What Disneyland means to me

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing. I made it through the first without crying but by the 2nd I was in tears.

Disneyland is so special to me also.

I am so glad that I read your post, Alex. Thank you so much for sharing a story that clearly came from your heart. :flower3:

I am ashamed to admit that when I first read the title, I thought to myself that of course I know what Disneyland means to everybody; we all love the magic, etc. :guilty:But once I started to read it, oh my, I felt really happy that I did read it. :surfweb:

I had a very happy childhood and so I cannot relate to some of your story in that way, (how fortunate I have been). :)Instead, Disneyland for me has ALWAYS been a part of my life. I grew up very nearby and started going regularly when I was a baby. We went for all of our birthdays and when out of town relatives came, and just for the heck of it. My Mom was Disney-crazy too and that's where I get it from. Even now, living 2,000 miles away, I still am Disney obsessed. :banana:We make a trip there every time we go to California for a visit. I can't even imagine a life without Disney! :confused3

Your story was so touching, I know your Father was with you on your trip. I have lost my parents now too and life is never the same once they are gone. :sad2: For me, part of the joy of Disneyland is the memories I have of my childhood there, things are different in many ways, there are new rides and new parades, new restaurants, but it is still the same, you know? It's not the THINGS at Disney that make it Disney. It's the feelings and for me the memories, something you cannot bottle or even describe with words very accurately. But it's there. And the people on the board all feel it. Your post really brought home to me that we all come from different backgrounds, we all have different life experiences, but Disneyland brings us all together :grouphug:and whether or not we have the same experiences in life, we share this joy, this love of Disney.

So I thank you, Alex, for sharing your story with us. :thumbsup2I'm usually very upbeat and positive, so it was really not like me to have a questionable thought like I did BEFORE reading your post. :confused3I'm very glad you felt safe sharing it with us. And that young boy you gave the money to? Well, I hope that he paid it forward. I have a feeling that he did. Afterall, there IS magic at Disneyland. :wizard:

I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone that responded. I really wasn't sure what to expect, and I can tell you that I had to take a few deep breaths to get through writing that first post. I really appreciate all the kind words you all have offered and "in these troubled times" (drink) every little bit of positivity helps!

Alex, thanks so much for sharing your story with us. It is obvious how personal the words were/are, and how much honesty is in them.
In some ways, we have much in common. We are the same age, and like you I heard wonderful stories of this far-off place that had magic around every turn. Because of our financial situation, it was about as accessible as Mars, but to know it even existed made me happy, and to see the images and hear the music on TV made me tear up with every emotion at once. Finally, as a teen, I got there myself, and have returned at every time in my life that it was possible. Now, as a mother to three children myself, I have made it a point to make Disneyland a tangible part of my kids' lives.
My father also never made it to see Walt's land, but he never wanted to go. He wasn't a "people" person, or a "Happier Ever After" person. Life kicked him hard early on and magic was lost on him. When he passed in 1992 I doubt that missing out on Disneyland was one of his regrets. However, on every trip to DL I take the time to admire the things that he would have appreciated - The train, the architecture, the details in design, the historical reproductions....and I feel him closer to me. If that makes sense??
Something cool I was able to accomplish was that in 1993 I introduced my Mom to Disneyland. She had also had a hard-scrabble childhood and had never made it until then, at the age of 47. She has returned with us twice since and is looking forward to our next trip with the same excitement as our children....
So I guess I "get" what you are saying. And I also think that your story about the $20 was just awesome. I was that child, at different points in my life, and a stranger sweeping in with money would just about have been like true heaven-sent event. I am sure that boy remembers it, and will some day to something equally as selfless for another child doing without.....
And you can bet that the next time I return to Disney, I'll have an extra $20 stashed in my pocket "just in case..." ;)

Well, now y'all have almost brought ME to tears, reading all the incredibly warm responses here and what you all have shared about your own personal experiences.

A
My father also never made it to see Walt's land, but he never wanted to go. He wasn't a "people" person, or a "Happier Ever After" person.

My Dad was by no means a Disney fan. He spoke several times about things he disliked about Disney in general. Furthermore, he was not a man who liked children at all. He mostly found them annoying and always referred to them as "monsters."

The last time we were together was a trip we took to New York. He promised to take me to any Broadway show I wanted to go to. I wanted to see Lion King but we weren't able to get tickets. I picked Beauty and the Beast as my consolation show...

He kind of hemmed and hawed about it but it was a promise so he got us tickets. It was a Wednesday matinee and the theatre was packed full of very young kids. I thought my Dad was going to explode.

But wouldn't you know... by halfway through the first act he had forgotten all of that and was just absolutely loving it. My Dad always had this thing about "the French" and he was in absolute hysterics over the performance from Lumiere. He ended up calling B&B one of the best shows he'd ever seen on Broadway. (That's saying a lot from a guy that wrote about classical music for a living!)

I know that there would have been a lot about the parks that he would have loved had we ever been able to get there together. He would have adored World Showcase, for sure. I can't help thinking about the fun we would have had there together!

I hope to get back to "the world" someday!

Alex, thanks so much for sharing that wonderful story. It seems to have touched a lot of people, including myself.

I was taken to DL by my parents when I was very young. It was probably the only place that I saw both of my parents relax and completely enjoy themselves. They got more enjoyment at seeing us kids have a good time more then anything. I think the only time I saw them hold hands was when they rode POTC and IASW which were two of their favorite rides.

My Dad died 15 years ago and my mother is now 81 years old and not really able to get around a park like she would want to. She refuses to sit in a wheelchair and be pushed around. They never got to go to Disneyland one more time like both of them wanted. I share all of my stories, movies and pictures with my mom and she completely lights up.

Disneyland has always been that place where I don't have to worry about health problems, financial woes, economy trouble, work issues or anything else. I literally forget everything and act like I'm 10 years old again for 4 days.

My partner and I buy Mickey Ears with our names on them as the first thing we do entering the park. Even before we have our coffee. :) The minute those ears go on, it's time to relax and forget, without a care in the world.

The flight home is always so meloncholy.......

Your stories really touch me Alex, I never knew it could mean that much, but after reading that I realize that there's probably a lot of people with a similar story or a similar feeling.

And you definitely need a reward or something for giving that kid 20 dollars, that was so nice! It's your type who makes Disney "The Happiest Place on Earth" Keep it up! :)

Great stories, like everyone else said. And welcome to the amazing community of the DLR Disboards! :)

I can't believe I've been passing this thread over. I opened this thread a few days ago and carelessly skimmed over the posts, not taking in the full meaning of the subject. Just now, I decided to read your story word for word, and I am so touched at your sharing. Your rough childhood has shown me how much I took for granted my own childhood.

My mother passed away as well, but at a young age when I was 9. To this day, I regret having treated her the way I did. I would throw silly irrational temper tantrums and drive her to the point of tears. I will never forgive myself for doing so. When I was entering 4th grade, she was diagnosed with stomach cancer, but it was caught in its late stages. My father spent tens of thousands of dollars on treatment and care, and even flew my mom down to Mexico to find treatment. Unfortunately, she passed in December of '99. That Christmas, my father, sister, and I took a trip, just the three of us, to DL. It was the first family trip we had ever had without my mom. It was bittersweet. DL brought magic into our family, and even though my mom wasn't there to celebrate with us, Walt helped us move on as a family. I remember when I was 5 holding her hand as we walked down Main Street USA; this is a memory I will cherish for a long time.

Thanks so much for starting this thread, Alex. And sorry for taking over with my own sob story! I've really taken things into perspective and now know not to take things for granted. But this is extraordinary seeing how we all have our own memories to share, in a way, we are all really connected.

Oh, Sherwin, now you made me cry. :grouphug: I am so sorry to hear about your Mother. It is so painful to lose your parents, you are never ready for them to be gone. But please, do not beat yourself up about throwing tantrums and doing kidstuff. You were a child. As a mother (and grandmother) I can assure you, your Mother loved you like crazy even when you were being difficult. It's just how Mothers are. :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter