What Event Made You a WDW Fan?

GatorChris

Not of This World
Hard to believe, but 15 years ago today, I walked into Epcot for the first time. I had been on my honeymoon for almost a week, hitting the other 3 parks and Blizzard Beach. But when I entered Epcot everything changed. Seeing the massive size of SSE was shocking. And we loved the Fountain of Nations and Club Cool (Ice Station Zero is what it used to be called I think).

But two things changed me. WDW was a good trip, but it became the place of magic with the next two shows.

First was the World Showcase Players. I always thought British comedy was weird. But when I saw this troupe, I was cracking up and LOL before that was popular. Their show helped me "get" Epcot. I started seeing World Showcase for the global community that it was. And years later, I got selected several times to be in my favorite show.
upload_2017-6-21_9-25-19.png

And then, of course, we hung around and got to watch Illuminations. We had our honeymoon hats on and one of the cast members let us go into a special Annual Passholder area for a better view. I remember think that it was a good show....and then "Weeeee Gooooo Oooon!" And the sky lit up!!!! The most amazing thing I've ever seen.
upload_2017-6-21_9-30-44.png

And that's when I became a mega-fan of Disney Parks. Especially Epcot!

That's my special moment at WDW that made me the fan I am. What's yours?

The first time I had ever been to WDW in my life was in 2000. DW and I took our then 3yo daughter on that first trip, planning two days at MK and one at AK. I remember riding in from TTC on the monorail, holding DD in my arms. She and I caught sight of the castle at about the same time. She gasps with delight, "There it is, daddy! There it is!" My 30-something year old heart melted. My eyes grew moist. We entered the magic that day and haven't really ever left, returning to the 'real world' as a justification for the frequent sacred journeys we get to make to our family's happy place.

I agree with you about the World Showcase Players. Another, now defunct event that made a big difference to me was the Annual Pass preview for the Osbourne Lights. I loved those lights when they were on the houses, before LMA took over. Otherwise, my love for WDW was a gradual process over the years.

Wishes during the Christmas season. DW and DS weren't feeling well and went back to the room. DD and I stayed to watch Wishes for the first time. What a treat it was!!!

Arriving at the resort for the first time (our first resort was what is now Shades of Green, back then it was just an on site resort) and getting the great service you got back then and then walking into MK for the first time. We were hooked and after over 30 years of going, we still love the place.

For me it was Dixie Landings in 1993.
I had been to "Disney" before...to the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT and MGM on separate occasions. Back when you walk up to the window, bought a ticket, did attractions as you came across them, spent a day, and left.

But then in 1993, on a business trip, we stayed at Dixie Landings. That was my first experience at a Disney RESORT. Wow! I was blown away. The next year, I took my wife with me and we began exploring the World. We discovered the Wilderness Lodge and put a stay there on our bucket list. We returned in 2005 with kids for the first time. Then, in 2009, stayed at Wilderness Lodge with the kids. We've had several trips since...and more to come.

I've always been a Disney fan but I guess our first trip in the summer of 1972 staying at the CR in a Tower room. Ever since then I've been hooked! :earsgirl:

My father's death...he died when I was six. My grandmother/his mother had us all pack up and caravan down to WDW. The memory of that trip is probably the best of my childhood. I will never forget how happy being in the Magic Kingdom made me feel during such a sad time for my family. From then on, I was hooked!

MNSSHP. We went for one day at MK with 4yo DD in 2014, and we felt like we missed so much, so we planned a 5 day trip over Halloween on 2015 with DD who was then 5 and DS who was 9 months. We dressed up as Rapunzel, Flynn Rider, Mother Gothel, and Pascal which was so fun. We got pulled aside by a CM to sit in the VIP seating for the second parade, and Aladdin leaned over to DH/Flynn Rider during the parade and said "nice to see another scoundrel around here." The kids loved the fireworks, and I can see 9 month old DS bouncing up and down to the music and staring up at the fireworks. We snuck in one last trick or treat stop at 11:59 and DD was the last one let through, so the CM dumped the remainder of her candy into DDs bag and her eyes went so wide! It was such a wonderful experience, we are going back this year over Halloween again and I can't wait! Not sure if we will be able to recreate that magic but I'm sure we'll make some new memories pixiedust:

I have always been a fan of the movies and the parks but what made me what my friends refer to as a SUPERfan (or Disney idiot) was my first trip out of my pocket as a parent. DS15 was then DS7. It was just him DW and me. The three of us had the best time. We never once argued about a thing. Never worried about lines or where to eat or anything else. It was just 7 perfect days at WDW. He may be in the twilight of his "kid" days at WDW but now I get to go back through the whole process with DS6...although he has been to WDW 8 times already including once when he was 6 months old. I'm hoping that next trip he'll be tall enough for SM, EE, RnR and the rest of the "big" rides.

Despite going a couple of times as a kid, the one thing that made me a true Disney Parks fan was going as an adult and seeing (the now defunct) MK Welcome Show. It was just so magical! The Mayor or Main Street talks about the Walt Disney World Steam train before the song an dance number, which is cute. Then as they segue into Casey Jr. and you hear the whistle, and you can see the steam around the corner, and the train pulls in, and it's loaded with characters...Zip-a-dee-doo-dah! That's the feels right there! I just loved it.

I got to go 3 times as a kid, but grew out of it and thought I was too old for it by our 3rd trip when I was a teenager. I didn't go back until my college graduation trip with my mom. I was excited, but didn't expect to love it anywhere near as much as I did. I was still more about thrills and big coasters. I can't really point to one singular event, although the Osborne Lights were definitely a highlight. But just the overall feeling I got that week was something I fell in love with. The feeling of truly being removed from the real world, and transported into a world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. The feeling of absolutely no stress or worries, of everything being Satisfactual.

I've experienced many euphoric moments and feelings in my life I've tried to chase and find again. But you're just left chasing that high. That Disney feeling is the only one I've ever been able to reach again, and I can do it time and time again. There is nothing better than a Disney high.

Despite going a couple of times as a kid, the one thing that made me a true Disney Parks fan was going as an adult and seeing (the now defunct) MK Welcome Show. It was just so magical! The Mayor or Main Street talks about the Walt Disney World Steam train before the song an dance number, which is cute. Then as they segue into Casey Jr. and you hear the whistle, and you can see the steam around the corner, and the train pulls in, and it's loaded with characters...Zip-a-dee-doo-dah! That's the feels right there! I just loved it.

I really don't think I'll ever get over them removing this show. It was perfect.

I have been going to Disney World since 1973 and have always loved it, but the moment that made it most magical to me was in 2006. In our family, we don't take the kids/grandkids until they are 5 years old (gotta be able to hang). When my youngest DS turned 5, we went as a family (just after we lost my MIL and DGS in a tragedy). It was February, rope drop and kind of foggy/misty out. My DH and the big kids ran ahead through Liberty Square/Frontierland and my DS and I were walking hand in hand behind. It seemed like we were the only ones in the park. He looked up at me and said, "Mommy...this has GOT to be a dream." My heart melted and that was it for me.

He may be in the twilight of his "kid" days at WDW but now I get to go back through the whole process with DS6...although he has been to WDW 8 times already including once when he was 6 months old. I'm hoping that next trip he'll be tall enough for SM, EE, RnR and the rest of the "big" rides.

I feel ya. I miss watching my older kids "grow up at Disney". All three started at 1 1/2. It was always so great to see them interact with characters and enjoy all the rides....and then as they got big enough to add a few rides each trip. Now my 6yo (who's tall), has grown up and is an inch or two shy of 48". But she can do everything else!

Funny. I spent those early years not being able to wait for them to ride the big rides so we can all go together. And now that we can, I miss pushing around a stroller or two and doing all the "small" things that Disney does so well.

Great thread OP! I too love Illuminations, I'll often watch it every night of my trip. It gets me every time. Seriously, some people get weepy at Wishes - I'm that way at Illuminations.

I "got it" with WDW the first time I remember going - around 7-8? I remember telling my parents I'd just go with Chip and Dale the next time since they go all the time. Chip and Dale were on our plane, so, it just seemed logical that I could simply go back anytime with Chip and Dale. I also asked my mom why she was so nice at Disneyworld and not at home. I could have ice cream for breakfast at WDW and I thought that was the best thing ever. I don't remember it, but my parents said when we left Epcot that first night I cried thanking them and telling them I'd be so good if we could come back again the next day. We DID! I still have my ears from that trip displayed in my closet. I wish they went with more of my outfits.

For me, back in 1977, it was my dad. Man of few words so when he spoke, you listened. The last day on Main Street with him in jeans (he didn't wear them often, just on vacations and he was a truck driver - times have changed). He put his hands in his pockets, leaned slightly back, looked up Main Street at the castle and said, "this place is neat" with a huge smile on his face. That was the moment. We didn't have "much" to see back then but saw just about everything. And we stayed almost a full week with just Magic Kingdom, River Country and Fort Wilderness. And we camped at least once a month so that figure doing that has lasted all this time and will last for the rest of my life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!