What could a great smile, pleasant attitude and a love of Disney get you at check in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP's question is perplexing. There are thousands of people each day that smile and are friendly to CM's (and do it not even expecting anything), yet the OP seems to feel they're more entitled to something for free because they are going to smile ? I have to admit, this cracks me up. :rotfl2:

I am sorry if a simple question caused you to become preplexed. Laugh all you wish if that makes you feel cool or better. As I mentioned, I travel a great deal for work and I constantly get free upgrades in my rooms at the hotels and resorts I stay at simply by asking, yes, that is right.

All I did was ask a simple questions as I do not visit this site or Diseny as frequently as many on here.

For those with the helpful and insighful replies, my family and I thank you...

But this isn't exactly your first kick at the cat. You've been to WDW before, and judging by several of your previous threads, you must know that freebies aren't that common any more. I'm surprised that you even asked, knowing the responses you've received from similar questions.

Seems like bashing is continuing with the laughing at OP...as if some are smarter, more sophisticated, more in the 'in' with Disney etiquette.
Honest question, deserves the honest answers, but the judgment for the reasons for asking seem unfair. Plus, the smirking is repelling.

JMHO, and I hope you have a wonderful trip, nuge67!

thank you

But this isn't exactly your first kick at the cat. You've been to WDW before, and judging by several of your previous threads, you must know that freebies aren't that common any more. I'm surprised that you even asked, knowing the responses you've received from similar questions.

Have not been there in 4 years and I thought this was a forum in which to ask questions, more so for new visitors or those who have not been there in a while in hopes all ofthe Disney experts can offer all your valuable knowledge that can't be found elsewhere.

There's the old adage that the only stupid question is the one not asked,.

It's can't hurt to ask the pros.

So neither a CM at the airport or at your front desk can offer you something for free, such as a preferred room, fast pass option, upgrade or park tickets, NOTHING? I just figured it was good customer service....

I'm not taking a dig at you by any means, but your second question was different from your first. Of course a CM MAY offer you something special--a balloon, a room upgrade because you had to wait a long time to check in, stickers or something else. It is possible that those things could happen IF a CM offered it. But you asked initially if you could ASK for something special and folks don't get special high-dollar things by asking for them at Disney. Just not how it works.

We've had wonderful customer service at WDW and a room upgrade once at a Value resort (which I didn't even want!) but I'd never expect or even hope for tickets or anything along that price point.

Just out of curiosity, what were you thinking a CM at the airport could offer? That's not a sarcastic question--just wondering what you were asking about in regards to that.

nuge67 said:
Have not been there in 4 years and I thought this was a forum in which to ask questions, more so for new visitors or those who have not been there in a while in hopes all ofthe Disney experts can offer all your valuable knowledge that can't be found elsewhere.

There's the old adage that the only stupid question is the one not asked,.

It's can't hurt to ask the pros.

You are absolutely right, it never hurts to ask. And I'm sorry that some posts have been less then kind. People should just answer the question, and not be so judgmental.
As I mentioned, asking at WDW isn't a good idea. It's better to just let the magic happen. I am happy if my room requests are met. And sometimes I've been sprinkled with pixie dust, and have been upgraded several times, but have never asked for it.
I usually go in slow seasons. If you are going in peak times it's doubtful you'd get an upgrade.

Hey op :). Happy planning and I completely understand your question. We've only stayed onsite twice and I don't believe we have gotten an upgrade but we sure did get our request last year. Went to POR and was given one of the new bayou rooms that no one had stayed in yet! I don't think I would ask but would be pleasantly surprised if offered. You never know! One of my friends was bumped from Pop to the Contemporary one time due to overbooking. To me that would be great. Happy planning and have a great trip!!

Btw..I can't remember where I read it but did read that AKL had more surprise upgrades than most if this is a place you would want to stay.

If you are thinking a free upgrade...expect to have to pay for an upgrade if you want one. Then you won't be disappointed. Of course you can ask for a preferred room, but at Disney it should not be expected that you will get it at no extra cost just for the asking. They just don't operate like Vegas or a business hotel.

As for the airport...that might apply only to the cruise...and even then you shouldn't expect an upgrade.

And no, it's not "standard good customer service" to automatically offer guests free stuff at WDW. Free park tickets? That's kind of a lot to expect.

If you are thinking a free upgrade...expect to have to pay for an upgrade if you want one. Then you won't be disappointed. Of course you can ask for a preferred room, but at Disney it should not be expected that you will get it at no extra cost just for the asking. They just don't operate like Vegas or a business hotel.

As for the airport...that might apply only to the cruise...and even then you shouldn't expect an upgrade.

And no, it's not "standard good customer service" to automatically offer guests free stuff at WDW. Free park tickets? That's kind of a lot to expect.

I guess I'm a little confused. I don't think the OP said he expected a free upgrade. And your last sentence saying "That's kind of a lot to expect." It just gets a little frustrating when someone asks a question and it is interpreted as something else.

Sounds like a lot of responses try to humiliate a person for asking a question that they don't agree with. I realize a public forum will get a lot of extra information that was not originally asked for, that is undestandable but some of the posts telling the OP they might want to travel somewhere other than Disney if you expect free upgrades, tacky was another and saying the OP expects a lot.:confused3

I got an upgrade at the Wilderness Lodge. I didn't ask. I think they just happen randomely. As others have said, maybe due to things like overbooking a category of a room? I really would never think of asking for something like that, because I am just thrilled to be there, no matter my room category. But I wouldn't say, you shouldn't ask. If you want to ask, then ask.

I guess I'm a little confused. I don't think the OP said he expected a free upgrade. And your last sentence saying "That's kind of a lot to expect." It just gets a little frustrating when someone asks a question and it is interpreted as something else.

Sounds like a lot of responses try to humiliate a person for asking a question that they don't agree with. I realize a public forum will get a lot of extra information that was not originally asked for, that is undestandable but some of the posts telling the OP they might want to travel somewhere other than Disney if you expect free upgrades, tacky was another and saying the OP expects a lot.:confused3

I agree, I mean, you come to a Disney site not because you want to or wish to travel elsewhere, you come to an informative site like here to ask questions about Disney. Not everyone is a seasoned Disney veteran. I never expected or demanded to get a free upgrade, free tickets or anything of that nature, I was just curious to see if in fact it every happens and if so, how and why. And it actually seems that it does happen randomly now and then to some degree.

Don't magical things and great surprises happen once on a while at Disney?

Thanks to those who take time out to help those of us like me who are trying to learn as much as we can about Disney because we want to vacation there, not somewhere else.

Free park tickets IS a lot to expect. Disney does not give away park tickets as a matter of course.

Yes, magical things and surprises happen often at Disney. But on the level of a card in your room from Mickey, a phone call from Goofy, a happy birthday button, a sticker for the kids most of the time. Not free park tickets or room upgrades. I know it's done differently elsewhere, especially for business travelers, so the OP should go in knowing it's an entirely different thing, so they don't come back and complain that they got nothing.

Free room upgrades do happen but it's usually when the hotel needs to move someone to make room for something else or solve an occupancy issue - not just to be nice. Walt Disney World may be the only place I can think of where actually asking for a free room upgrade may make you less likely to get one. They prefer to surprise people.

nuge67 said:
I agree, I mean, you come to a Disney site not because you want to or wish to travel elsewhere, you come to an informative site like here to ask questions about Disney. Not everyone is a seasoned Disney veteran. I never expected or demanded to get a free upgrade, free tickets or anything of that nature, I was just curious to see if in fact it every happens and if so, how and why. And it actually seems that it does happen randomly now and then to some degree.

Don't magical things and great surprises happen once on a while at Disney?

Thanks to those who take time out to help those of us like me who are trying to learn as much as we can about Disney because we want to vacation there, not somewhere else.

I am sorry, but if you asked about it in a round about way, you are hoping for it. You say it does happen and you are curious how. Hundreds of thousands of people go to Disney ever year. The people who talk about an upgrade here represent a fraction of the people who go to Disney and the upgrades were completely out of their control.

Yes, magical things and great surprises happen to me every year.

They have all been of my own making. I would be more than happy to tell you how that happens as a veteran. Just let me know and I will be more than happy to tell you endless stories about those little moments.

But if you are looking to get an upgrade to something everyone else already paid for, I am not your girl.

These threads just blow my mind.

It's so tacky to ask for something you didn't pay for. It's such an immediate turn off for the worker. And it's uncomfortable.

Pay for what you want and if something special happens then great.

The OP was just curious. If she had never stayed at a Disney resort, she was just asking if it is the same as other resorts or hotels.

When I travel on business I am frequently told, "We've upgraded you to a jacuzzi room", or, "We've upgraded you to a junior suite", or, "We've upgraded you to a golf course view"

Why in the world do we have to jump on peoples motives or intentions EVERY time this innocent question is asked on the Dis??????

Maybe we just have extraordinary luck, but we've been upgraded four times at WDW. However, three of those incidents were quite a while ago, so maybe things have changed. Here's the chronology:

2000 DS's first visit to WDW. GF Garden view to Sugarloaf for $50 more per night. This was when the club level services were run by a separate entity. They called our house two weeks before our visit to offer us this deal and we said yes. Best move ever!

2001: We were so in love with the GF that we returned. DH asked at check in if there was a way to repeat the previous year's amazing club level experience. There was not a similar deal; however, our lovely CM upgraded us from Garden view to Theme Park view.

2002: We didn't enjoy CSR and moved to AKL which was only a little over a year old. I had read reviews on Trip Advisor, stating that people were getting free upgrades to savannah rooms pretty easily. We asked about an upgrade to savannah, but were fully prepared to pay for it. Our CM upgraded us at no charge.

2009: We were booked at the GF, but concerned when I read about construction there on this site. We were worried about upsetting our son who suffers from hyper reactivity, an extreme sensitivity to loud noises. We contacted the GF ahead of time and were given a beautiful lodge tower room and a bunch of lovely welcome gifts.

On all our other trips, we got what we paid for and it was all great.

Not sure what it'll get you at check-in, but it'll sure as heck get you flamed here.

Why in the world do we have to jump on peoples motives or intentions EVERY time this innocent question is asked on the Dis??????

:lmao: It wouldn't be the Dis if it didn't happen.

We have been upgraded at WDW a few years ago when we were staying for 21 days. Upon check in they have us a room upgrade to concierge level. We didn't ask for it, it was just some random Disney Magic.

In LA on the way home this year, we were given a huge suite for one night. These things do happen but I find it generally as a random act.

OP - I think you should, just ask. The worse thing that can happen is that the CM says no. I see no harm in asking.
Our last trip in August we traveled with 2 other families. My family wanted Club Level so that is what we booked. The other 2 families did not book Club Level. Upon check in while my family was on Club Level checking in, the other 2 families simply asked about a possible CL upgrade. It was granted. For both families. And they were both given lagoon views. We also were given a lagoon view as an upgrade that we did not ask for.
And, this was the 2nd time one of those families was upgraded to CLub Level. Simply by asking.
With that said, I myself could never ask. I just don't have it in me to do so. But I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I travel a great deal for work and many times I have received great upgrades, even suites, by just asking. So I figured that may be a possibility here as well but I guess not.

I do not care or need a preferred room to enjoy my stay, but I didn't know if was even worth asking for if those so called perferred rooms are still available sitting there empty.

If you look like you need a little magic, or if you're at WDW to celebrate something extra special, the CM or their manager may feel inclined to sprinkle you with pixiedust:. But asking for it, or subtly suggesting you might want one, is the wrong way to go about it.

My two favorite instances: one time we had booked a standard view room at WL, and were randomly (read: magically) upgraded at check-in to a courtyard view. Another, at YC, we had asked for adjoining rooms. When we went up to our rooms, they were several rooms apart. I went back down and asked if it would be possible to be relocated to two rooms closer together, and the manager, over my (admittedly weak) objections, gave us a complimentary upgrade to connecting water view rooms.

Of course, I've never tried the Vegas-preferred $50 bill behind the credit card trick...

So neither a CM at the airport or at your front desk can offer you something for free, such as a preferred room, fast pass option, upgrade or park tickets, NOTHING? I just figured it was good customer service....

I think the second post by the OP shows that they in fact, DID, expect something for free - and not only did they expect it, but felt that it's bad customer service not to offer the freebies.

That second post is what stirred the irritation, not necessarily the question itself.

I think the second post by the OP shows that they in fact, DID, expect something for free - and not only did they expect it, but felt that it's bad customer service not to offer the freebies.

That second post is what stirred the irritation, not necessarily the question itself.

::yes::

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter