Followers. They can't make a decision for themselves and must follow someone.

Religion, politics, general viewpoints on just about any subject. Most people follow someone else cause making decisions is hard...

What grinds my gears? Followers...

Which, sadly, is just about everybody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter