What do you think of Barbie? Would you let your children play with Barbies?

I played with Barbies in the 70’s even until I was 13. My daughters played with Barbies too but stopped about age 9. My generation didn’t have iPods to take up their time lol. But they did get American Girl dolls at about age 9 or 10 and we still have them. Saving for possible granddaughters. I still have one of my Barbies, my girls or my husband got rid of their Barbies.

No problems with Barbie if a kid wants to play with her.
My daughter had Barbies, but apparently not enough. She's 28 now and insists she is still traumatized because we wouldn't buy her a Barbie car. Even after I bought her a REAL car.

I was a child of the 80's and played with Barbies almost exclusively. I had a few other toys, but it was all about Barbie. I had the house, the RV, the Corvette, the pool, a Beauty Shop, A Space Station, a Sound Stage and I'm sure other sets.

I grew up to be a well balanced adult who doesn't teeter around on high heels - so I guess Barbie didn't scar me too much.

Original Barbie clothing (into the early 1970s) is so beautiful. Actual zippers and buttons. Some snaps.

I love coming across the handmade Barbie clothing in thrift stores.

Last edited:
No problems with Barbie if a kid wants to play with her.
My daughter had Barbies, but apparently not enough. She's 28 now and insists she is still traumatized because we wouldn't buy her a Barbie car. Even after I bought her a REAL car.
Truth! One of the.best.days.ever. was when my Daddy brought me home the Barbie Country Camper. I honestly can't imagine my childhood without it. :goodvibes

My father refused to let me own anything Barbie. He was afraid I would have body image issues. Naturally, I played Barbie at my friends houses and was much more aware of her plastic body all the while wondering what drugs my dad was on. It was a plastic doll. I really think had it been just another doll in my life I wouldn't have been so aware. Sometimes a toy is just a toy. I am just fine with my body as an adult.

When I was young I loved my Barbies! My sister would never play Barbies with me, so I mostly played alone. When I was 12 my mother made me pack them up stating I was too old to play with them anymore. I made clothes for them, bed spreads and pillow cases. I knit scarfs and gloves for them. I wasn't into baby dolls. My Barbie Mustang was Blue, and her clothes were beautiful. matching dresses and coats and all colored shoes. Never gave it a thought that she had a small waist and such,like I have heard maybe the past 10 years. All my dolls looked like that, just thought all dolls were that way. I never thought I had to look like Barbie. There were so many Barbies, I thought she can do anything. I also had Stacey and Chrissy dolls, and Ken. They gave me endless hours of play time. I also had match cars and a big track. I couldnt wait to hand down my Barbies to my daughter. I kept them in Pristine condition. I bought her a Barbie house and jeep, and they stayed in the corner of the room-she had no interest. She loved Polly Pocket and Littlest Pets. I let her play with them until she was ready to move on. She had remote control trucks, baby dolls and 100 match box cars and trucks.She collected every car from the movie Cars. I say let them play with whatever they like. I did,

I loved playing Barbies! I saved all of them, but my DD liked American Girl dolls better ( which are basically bigger Barbies in a way). I don't ever remember thinking I needed to be like Barbie. I just had fun creating different lives for her. She usually lived in her motor home instead of the mansion lol.

I played with one of the very first Barbies. My Mom gave her away, wish I had her now! Daughter was NOT interested, so starting collecting Barbie for myself. Still don't have a first one, but have lots of others and the clothes from the 60s are incredible. Barbie had a tiny waist so that the layers at the waistline would look in proportion after a shirt, skirt, and belt were put on. Fabrics were not doll thickness!

Is the doll above considered tacky because of the leopard print? (it's pretty modest imho) But I love leopard print, ha!

I played with one of the very first Barbies. My Mom gave her away, wish I had her now! Daughter was NOT interested, so starting collecting Barbie for myself. Still don't have a first one, but have lots of others and the clothes from the 60s are incredible. Barbie had a tiny waist so that the layers at the waistline would look in proportion after a shirt, skirt, and belt were put on. Fabrics were not doll thickness!

Is the doll above considered tacky because of the leopard print? (it's pretty modest imho) But I love leopard print, ha!
Gotta admit I couldn't see anything wrong with that outfit either. :o

I honestly think some of you haven't been in a toy aisle in decades.
Go to any target and see the variety of barbies - astronaut barbie and vet barbie and doctor barbie and teacher barbie and scientist barbie and horse trainer barbie, etc., etc., etc., etc.

I have a 7 year old girl who isn't really into Barbie dolls (or doll play in general), but as an engineer I have no qualms at all with her playing with Barbie - either the leopard print version or the astronaut version.
And if astronaut Barbie wants to rock a leopard print dress now and then, there's nothing wrong with that either.

I wasn't allowed to play with Barbie and I didn't allow my daughter to play with them either. In both cases it was so not so much attention was paid to looks, fashion, etc at such a young age.

I played with them at friends houses but my daughter never showed much interest.

Truth! One of the.best.days.ever. was when my Daddy brought me home the Barbie Country Camper. I honestly can't imagine my childhood without it. :goodvibes
Was that orange? My babysitter had a camper that started my Barbie love. My best Barbie memory was waking up to the Barbie Cottage under our tree. ( I never got the Dream House but I loved that cottage). Also when I got the pool. This was the good pool before everything turned cheaply made: above ground pool with a deck around it, pool shower, slide.....it was pretty big. Oh how I loved Barbies.

Yes I played with Barbie. But I liked my Glamour Gals better.
My daughter played with Barbie, and Brats. But she had a lot more Polly Pockets.

Neither of us have ever been accused of obsessing over our looks or fashion. lol. In fact, we're pretty much slackers.

Was that orange? My babysitter had a camper that started my Barbie love. My best Barbie memory was waking up to the Barbie Cottage under our tree. ( I never got the Dream House but I loved that cottage). Also when I got the pool. This was the good pool before everything turned cheaply made: above ground pool with a deck around it, pool shower, slide.....it was pretty big. Oh how I loved Barbies.
Yes!! The entire thing, including all the accessories were shades of yellow and orange. It came with lawn chairs and a campfire and a little tent and sleeping bag in case she wanted to "rough-it" once in a while. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!