What Can 18 year olds Do on DCL?

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
Considering a 2023 cruise. My daughter will be 18 at that time. I know she will be allowed at the Quiet Cove/Adult area but where else can she go and what can she do? We won't allow her to drink alcohol but can she go to a bar or a lounge, not drink, and enjoy nightlife with us? Can she also join us at Palo or different adult dining experience? I was reading an article, granted from a couple of years ago, that there is a College Club where 18-22 year olds can get together and get to know one another (though it didn't say where this takes place or when). Does this exist?

The club that you're referring to is the 1820 society, which welcomes anyone that's 18-20 years of age. If you look at some old personal navigators, then you can see what sorts of activities they get up to. More recently, I remember seeing 1820 events for coffee tastings and sports, but I wasn't really looking for them.

Your daughter can absolutely join you at Palo, Remy, Enchante, or any other adults-only restaurant. She can also join you just about anywhere else. Her key to the world card will be marked to not allow her to purchase alcohol, though.

Last edited:
The club that you're referring to is the 1821 society, which welcomes anyone that's 18-21 years of age. If you look at some old personal navigators, then you can see what sorts of activities they get up to. More recently, I remember seeing 1821 events for coffee tastings and sports, but I wasn't really looking for them.

Your daughter can absolutely join you at Palo, Remy, Enchante, or any other adults-only restaurant. She can also join you just about anywhere else. Her key to the world card will be marked to not allow her to purchase alcohol, though.
Thanks so much for the information. My daughter will be happy about this. Greatly appreciated.

There's an 1820 society, for kids 18-20. Usually the first night is the meet up at Cove Cafe for coffee tastings. They don't have a set meeting location, but plan out 1-2 activities/day. My oldest did it in 2018, they have things like ice cream socials, craft times, lunch together at the buffet,some sports deck things, etc.

Your 18 yr old can go to ALL the adult activities/spaces, just can't buy alcohol. Make sure she has her key card with her all the time though as they may check to make sure she's an adult. Amazingly, our cruise this summer with my 18 and 22 yr old DDs they only got 'carded' when we went to lunch at Serenity Bay. Not sure if part of it was the fact that they wore their graduation ears around the ship, so people could tell they were old enough or what.

There's an 1820 society, for kids 18-20. Usually the first night is the meet up at Cove Cafe for coffee tastings. They don't have a set meeting location, but plan out 1-2 activities/day. My oldest did it in 2018, they have things like ice cream socials, craft times, lunch together at the buffet,some sports deck things, etc.

Your 18 yr old can go to ALL the adult activities/spaces, just can't buy alcohol. Make sure she has her key card with her all the time though as they may check to make sure she's an adult. Amazingly, our cruise this summer with my 18 and 22 yr old DDs they only got 'carded' when we went to lunch at Serenity Bay. Not sure if part of it was the fact that they wore their graduation ears around the ship, so people could tell they were old enough or what.
Thank you for the information and tip about keeping her card with her. She is 17 now but looks 14/15.

It’s very important to make that first meeting on day 1. Sets the program up for the week. They decide when, what, where, and then they they brunch, movie groups. Even if they go just for the first 10 minutes and express interest to the CM. CM is responsible to get things going and make everyone have chances to do things.

It’s very important to make that first meeting on day 1. Sets the program up for the week. They decide when, what, where, and then they they brunch, movie groups. Even if they go just for the first 10 minutes and express interest to the CM. CM is responsible to get things going and make everyone have chances to do things.
How do I find out when & where on day 1? Guest services? Thank u for letting me, I did not know.

The first meeting of the 1820 Society should be listed in the Navigator in the DCL app once you board (possibly starting once you are at the port). Future meetings are listed in the Navigator if they are set up by cast members, but it is also possible group members will set up informal meet-ups on their own. That’s why it’s important to be at the first meeting to get to know the group.

My daughter was 20 on our most recent cruise. The 1820 stuff was just so-so for her. She did go to the first meeting, which you (a) have to know what it is and (b) know to look for on the app so you can find when and where it is, and (c) be able to show up at that time. There were a couple of cast members who helped set up a few I guess you'd say "official" get-togethers, but it was usually just about 1 activity a day on our cruise, and of course the timing doesn't necessarily work for everyone. They did list these activities in the navigator later, but again, you had to kind of keep searching to see if one got added. Not all the activities appealed to her (e.g. she doesn't drink coffee), but there were a couple she went to, and found them OK to fun. I think if someone is more extroverted or makes friends with strangers easily, it provides a good way to meet others of similar age.

But, beyond the chance to just meet some other people, it probably helps to think of 1820 more as a "here's an activity that might happen once (or twice on other cruises?) a day", rather than something more like kids have where there's a club with basically always something to do. It was a nice thing to add-on, but definitely wasn't a major factor in the overall cruise.

In addition to make sure that you get the best opportunities you could send a message on the app mentioning that you wanted to be included in the 1820 society meetings. List a few things that you’re interested in doing(and don’t forget that even though it’s not something that you’re interested in they probably have something available for you. For example I know someone mentioned that they weren’t interested in the coffee shop but you can get specialty cream sodas, teas, other unusual drinks there more than just coffee. All they need to do is mention they don’t like coffee and they would be happy to serve you something else. I’ve had flavored sodas there from time to time because I can’t have coffee after 12 noon.
Try to remember to be open minded when you go to the events.
More often they can wharf in the same thing that they’re more interested in actually doing. Plus I have your Child go to all the adult activities they are interested in and they will probably recognize people from the group in the adult event anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!