• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are the chances...

clemsondisneygirl

Mouseketeer
We are VERY EARLY in the process of buying our first DVC contract. (offer accepted, should go to ROFR this week) My question is...we plan to visit WDW in February 2023 and before we found this contract had put in requests for rental points, doing as a split stay, AKL 2/17-2/21 and RIV 2/21-24. The Riv stay is already booked and can't use resale points there anyway so will keep that and just pay cash one last time. However, for the AKL stay...what are the chances there will still be availability by the time our points come through. I'm assuming that is ~60 days away and likely right around the 7 month mark for our vacay. I'd love to be able to cancel the rental request and book that first half on our own points instead! Thoughts from the experts???

We have no idea if you are booking a studio or a grand villa. That’s a lot of nights to assume youll get one continuous booking. There are waitlists that might fill, like poly studio has hundreds of rooms. 1BRs are much easier. I would bet you can piece something together.

You might get the contract all done at 7 months, and then you’ll definitely be able to book a lot. Maybe not exactly what you want, but there will be something.

I’d cancel and book with points.

So many factors. You might be stuck in ROFR for 75 days or more. Who knows! I think chances are good something will be available somewhere, but if you want or need an exact match for what you already have booked I don't know if I'd want to risk it.

Or they might exercise ROFR & you might have to start all over again. Feb. tends to be fairly easy, except your AKV reservation 2/17 - 2/21 happens to be the 3 day President’s day weekend, so a bit more challenging.

A couple things to think about -

1. Do you feel fairly comfortable your contract with pass ROFR? They have been taking a good amount recently, so if it doesn’t pass, that would reset your clock. Hoping it does pass for you!
2. Having points 60 days from now may be a little optimistic. It seems like ROFR is going fairly slow - I know we have people at the 40+ day mark, then you will need to close, which can take weeks, then it typically takes a few weeks to create an account, and then some additional time to load the points, which you can usually expedite.
3. What room type do you want at AKV - are you flexible based on avilibility? Would you stay at either Kidani or Jambo? If flexible, and you can book around the 7 month mark, I think you could probably be fine as AKV is a big resort with a lot of rooms. Also, would you be okay booking at another resort if no AK? It could be that AK doesn’t work but you could still book at OKW or SSR using your own points.

Ultimately if you want a very specific room type at AKV, I would stay with the rental. If you are flexible about where you are staying/room type and would just like to use you own points, I would cancel. Also, with this option, may not be a bad idea to book a cash stay with Disney, then you know regardless of what happens, you have a room somewhere, and if you secure your DVC reservation, you can cancel without penalty.

I wouldn't limit myself to just AKV. Add in SSR and OKW, and be willing to split stay and it will probably work in your favor.

I think you'll be OK. AKV doesn't book that quickly. You didn't tell us room sizes or views, but if you are flexible, I'm not seeing a problem here. Especially if you are willing to stalk/wait list.

We are VERY EARLY in the process of buying our first DVC contract. (offer accepted, should go to ROFR this week) My question is...we plan to visit WDW in February 2023 and before we found this contract had put in requests for rental points, doing as a split stay, AKL 2/17-2/21 and RIV 2/21-24. The Riv stay is already booked and can't use resale points there anyway so will keep that and just pay cash one last time. However, for the AKL stay...what are the chances there will still be availability by the time our points come through. I'm assuming that is ~60 days away and likely right around the 7 month mark for our vacay. I'd love to be able to cancel the rental request and book that first half on our own points instead! Thoughts from the experts???

If the rental is booked, the first thing is whether you have a contract that allows you to cancel and get money back.

If you can, until you have your points it all depends on room size. Your travel is during Presidents week too so that could impact what is still there when you close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter