What do you do with people that cut in line to meet up with group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil'sFrontier

DIS Veteran
You know what I mean; those people who have a member of their group stand in line. Then several members of the group or family come through the line saying 'excuse me' like they have a special place in line ahead of you saved.
This happened to me at several rides including the safari at AK, TT at Epcot, Star tours at DHS. I can't think of more off the top of my head but it did happen at every park(also @ universal but the lines there were in general shorter).
Would I be right in NOT letting these line cutters through? What do you guys do? Just let them barge through? I don't want to start a whole thing with someone in line, but I do feel it is really unfair to those who are waiting. Especially when you get several adults cutting in front of dozens and dozens of children who are waiting along with the rest of us.

It is perfectly within your rights not to let them through. However, I suggest if you see someone go out past you, you let them back in past you. I certainly wouldn't begrudge someone that waited that suddenly has to take a kid to the rest room coming back in. Also if you haven't been in line that long, let em by. They may have came out before you got there. But it is up to you. There is no requirement that you let anyone by. And certainly if it is a big crew of say 5 or more wanting by uh no.

I understand your frustration. All of us encounter this situation. To some it means nothing, and they are willing to allow them through. Others (and I include myself in this group) find it rude and infuriating.

I am more than willing to allow a parent and young child through. I know that bathroom emergencies can happen with little ones, and will give them the benefit of the doubt that they are rejoining the rest of the group.

If it is anyone else, this is what we do:It is a little easier since I am in a wheelchair, so take up a fair bit of the width of a line. DH stands beside me, rather than behind (much easier to hold a conversation this way). If someone tries to cut in front of us we just don't give them room to pass. If they say that they're trying to rejoin their group or family we just smile and tell them that if it is that important that they all ride together, then we're quite sure that their party will wait patiently for them beside the head of the line until they get to the front too. After us. We've never yet had anyone force the issue. Grumble under their breath, yes. That doesn't bother me a bit.

I would ask the person holding the spot to go back where their group is waiting.
Few things get me, but one of these is when you are almost to the front, 10 more people want to cut in front of you.

No way.

The World is full of inconsiderate jerks. Life's too short to spend your time worrying about such people. Never waste an opportunity to be nice to someone else, even if they don't deserve it.

For the occasional bathroom emergency it is not a biggie to me. I dont think people should do that at every ride, but it you somehow get separated for a REAL reason, I dont mind them joining their family in line. Sometimes you just "gotta go"...especially little kids. :upsidedow

I don't usually let them pass. If it's a parent with a child, sure. If there is a decent reason and they're polite, sure.

More than one teenager or adults together just moving up through the line when they can't even see their friend, no.

on our last trip we were waiting for Rapunzel - we were second in line. When they let us in I had to go to the left to park the ECV (as directed by a CM) and DH and kids went to the right. As I was walking up the right side to get back up with DH and kids (I had the camera) I heard one person get snarky about me cutting in line :confused3

on our last trip we were waiting for Rapunzel - we were second in line. When they let us in I had to go to the left to park the ECV (as directed by a CM) and DH and kids went to the right. As I was walking up the right side to get back up with DH and kids (I had the camera) I heard one person get snarky about me cutting in line :confused3

That's funny, because I'd have no problem with that. It's the group of 5 teenagers pushing through everyone saying their friends are up ahead that turns me into the immovable object. Any the Rapunzel line is one of the few places where they'll actually let you hold a place in line for the rest of your group.

I don't mind when parents with children do this. I understand how difficult a long line up can be with little ones, and yes that "all of a sudden" potty break does often happen in line ups. I am sorry if we were one of "those" people who did this to you!!:confused3

I'm not one to start a big to do.......but it depends on the situation. If I've been waiting on line with my little ones and it's 95 degrees or pouring rain...for a long time and then a bunch of teenagers try to cut I'd follow them (as if I were part of the group) and tell on them....or yell something like "LINE CUTTERS!" Ha Ha Ha Ha. If it was a family member or 2 saying they were meeting a family member I'd probably give them a dirty look and mumble something loud enough for them to hear. If it was a child and a parent, I'd let them go with a smile b/c I'm like 90% sure it was a bathroom break!

If it were me with one of my kids (3YO & 6YO) I would hope people would let us meet up with my husband and other child and be OK with it, but if they weren't I'd totally understand....but I'd be sure to be nice about getting back in line, "Excuse me, sorry...my daughter had to use the bathroom and couldn't hold it...."

I don't mind when parents with children do this. I understand how difficult a long line up can be with little ones, and yes that "all of a sudden" potty break does often happen in line ups. I am sorry if we were one of "those" people who did this to you!!:confused3

Yeah, big difference when it's a parent with a child vs teens or adults.

That said, we were in the peter pan (IIRC) line and I got out to refill our drinks with water on a hot May afternoon. On my way out I made sure I made eye contact with every few people said I needed to get water for my girls and I'd be right back.

I came back and no one seemed to have a problem. Granted I was gone for maybe 3 or 4 minutes and the line was still mostly outside. I was also tall enough to step over all the chains to make a strait beeline to my wife and daughters so it wasn't like I was pushing past anyone really, lol.

honestly, i dont really even care if its one person or something what difference does it really make? they probably are just trying to meet up with their group, and a lot of attractions bunch up and the go back into lines again anyway so its not really a big deal.

Every time, it was all adults on this trip.(I am posting from the WorldQuest resort btw) Once it was a family, but lead by a pushy mom. And the kids were all teens.
I really try no to sweat the small stuff in life, but I don't think we had a single park day without people cutting in one line or another. So it just started to bug me. I am Canadian so I am a professional at standing in a proper line...lol
I am always courteous in public holding doors and helping out elderly people or a parent that could use an extra hand from time to time.
I like a lot of these responses. Maybe I wil try out some of these suggestions on the dream when we set sail ON SUNDAY!:banana:

If it is one or two people I don't usually say anything because, like others have said, you never know what the reason may be. Now that being said, my family has never done this as we just always stay together. I, nor my husband, never let our kids wonder around without at least one of us being with them; even as teens.
My 13yo DS does NOT walk off without one of us, not even to the bathroom areas. While Disney may be a happy, friendly place, it still is not safe to let a child go off alone!!!

You know what I mean; those people who have a member of their group stand in line. Then several members of the group or family come through the line saying 'excuse me' like they have a special place in line ahead of you saved.
This happened to me at several rides including the safari at AK, TT at Epcot, Star tours at DHS. I can't think of more off the top of my head but it did happen at every park(also @ universal but the lines there were in general shorter).
Would I be right in NOT letting these line cutters through? What do you guys do? Just let them barge through? I don't want to start a whole thing with someone in line, but I do feel it is really unfair to those who are waiting. Especially when you get several adults cutting in front of dozens and dozens of children who are waiting along with the rest of us.

I smile at them with a big toothy grin and say "I'm sure the rest of your party will wait patiently for you at the loading station."
;)

I was just telling DH about this thread and he laughed. He said that all you need to do is turn around, hold up your hand and intone: "In the words of Gandalf the Grey - You Shall Not Pass!". Would probably work best if you were well over 6 ft. tall and carried a big staff:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I might be in the minority but I can't really see the big deal. :confused3 Obviously if one person was waiting in line and suddenly twenty people came to join them, that's different. However another 1-3, I don't mind.

During our trip last week, my sister and I were waiting to met Belle and Beast at EPCOT. Neither were out yet and I wasn't feeling well, so my sister waited in line while I grabbed a bottle of water and used the bathrooms nearby. When I returned, Belle had arrived, no Beast and the line had barely moved. Had we both left the line, the line would have been cut off and we couldn't have seen them.

At the end of the day I'm at Disney World and I'm not going to let anyone ruin my time there. If people cut in line, :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!