What do you wish were in Downtown Disney?

I just booked a trip for my daughter and me for the Food and Wine Festival in March (yay!) and because we live in Northern California we always fly or drive down a day before we hit the parks, so we’re always spending time in Downtown Disney. And I’m always thinking to myself, “I wish they had this store here” or “I bet this store would do really well.”
What would you most like to see in Downtown Disney? Here’s my wish list:
- a Birkenstock store (I know they have the comfy shoe store but I think a dedicated store would do so well)
- a Drybar to get your hair done in retro styles
- a dedicated HerUniverse or Loungefly store
- Uniqlo with their excellent Disney designs
- Customizeable Havianas
- A bubble tea shop
- Quick service tacos and burritos
- One of those places where you cook your food at the table (maybe a lawsuit waiting to happen but it’s so much fun)
- Conveyor belt sushi
What do you think?
I wish they had a Disney Springs in Downtown Disney

And while it wouldn’t necessarily fly in downtown Disney, I’d love a fun and funky speakeasy. Recently went to the Blind Rabbit at the packing house, and it was so fun. 90 min limit, 2 drink max, so it wouldn’t get out of hand.

And while it wouldn’t necessarily fly in downtown Disney, I’d love a fun and funky speakeasy. Recently went to the Blind Rabbit at the packing house, and it was so fun. 90 min limit, 2 drink max, so it wouldn’t get out of hand.

It is rather surprising that they don't have more bars at DtD, but I suppose every sit down restaurant has one. But something like AbracadaBar would be a good addition.

I know this isn't DTD, but I wish they could expand Trader Sam's, primarily the indoor area. It's so much fun but so very small.

Some sort of mini mart/convenience store/dollar store to pick up random things you might need like socks, bandaids, diaper wipes, hair ties, rolaids, etc.
My family would really love to see Rainforest Cafe come back.

You're definitely not the only one- I completely agree that the merchandise has become very uninteresting (yet the influencers still go gaga over every new spirit jersey etc. so no motivation for anything different) and everywhere has the same things with a few small exceptions.

And what's with all the WDW merch at DLR?!?!
Won't know about DL for another month but WDW the merch seemed to be getting more and more generic as the years went on. I remember when some stuff was park or resort specific but has slowly replaced with 'Disney Parks' or 'Disney Resorts', available all over the place. Don't mind, saved me hundreds over the years. LOL

- Grocery store + pharmacy
- Vegan restaurant or quick service
- Juice bar
- Spa
- High end jewelry store
- Boutique with all the best collabs. Disney x Givenchy, Disney x OVO, Disney x Gucci, Disney x Coach, Disney x Stella McCartney, Disney x Adidas, and so on
I totally agree about the designer disney boutique. It seems a no-brainer to me, but then again, I shopped at Kitson when it was there so maybe I'm an aberration :) That one didn't last long.
I'm glad Porto's is coming - we need a bakery option for a grab and go breakfast (other than SB).

I miss Vault 28 though and I know most of that is because I miss the really unique merchandise that it used to carry (and Disney used to produce). I'm sure I'm the only one who thinks this way, but to me the merch has become very bland and generic and can be found at every store in the parks and DTD. Certain stores throughout the parks would carry specific things to their store and you couldn't find them anywhere else which was very similar to Vault 28. They also had more of a focus on villains and princesses which was nice. Villains don't get near enough love that they should. :maleficen
You definitely aren't alone on missing the vault when it had more unique items (I still have quite a few cute Junk food tees and a really cute cinderella juicy couture sweater from there). The merch has definitely become generic and IMO less interesting. Two unpopular opinions but I think spirit jerseys are an abomination (up there with Crocs for me) and Gideons is overrated and not that good. Let the stoning begin, LOL.

I'm looking forward to Din Tai Fung--love dumplings--but good Mexican (burritos tacos), ramen, and sushi would be awesome. Good bagels would be a welcome breakfast/lunch addition. I also miss the theater. It was fun to see stars occasionally at movie openings, and we enjoyed the occasional movie downtime.

I totally agree about the designer disney boutique. It seems a no-brainer to me, but then again, I shopped at Kitson when it was there so maybe I'm an aberration :) That one didn't last long.

You definitely aren't alone on missing the vault when it had more unique items (I still have quite a few cute Junk food tees and a really cute cinderella juicy couture sweater from there). The merch has definitely become generic and IMO less interesting. Two unpopular opinions but I think spirit jerseys are an abomination (up there with Crocs for me) and Gideons is overrated and not that good. Let the stoning begin, LOL.

I'm looking forward to Din Tai Fung--love dumplings--but good Mexican (burritos tacos), ramen, and sushi would be awesome. Good bagels would be a welcome breakfast/lunch addition. I also miss the theater. It was fun to see stars occasionally at movie openings, and we enjoyed the occasional movie downtime.
We miss the theater too! When you want to save your precious park tickets to the next full day, and or meeting up with friends and family. And Disney has made so many award winning movies!!

Yes, please, please reopen Steakhouse 55 behind the Disneyland Hotel!!
I really hope they do, but I’m not feeling so confident.

There’s a rumor going around that they are handing the location over to the Patina Group, and specifically that it might be a new home for Catal.

I don’t know if the above is true, but they definitely are handing over the Pixar Place restaurant to an outside group: the PCH Grill is now going to be a Great Maple location.

For the record, Great Maple is good, so I’m not complaining. But it might indicate that they are interested in handing over hotel restaurant operations to outside (non-Disney) companies.

Reading through this thread, I think I’m definitely in the minority, but what I would love to see at Downtown Disney are more unique restaurants and shops and experiences.

Disneyland, and by extension DtD, is a special place. It draws people from all over the country and world. I want to be able to do things there that I can’t do anywhere else. I don’t want DtD to be just another mall.

I know a lot of people say they would love an In-N-Out. But there are literally hundreds of places across several states where you can visit an In-N-Out Burger.

I know a lot of people would love a convenience store or pharmacy. But there’s literally a Walgreens and CVS two blocks away. Sure they’re kind of long blocks, but still. Downtown Disney space should be used for something unique, interesting, magical, that you can only get from Disney. I’d hate to see that space used for something that is also just down the street.

So basically, it comes down to more themed restaurants and bars, and stores that sell unique merchandise. Why shouldn’t Disneyland have its own Jock Lindsey’s or AbracadaBar type places? I’m at Disney! Give me Disney, or at least something I can’t get anywhere else!

I really hope they do, but I’m not feeling so confident.

There’s a rumor going around that they are handing the location over to the Patina Group, and specifically that it might be a new home for Catal.

I don’t know if the above is true, but they definitely are handing over the Pixar Place restaurant to an outside group: the PCH Grill is now going to be a Great Maple location.

For the record, Great Maple is good, so I’m not complaining. But it might indicate that they are interested in handing over hotel restaurant operations to outside (non-Disney) companies.

I'd actually be okay with this. Catal is fantastic and has a great breakfast as well as dinner. I am so sad that it is closing soon, so I'd be down for this, personally. They make a very good steak, for those who want a steakhouse.

Reading through this thread, I think I’m definitely in the minority, but what I would love to see at Downtown Disney are more unique restaurants and shops and experiences.

Disneyland, and by extension DtD, is a special place. It draws people from all over the country and world. I want to be able to do things there that I can’t do anywhere else. I don’t want DtD to be just another mall.

I know a lot of people say they would love an In-N-Out. But there are literally hundreds of places across several states where you can visit an In-N-Out Burger.

I know a lot of people would love a convenience store or pharmacy. But there’s literally a Walgreens and CVS two blocks away. Sure they’re kind of long blocks, but still. Downtown Disney space should be used for something unique, interesting, magical, that you can only get from Disney. I’d hate to see that space used for something that is also just down the street.

So basically, it comes down to more themed restaurants and bars, and stores that sell unique merchandise. Why shouldn’t Disneyland have its own Jock Lindsey’s or AbracadaBar type places? I’m at Disney! Give me Disney, or at least something I can’t get anywhere else!

I agree with this and also wonder why we haven't gotten some of the more Disney owned eateries that Disney Springs has.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter