What do you wish were in Downtown Disney?

I agree with this and also wonder why we haven't gotten some of the more Disney owned eateries that Disney Springs has.
I’m a little confused as to what’s going on with dining at DtD and the hotels. In general, I feel like they’re going in a positive direction, but I do have questions that I’m eager to see answered.

First, like I said, I’d love to see an only-at-Disney dining experience come to DtD. I don’t think that’s going to happen, but I’d love to be surprised.

As for what we know, Din Tai Fung and Porto’s coming to DtD is positive. Although both of those have other locations, they’re still relatively small and are both known for their quality. So this is definitely better than something with tons of other locations or a generic eatery slapped in to fill space.

I don’t get what’s going on with the Patina restaurants. They’re going to close Catal (and by extension UVA bar?) and replace it with high end Mexican. Ok, but what about Tortilla Jo’s? It must be the end for Tortilla Jo’s, right? If so, what’s going to replace that?(FreshBaked thinks Tortilla Jo’s becomes Din Tai Fung but that’s a major reno to covert that building to the Din Tai Fung concept art.) Why not just replace Tortilla Jo’s with the new Mexican place and keep Catal?

Also, they’re putting Porto’s at the old La Brea bakery spot? That seems like it wasn’t thought out! I live near a Porto’s and there is still a line down the block EVERY DAY years after it opened. At DtD last night there was a line nearly down to the ticket booths for the temp Earl of Sandwich. All I’m saying is I hope they have a permanent plan to manage lines that’ll form right there where DtD meets the esplanade!

What’s also interesting to me is that they’ve decided to hand over dining at Pixar Place to an outside restaurant (and on top of that, not Patina). Why? Is this a cost thing? Something else?

At least it sounds like they are going for high quality places, so I feel like it’ll all make sense in the end. I’m just anxious to see the final results at the hotels and DtD.

I wish they would bring Dre -C back.
He and his band put on a great show, on the main stage….

I know you can still find them else where, but it’s not the same, and the acts they replaced him with are ….. um marginal at best

Reading through this thread, I think I’m definitely in the minority, but what I would love to see at Downtown Disney are more unique restaurants and shops and experiences.

Disneyland, and by extension DtD, is a special place. It draws people from all over the country and world. I want to be able to do things there that I can’t do anywhere else. I don’t want DtD to be just another mall.

I know a lot of people say they would love an In-N-Out. But there are literally hundreds of places across several states where you can visit an In-N-Out Burger.

I know a lot of people would love a convenience store or pharmacy. But there’s literally a Walgreens and CVS two blocks away. Sure they’re kind of long blocks, but still. Downtown Disney space should be used for something unique, interesting, magical, that you can only get from Disney. I’d hate to see that space used for something that is also just down the street.

So basically, it comes down to more themed restaurants and bars, and stores that sell unique merchandise. Why shouldn’t Disneyland have its own Jock Lindsey’s or AbracadaBar type places? I’m at Disney! Give me Disney, or at least something I can’t get anywhere else!
I agree especially with what you were saying about the convenience stores. I want things there that are unique.

I’m a little confused as to what’s going on with dining at DtD and the hotels. In general, I feel like they’re going in a positive direction, but I do have questions that I’m eager to see answered.

First, like I said, I’d love to see an only-at-Disney dining experience come to DtD. I don’t think that’s going to happen, but I’d love to be surprised.

As for what we know, Din Tai Fung and Porto’s coming to DtD is positive. Although both of those have other locations, they’re still relatively small and are both known for their quality. So this is definitely better than something with tons of other locations or a generic eatery slapped in to fill space.

I don’t get what’s going on with the Patina restaurants. They’re going to close Catal (and by extension UVA bar?) and replace it with high end Mexican. Ok, but what about Tortilla Jo’s? It must be the end for Tortilla Jo’s, right? If so, what’s going to replace that?(FreshBaked thinks Tortilla Jo’s becomes Din Tai Fung but that’s a major reno to covert that building to the Din Tai Fung concept art.) Why not just replace Tortilla Jo’s with the new Mexican place and keep Catal?

Also, they’re putting Porto’s at the old La Brea bakery spot? That seems like it wasn’t thought out! I live near a Porto’s and there is still a line down the block EVERY DAY years after it opened. At DtD last night there was a line nearly down to the ticket booths for the temp Earl of Sandwich. All I’m saying is I hope they have a permanent plan to manage lines that’ll form right there where DtD meets the esplanade!

What’s also interesting to me is that they’ve decided to hand over dining at Pixar Place to an outside restaurant (and on top of that, not Patina). Why? Is this a cost thing? Something else?

At least it sounds like they are going for high quality places, so I feel like it’ll all make sense in the end. I’m just anxious to see the final results at the hotels and DtD.

Yeah, the Portos location was a choice, given the lines that form at Portos. But I'm not sure any other location would have been better. No part of DtD can support really long lines. DTF will likely have long lines as well. Maybe they will use a mobile order only system?

I happen to believe DTF will go where TJs is now. Maybe a full tear down and rebuild? That's the plan for Portos, after all.

How would a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory store do in Downtown Disney? As you know Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory is the second popular candy store next to Sees Candies and it would wonders for Downtown Disney because a lot of people adore candy stores. Another idea would be putting a Ramen restaurant in Downtown Disney because ramen seems to be the "in" food trend today

I agree especially with what you were saying about the convenience stores. I want things there that are unique.
I don't think it would need to be anything large, but a small place that carried some basics would be really nice, especially if you're staying on site and don't have a car. It would be quite handy to have access to first-aid items, basic pain/cold/cough medicines, bread, juice, muffins, peanut butter, half-and-half, milk, etc.

The gift shops in the hotels have some of those things, but they're very pricey.

However, I do concede that that's not really the DTD "vibe" that one would prefer.

How would a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory store do in Downtown Disney? As you know Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory is the second popular candy store next to Sees Candies and it would wonders for Downtown Disney because a lot of people adore candy stores. Another idea would be putting a Ramen restaurant in Downtown Disney because ramen seems to be the "in" food trend today

There is already a candy store in DtD, so I'd say it would likely flop.

I personally don't understand the popularity of this store. I think the candy is awful. It tastes waxy and artificial.

I just booked a trip for my daughter and me for the Food and Wine Festival in March (yay!) and because we live in Northern California we always fly or drive down a day before we hit the parks, so we’re always spending time in Downtown Disney. And I’m always thinking to myself, “I wish they had this store here” or “I bet this store would do really well.”
What would you most like to see in Downtown Disney? Here’s my wish list:
- a Birkenstock store (I know they have the comfy shoe store but I think a dedicated store would do so well)
- a Drybar to get your hair done in retro styles
- a dedicated HerUniverse or Loungefly store
- Uniqlo with their excellent Disney designs
- Customizeable Havianas
- A bubble tea shop
- Quick service tacos and burritos
- One of those places where you cook your food at the table (maybe a lawsuit waiting to happen but it’s so much fun)
- Conveyor belt sushi
What do you think?
Me. I wish I were in Downtown Disney. Like now. lol

I don't think it would need to be anything large, but a small place that carried some basics would be really nice, especially if you're staying on site and don't have a car. It would be quite handy to have access to first-aid items, basic pain/cold/cough medicines, bread, juice, muffins, peanut butter, half-and-half, milk, etc.

The gift shops in the hotels have some of those things, but they're very pricey.

However, I do concede that that's not really the DTD "vibe" that one would prefer.
They can stick it in the corner by the rest rooms!

If I'm at Disney, I'm going to get the fabulous fudge on Main Street or a candied apple there, etc. I have never been impressed by Rocky Mountain & I think if most folks want a treat they want one that resembles a Disney icon. But I see your point.

Safe travels!

Thanks! So far no snow predicted over the Grapevine on my 'drive day', which is my major concern. Seems like even 1/4" of snow will result in closure.

Safe travels to you, too, when you're heading down.

Thanks! So far no snow predicted over the Grapevine on my 'drive day', which is my major concern. Seems like even 1/4" of snow will result in closure.

Safe travels to you, too, when you're heading down.
When are you traveling? I've sort of decided to check the weather & the school strike on Tuesday morning. If the strike doesn't happen & the rain is not horrendous (SoCalers call what I think of as "sorta rainy" as "OMG!! A STORM!!!" soooo...), I might go. I live in the SFV & the strike would mean lighter traffic but bigger crowds at Disney & other theme parks. I think, can't actually know. The other option is to check the site tomorrow morning & go tomorrow. I dunno.

Someone posted something about an app & it's been so long since I've been to a Disney park that I'm just completely confused! lol. But I see myself just buying the ticket online that morning if they're available.

Have magical trip!

When are you traveling? I've sort of decided to check the weather & the school strike on Tuesday morning. If the strike doesn't happen & the rain is not horrendous (SoCalers call what I think of as "sorta rainy" as "OMG!! A STORM!!!" soooo...), I might go. I live in the SFV & the strike would mean lighter traffic but bigger crowds at Disney & other theme parks. I think, can't actually know. The other option is to check the site tomorrow morning & go tomorrow. I dunno.

Someone posted something about an app & it's been so long since I've been to a Disney park that I'm just completely confused! lol. But I see myself just buying the ticket online that morning if they're available.

Have magical trip!
Just saw this!

I drove down on the 23rd (last Thursday). Weather was just about perfect, just a few scattered showers and the only snow on the Grapevine was a dusting on the hills.

I'm at DL on Wed (29th), 80% chance of rain, ugh. Oh well, I've got waterproof shoes, extra sox and a good rain jacket. 1st time at DL since 2018 and I'm determined to have a good time.

To paraphrase an old song...."Every time it rains, it rains 'pixie dust' from Heaven!".

Hope you had (or have) a great time!

Just saw this!

I drove down on the 23rd (last Thursday). Weather was just about perfect, just a few scattered showers and the only snow on the Grapevine was a dusting on the hills.

I'm at DL on Wed (29th), 80% chance of rain, ugh. Oh well, I've got waterproof shoes, extra sox and a good rain jacket. 1st time at DL since 2018 and I'm determined to have a good time.

To paraphrase an old song...."Every time it rains, it rains 'pixie dust' from Heaven!".

Hope you had (or have) a great time!
I hope you had a good drive down!

DL was fine - I went last Tuesday during the torrential downpours because I knew that would mean that the crowds wouldn't be horrendous. I was shocked at how much water was in the bottom of the boat at It's A Small World & even more shocked at the rudeness of the CM when I asked if they were all flooded & if she thought I should just skip this ride.

I wore a rain slicker, brought an umbrella & was careful not to wear jeans. I wore only clothes that wouldn't soak up the water & would dry out relatively quickly. Didn't change my socks & shoes until I was ready to get in the car to go home. And I was just fine, never felt uncomfortably wet.

The Horseshoe Saloon was almost completely empty, so I could sit and enjoy a leisurely meal w/o someone standing over me to grab my table, like the people at the mall parking lot who follow you around at Christmastime! And it gives the Disney visa discount!

I knew there wouldn't be any parades or fireworks & that was sad, but not a surprise.

It's been many years since I was in a Disney park & it's definitely not the same, but it's still Disney & that was good enough for me. Managed to pull pretty much every muscle in my left leg, so I could barely walk for a couple of days! lol

I hope you have a great time.

I hope you had a good drive down!

DL was fine - I went last Tuesday during the torrential downpours because I knew that would mean that the crowds wouldn't be horrendous. I was shocked at how much water was in the bottom of the boat at It's A Small World & even more shocked at the rudeness of the CM when I asked if they were all flooded & if she thought I should just skip this ride.

I wore a rain slicker, brought an umbrella & was careful not to wear jeans. I wore only clothes that wouldn't soak up the water & would dry out relatively quickly. Didn't change my socks & shoes until I was ready to get in the car to go home. And I was just fine, never felt uncomfortably wet.

The Horseshoe Saloon was almost completely empty, so I could sit and enjoy a leisurely meal w/o someone standing over me to grab my table, like the people at the mall parking lot who follow you around at Christmastime! And it gives the Disney visa discount!

I knew there wouldn't be any parades or fireworks & that was sad, but not a surprise.

It's been many years since I was in a Disney park & it's definitely not the same, but it's still Disney & that was good enough for me. Managed to pull pretty much every muscle in my left leg, so I could barely walk for a couple of days! lol

I hope you have a great time.

I was there on the rainy Wednesday and for all that, it was pretty crowded. Even though it cleared by early afternoon, it was so chilly! I agree that it's definitely not the same, and for the first time in my life I left somewhat disappointed. I did finally decide that 'solo' is just not for me. Maybe I'd have had a better time with a companion.

Genie+ was a bust, I think I used it once. There were just no suitable times. For the length of time I had for my Disney Day and the way I 'do Disney', I chose to just wait standby, it was actually a shorter wait than the earliest LL return pass and those times were WAYYYY out there. Maybe on a nicer day I'd have been more motivated to try to use all the strategies I've read to maximize the system. But running hither and yon to hit LL return times in the bad weather just didn't appeal to me.

Good points; I got to ride Splash one last time. And Soarin' was 'over California' which was an unexpected joy! I got through my 'list' of new attractions and 'things have changed' attractions as well as my favs which made me happy. And, bottom line I was at Disneyland, right?

I haven't written DL off by a long chalk. But I must admit I'm looking forward even more to my WDW trip this Fall!

Glad you had a good time and so sorry about your leg!

Cane's Chicken and wish we did have some sort of Rain forest Cafe type restaurant. Its Disneyland and most places just have zero themes now outside the parks

Cane's Chicken and wish we did have some sort of Rain forest Cafe type restaurant. Its Disneyland and most places just have zero themes now outside the parks
I wish they'd bring Rainforest back! It was fun and a nice family option. But the trend is to get away from all of the cost-elevating extras --aquariums, animatronic animals, wall decor, fabric, attractive fixtures, upholstery, wood, curtains,--basically everything that adds some interest and ambiance. That is somewhat tongue-in-cheek but the trend is definitely to "streamline" and do away with anything that needs more than a cursory wipe with a rag.

I wish they'd bring Rainforest back! It was fun and a nice family option. But the trend is to get away from all of the cost-elevating extras --aquariums, animatronic animals, wall decor, fabric, attractive fixtures, upholstery, wood, curtains,--basically everything that adds some interest and ambiance. That is somewhat tongue-in-cheek but the trend is definitely to "streamline" and do away with anything that needs more than a cursory wipe with a rag.

They just opened a temporary Indiana Jones themed bar at DHS.

They should make a PERMANENT IJ bar/restaurant where Rainforest Cafe used to be. It's perfect, theme wise. The building still looks like a temple. It's like, tailor made for Indiana Jones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter