What do you think about putting children on a leash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art 1

DIS Veteran
I saw 4 children on leashes last week at the Magic Kingdom. It's not something that we ever felt the need to do. I'm sure the parents who do this have their own reasons.

I am not sure if you know this, but people have very strong feelings for and against this on this board. Just want to warn you!

Look out...very intense topic here and a HOT button issue...I really don't have an opinion on it.I never had to do it.

I just think putting kids on leashes is some what silly. If your child is calm, i wouldn't put them on a leash. I think if your child has run away before, then you may feel safer with them on a leash. I don't and never will put my kids on leashes but if it works for you.....

I have a Monkey back pack that has a leash on it that I put on my 2 yr old when I go to Disney or even when I go to the the store. I use it for a safety reason. He likes to walk which is good exercise for him instead of sitting in a stroller all day. He likes to run off and this way he can't just dart away from me when I look away for a second. Another reason I like to use it is because if I hold his hand I am having to hold it at the wrist because he like to try to pull away from me and I am always afraid that I will twist his wrist or hold to tight and break something in his hand. So that is why I use it and I am not ashamed to use it.:thumbsup2

I had a runner and a climber. He would bolt the second you loosened your hold on his hand, and I never did find a stroller he coulnd't get out of given 5 secs! So for us it was either a leash or have him constantly running away.

I think anything that keeps a child safe is a good thing. I have 3 kids, 1 whom I used a leash on and 2 who I didn't as they didn't need it.

Ohh i am totally pro leashes. Expecially for the youngones. We used one for our 2 year old almost 5 years ago in WDW. And we used a leash all the time till he was 6 in DLRP too.

Expecially when its busy, its so easy to loose a child. And instead of having the scare of missing your child, you can have a relaxed day knowing that your kid is still around after buying him or her an icecream. They can run off in the blink of an eye.

I work with children with special needs, and a few of them have a band that goes round their wrist with a long handle for the parent/carer. If they didn't have one, the child would need one person ether side holding their hands to keep them out of trouble.

I say don't judge, if you don't want your kids on a 'leash' (I don't like that word really), and you don't think your child needs it, then don't! Some parents aren't so lucky to know their children will not run off.

I wish more people would put leashes on their kids as well as some muzzles!! ;)

This is a choice that needs to be decided by the parent. There may be very good reasons why some parents may need to leash their child to keep them safe.

I used one for DS when he was 2. I didn't use it the whole trip, just when he wanted to RUN. It is kind of a pain to use when there is a crowd of people, and for me, not really necessary when there wasn't a crowd, because I could keep up with him. I don't disagree with people who do use them, but I haven't used them one for my youngest two.

I don't see anything wrong with it, but I also think it depends on the age of the child. My brother and SIL were there last week with my nephews, the oldest is 18 months and will be in the stroller for part of the day, but loves to get out and walk too. He has one of the mickey backpack style harnesses that he uses at disney and other places like the zoo. I can imagine it would have been hard to keep two little boys together without it, especially since he doesn't like to hold hands unless you are wanting to go in the same direction he's going. If it was an older child, like grade school maybe, I would think that was kind of odd, but to each their own.

I prefer to call it a "tether," not a leash...

And to answer your question, why does NASA put Astronauts on a tether? ;)

popcorn::

I think its a great tool to keep your child safe. There is lots of eye candy in the parks and even the adults get cought up in it, and if you have kids you know thats all it takes is 1 sec and the kid can wonder off. Chit happens and I had rather be safe than sorry. I think the leashes / tethers are great and they don't bother me to see someone using them. I had rather see that as opposed to seeing a parent in a panic looking for a little one.

Oh I will totally be using one of those when I have Lil ones. I used to be a nanny for the most perfectly behaved 2 year old twins ever, and even then I wished for one from time to time. It is just too scary to loose one of them when they see something cool and bolt away from you.

I'm not a parent yet but I like the idea of the backback ones, not so much the ones where they are attached to the wrist.

Basically though I've come to just respect other people's parenting models as their own and then make a decision as to what will or won't work for me when the time comes.

I used to hate seeing kids on leashed. But now I think it is better that they are on one then running wild. Some kids just don't like to hold hands and can't be trusted to stay by the parent.

But I do hate when I see a parent totally ignoring a child that they have on a leash. Just because you are using one doesn't mean you don't have to pay your child an attention. They are supposed to assist you in parenting, not replace your need to keep an eye on your child.

Here's a cute Mickey one I found at Kohls.com(and a Minnie and Pooh one too!)...I'm trying to decide if we should get on for our just turned 3 y.o. when we go as my in-laws are going along too and they may want to venture off with him on their own. It might be hard for them to run after him if he starts running! He's great at darting in and around people and could get lost quickly and easily!
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/bab...417/Mickey+Mouse+2in1+Plush+Harness+Buddy.jsp

I never put a leash on my kids...just something I didn't do. If others feel the need to do this to keep their child safe, so be it.
I think the wrist bands work just as well ... they are like a plastic coil that attaches to each of your wrists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!