• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What else is there?

A1A1

DIS Veteran
When I read the comments about CR, the benefits people always mentioning the monorail and walk to MK. What else is there? If you are not in a tower room, what other benefits are there to a room at the CR? How is the pool? The only comments I have read about it is that the pool is just *okay*.

I am a person who just likes to enjoy a resort, and not feel like I have to go to the parks. I like to walk around a resort and explore it. I like to smell flowers. I like to sit and people watch. I like to relax at the pool.
Is there enough at CR to make the resort part enjoyable for me?

I stayed at CR four years ago and enjoyed it very much. We got up early (those were the EE days!) and walking from our garden wing room to the tower, had a beautiful view of the early morning sun. Our room was the top (third) floor, North wing, which gave us a view of the fireworks that was really magical.

We did a bit of wandering around, not a lot. Of course, having Chef Mickey's right nearby was a plus for us. The pool was good for us, slide tame enough for me to try (!). When we went to the pool midday they had contests, etc at the pool. I was amazed to find my son in a hula-hoop contest when I looked over!

I guess CR doesn't have the "theming" you find in a lot of the other resorts. But from the first time I saw it as a child, amazed that the monorail went right through the lobby, I've wanted to stay there. I was lucky enough to be able to take my son there on his first visit, and that really made it Disney for me.

The grounds are actually quite nice in my experience. The pool was really neat - plenty of room to move around, as DH and I are without child and do not wish to splash about in close proximity to any. Yeah, I know, when in Rome....
But anyway, we enjoyed the pool area, plus there's the whole marina area where you can enjoy the watercraft and sitting out by the Seven Seas Lagoon. There is a playground for the little man-cubs, and an outdoor snack bar/drinks bar in the pool area as well.
The shopping there is neat.... large shops with plenty of room to move around. The restaurants are neat - character meals and a nice, upscale restaurant. The tennis court is very close, you can parasail or ski, and the views are wonderful. There is a coffee bar in the lobby, which is nice for a quick pick-me-up.
I hope I've answered some of your questions!
-MrsAPalm

Plus you will be a short monorail ride away from visiting and enjoying the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. No parking involved, no driving, just the fabulous monorail!

I find the CR very sterile, and the lobby area extremely harried. It's not a resort I would choose to spend a lot of time at unless I was in the tower. It's just too transient there. Reminds me of Penn Station.

I too enjoy spending time at my resort, and prefer the AKL for spending time wandering the resort :)

Anne

I think when it was first built the CR was cutting edge with its atrium and the monorail. We have become so used to hotels with multi-story atriums that it does not have the same impact any more.

You can see the MK fireworks from the viewing platform.

With the monorail you have easy access to MK and the TTC for access to Epcot.

The rooms are larger than at most of the other resorts. With the daybed it will sleep 5.

There are boats to FW and WL. The electric water parade performs at all MK resorts.

I prefer the other hotels near MK to the CR.

The CR presents one of the most interestingly and innovatively themed environments among all the resorts. Because the rest of the world insists on mindlessly producing variations on this mid-20th c. conception of futuristic architecture,we now find the CR banal. If you go, you've got to go with a campy, kitschy, groovy, lava lamp/ Jetsons frame of mind.

With that said-if a lovely resort is a top priority, maybe AKL or WL? You get the feeling of being transported from the frenzy of the parks without losing any of the magic. And such nice restaurants too.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by lilboo
If you go, you've got to go with a campy, kitschy, groovy, lava lamp/ Jetsons frame of mind.

We planned to go to CR for the convience, but now, I'll look at it this way and I get the theme too!!:p :p

Thanks!

We had a breathtaking view of MK when we stayed at CR in 2000. DD, DS, and I loved to sit on the balconey at night and watch the fireworks and light parade on the lagoon! (DH was not too thrilled with the height.) However; I think we were spoiled by the theme pool at CSR. CR has kept the rooms and grounds looking fresh and beautiful, but I think the pool area has been neglected. Plus I was surprised to see the ducks were allowed to swim freely in the pool....while we were there anyway. DH and I did not feel that this was sanitary at all, but none of the workers even batted an eye at the ducks swimming right along with the CR guests! :rolleyes:

Hello A1A1- I read your post very carefully and every single thing that you are looking for from your resort is there in spades at Y & B Club. You could easily have a great 5 day vacation while never leaving resort grounds. From the pool to the lobby to the fabulous location and terrific staff you would be guaranteed a great time. I would be happy to give you more details anytime.

Hi yachtsman! Thanks! I thought about the Y&B and the great reviews I read about it. The problem is that I am very close to having to cancel the trip altogether. I sat last night and tried to figure out how much money I would be spending daily from tips to meals to park passes to gasoline for the drive down. Some financial things have changed recently which are making the vacation more difficult to carry off. The trip is three weeks long and starts by flying to Virginia. I have already purchased the plane tickets. So, I think right now, I am trying to find the best cheap accommodations. Our military designation makes SOG an option. Actually the resort is not the biggest cost factor, it's the park passes that get me. I figured $1,000 for food for a three week trip for two - one adult, one child. And of course, we will use points for our stays at HHI and BWV.

I sure hope we can go at this point. We are all but packed!!!!!

Hello again A1A1-Sorry to hear that your vacation has become problematic. I understand very well the various factors that can play havoc with your plans. I spend the last couple of months before vacation every year with my fingers crossed. So I'll keep them crossed for you as well. Good luck.

It sounds as if you won't be staying at CR after all, but just to answer your question....we were there at the end of August. We always try to travel the last week in August. Kiddies are still not back in school and the rates tend to drop that last week. I am not surprised that ducks are swimming at other resorts, but we've only seen them and their waste in the CR pool. We are staying at the DD Marriot this August and I just hope that pool is clean!

Thankyou Yachtman! Very sweet of you. I'm on the verge of tears, because I look forward to this opportunity to spend time with DD without the stress of our lives getting in the way. I need this trip. I hope very much that it works out. I don't know how else to change the budget. Can we eat cheaper than $1,000 for three weeks? What do you think is the maximum number of days I can keep a 5yo from the parks? Maybe I can cut down on park days. I was going to get AP again, but I think that is all but shot to h**l.

DD has a fun Lego playground that is free and Wolfgang Puck Express is a great place to sit outside and grab a pizza. How about miniature golf one day? I also noticed you are driving from VA? Bradenton Beach is appx. 2 hours from WDW and is totally free including parking. (This always amazes me coming from N.E. where a day at the beach costs $20 just to park.) Pack some sandwiches and have a picnic! Just some ideas. I wish you and DD the best, whatever you decide! ;)

Allshookup, A1A1, and MinnieGi - Y&BC had ducks in the pools just last weekend, but only in the mornings and late evenings. I was worried about their "leavings", but I did see the staff vacuuming the sand (their pools have a sandy bottom) twice a day, so I guess they keep on top of it.

But still - EEEWW!

Just to chime in with a couple of things that haven't been mentioned re CR:

Boat ride to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness
Electrical Water Pageant nightly

The Shades of Green rate is hard to beat.

Ideas for stretching your park passes:

A day at the CR playground and pool, with boat ride to Fort Wilderness petting zoo and a ride in the front of the monorail.

Downtown Disney including the playground near Rainforest Cafe and the Lego store and the new toystore which will have lots of things to play with.

Boardwalk area including strolling on the boardwalk in the evening with street entertainment, boat ride from BW to MGM, Swan/Dolphin, YC/BC and Epcot and maybe miniature golf at Fantasia Gardens.

Animal Kingdom Lodge for Savannah Viewing, resort tour and storytelling.

I agree eeeeeeew! It seemed like a silly thing to mention, but you could actually see their droppings on the bottom and it was rather disgusting. I have to agree that CR had somebody vaccuming the pool every morning we were there, but even while they vacuumed, the ducks still hung around. Unfortunately, I don't know if there is anything staff can do about the wildlife swimming in the pools, but I will be keeping my eyes open for droppings!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter