What does your commute look like?

poooh

Mouseketeer
My commute has been a 15 minute drive for a long time now, which is great. However, soon I'll be moving back in with my parents so my commute is going to be a 2 hour and 15 minute drive (but they are letting me work 2 days a week from home). Growing up, my father would fly back and forth from NY to Chicago every week as his "commute" so at least I'm a bit closer than that!

So what is your commute like? How long, what method of transportation etc.

I work in 3 different buildings and walk and use a city bus
  1. Mondays - walk 5 minutes to bus stop, 1 hour city bus journey, 20 minute walk to building,
  2. Tuesdays and Wednesdays - walk 10 minutes to bus stop, 40 minute city bus journey, 15 minute walk to building
  3. Fridays - walk 20 minutes to bus stop - 80 minute city bus journey - 7 minute walk to building

Mine is about an hour each way. No good jobs near the house, but no good place to live near the job, so I make do. I do have a four day work week, and the morning commute is way before rush hour, so it’s not as bad as it could be.

i77%20closed_1493982754852_9381855_ver1.0.jpg

I am 30 miles from my office.

If I leave at about 5:15am, I can be sitting at my desk in 45 minutes. The ride home is about an hour.

If I went to work when normal humans do, I'd be on the road about 1.5-2 hours for that 30 miles.

I retired last year because of my commute. My DH drove me 5 minutes to the commuter rail. Train was about 1 hour and 20 minutes if I got the express. Walked 10 minutes to subway. 15 minutes on subway. Walked 15 minutes to NJ Path. 10 minutes on Path. Walked 10 minutes to the office. All in all with wait times it was 2 1/2 hours each way, 5 hours a day total. I feel bad for people that have long commutes now that I no longer have to deal with it. It took way too much time out of my life for too long.

Wow, is the 2.5 hours round-trip, or one-way? Either way, that's a lot of drive time.

My current commute is 7 minutes (one way). I'm considering taking a second job that is less than a minute away.
My last job was 2 minutes commute.
Before that I worked from home, I usually kept my laptop on my nightstand so I didn't even have to roll out of bed to start my work day.
The job before that was 12-15 minutes (depended on the timing of the one single red light, but it could easily double or triple if I got stopped at the railroad tracks).

I have been spoiled!

Twice a week (sometimes three) my commute involves my car. The office is 60 miles each way, and I live in Atlanta. I leave early enough 5:30am that it only takes 60 minutes to get there. On the way home, it can take anywhere from 75 to 100+ minutes, depending.

Three days a week (sometimes two) my commute involves my legs and one flight of stairs. It takes 20 seconds, 30 if my dogs are in the way. :D

15 minute brisk walk to the train, and about 25-30 minute train ride. The train is about 2-3 blocks from the office.

Its great podcast/reading time.

Wow, is the 2.5 hours round-trip, or one-way? Either way, that's a lot of drive time.

My current commute is 7 minutes (one way). I'm considering taking a second job that is less than a minute away.
My last job was 2 minutes commute.
Before that I worked from home, I usually kept my laptop on my nightstand so I didn't even have to roll out of bed to start my work day.
The job before that was 12-15 minutes (depended on the timing of the one single red light, but it could easily double or triple if I got stopped at the railroad tracks).

I have been spoiled!

would love a commute like any of that. Your total commute is the time it takes me to walk from my house to the bus stop!! Most days my average door to door is 1 and a half hours.

35 - 45 minutes each way on a normal day. On a bad day I am looking at an hour. It is the biggest negative of my job, but to move closer means either moving to a bad area with high crime or paying a LOT more money then I am now. Nice city living is expensive!

20-30 minutes depending on the day of the week. If some clowns play bumper cars it can take an hour. If it rains it takes an hour.

I can't wait to quit.

would love a commute like any of that. Your total commute is the time it takes me to walk from my house to the bus stop!! Most days my average door to door is 1 and a half hours.
Bear in mind that I get paid significantly less than I would if I were willing to make the 2+ hour round trip commute into the city. If I didn't have kids I would be working in the city.

alot of things bug me about my commute but by far the most annoying is people NOT opening the windows!! Our city buses dont have air conditioning, just heating.

In the winter the heat will be on full blast, everyone is wearing heavy winter coats and the bus is shoulder to shoulder standing and people will sit there with the windows fogging up and not open a window.

In the summer its the same, blazing hot day, no air conditioning and stifling heat, with no windows open.

So now in the mornings at least, I have started watching the regulars. Two ladies get on the bus before me and always sit in the seats where you can open the window. They get off soon after I get on, so I make sure to get into the seat they vacate and OPEN THE WINDOWS :cool2:

I work from home, so no commute. It's especially nice during the WI winters when roads can be downright terrible, and it's so cold that you don't want to leave home!
I also love the flexibility it gives me.

However, it can be lonely and isolating at times. I miss seeing my former coworkers on a daily basis...they are an awesome group!

But I also wouldn't enjoy a commute over 30 minutes, so I'm content for now.

7-10 minutes depending on lights. I don’t know how all of you who have to drive that long do it. I hate driving, especially in traffic ... it gives me anxiety!

My office is visible from my house, which is awesome. But, I make 4-5 home visits each day, so I have a lot more driving than that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter