What are some positive things that you admire about the 18th century?

I am ecstatic about it not being now! I hate chamber pots and corncob clean up tools.
Some indoor plumbing did exist for the rich and some plumbing advancements did come to be because 18th century inventors worked hard to bring early forms of the modern toilet into fruition. It really didn’t make progress until the 1840’s but we should still thank 18th century inventors who tried their best. Also outhouses are different than a chamber pot.
https://www.greenplumbingnj.com/plumbing-innovations-of-the-18th-century/

Christmas songs that are from the 18th century (Georgian era) or had origins during or before that time period. Your colonial ancestors may have sung these in some form:

I love Baroque music! When CDs first came out, I bought a fairly expensive stereo system and a few Baroque CDs. It sounded so good! Still have the CDs, but not the stereo. I also like the architecture of the period. When I first visited Colonial Williamsburg, I was in awe of the buildings there. One of these days I will find a way to visit again.

Also outhouses are different than a chamber pot.
When I was born, my grandparents lived on a farm. The original farmhouse did not have a bathroom, so there was an outhouse. They eventually added a bathroom when I was still a baby, but kept the outhouse for when people got dirty working outdoors, so they wouldn’t track dirt through the house. I remember my grandmother taking me out there a few times after we had been in the garden or berry picking. I was four when they sold the farm and so far as I know the outhouse was still there when they moved away. I can’t tell from Google Earth if it is still there or not, although the rest of the buildings, including the root cellar built into the hillside, are still there.

The Baroque Christmas music is great. I may put it on while we open gifts.

I fly down to Colonial Williamsburg tomorrow for Grand Illumination. The first thing I'll be doing tomorrow night is the Celebration of the Yule Log (https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/events/a-celebration-of-the-yule-log/?date=2022-12-09). That's going to be followed by Christmastide Music at the Courthouse (https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/events/christmastide-music-at-the-courthouse/?date=2022-12-09). That's just the start of a jam-packed nine nights. :)
Enjoy. While you’re there, could you find out if Mr. Jefferson palace garden party plans to make a comeback next year or if it’s permanently been discontinued? Thanks either way and have a great time @seshat0120.

Enjoy. While you’re there, could you find out if Mr. Jefferson palace garden party plans to make a comeback next year or if it’s permanently been discontinued? Thanks either way and have a great time @seshat0120.
It is not being brought back in 2023. Here is a copy of the schedule of key events for 2023 that was sent to donors. It is not on it.

Attachments

• 298001245_10228410598670023_7615935310913219210_n.jpg
    298001245_10228410598670023_7615935310913219210_n.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2
Today's chamber pots are so much better.

You have to admit though, the flush toilets invented in the 18th century should be applauded. Without them, we would still be using chamber pots. I do wonder how many knew on the Disboards that the earliest ones were from 16th century but ones we would recognize were started in the 18th century. You just had to be rich to have one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter