What are some positive things that you admire about the 18th century?

I love Baroque music! When CDs first came out, I bought a fairly expensive stereo system and a few Baroque CDs. It sounded so good! Still have the CDs, but not the stereo. I also like the architecture of the period. When I first visited Colonial Williamsburg, I was in awe of the buildings there. One of these days I will find a way to visit again.

Well except for slave owners. And actually what is your proof that people then cared for others more than today?

As to the original question, can’t really think of a thing.
People today often have a me first attitude and are often impatient. In the 18th century, the community had to be protected in order for society to function. You had to know your neighbor because you had to work with them and do business with them to survive. If a neighbor’s house was on fire, 18th century townspeople rushed to help that family out. That attitude is not universal today. People bought more local products not only because it was immediately available and cheaper than imports but also they new that business owner would invest that profit into fellow local businesses. 18th century people focused less on money (unless you were ultra rich already) and more on family and learning skills to be productive in society. There was no culture of a “hand out”. One thing I do want to mention about slavery in the 18th century is that it was not a black and white issue (no pun intended). Many people never owned slaves and many more were not comfortable with the practice. A slave owner on a large southern plantation was often of a crueler mindset than a northern owner. A owner in the North often had slaves for a status reason and for housekeeping/nanny purposes. As I said before, I’m not defending the practice, but many northern owners acted much more civilly than their southern counterparts. Some people bought slaves, freed them, and taught them to read and write. People are complex beings and shouldn’t be judged with a modern lens.

Last edited:
People today often have a me first attitude and are often impatient. In the 18th century, the community had to be protected in order for society to function. You had to know your neighbor because you had to work with them and do business with them to survive. If a neighbor’s house was on fire, 18th century townspeople rushed to help that family out. That attitude is not universal today. People bought more local products not only because it was immediately available and cheaper than imports but also they new that business owner would invest that profit into fellow local businesses. 18th century people focused less on money (unless you were ultra rich already) and more on family and learning skills to be productive in society. There was no culture of a “hand out”. One thing I do want to mention about slavery in the 18th century is that us was not a black and white issue (no pun intended). Many people never owned slaves and many more were not comfortable with the practice. A slave owner on a large southern plantation was often of a crueler mindset than a northern owner. A owner in the North often had slaves for a status reason and for housekeeping/nanny purposes. As I said before, I’m not defending the practice, but many northern owners acted much more civilly than their southern counterparts. Some people bought slaves, freed them, and taught them to read and write. People are complex beings and shouldn’t be judged with a modern lens.
“People today often have a me first attitude and are often impatient. In the 18th century, the community had to be protected in order for society to function.”

I just think that first peoples and people of color would disagree with the assertion that “the community” was protected.

I’m also not going to engage in a discussion about the degrees of wrongness/cruelty of slave ownership. It was all horrific enough to cancel out “positives” about this time period.

I’m in favor of buying local. I spent yesterday at a local microbrewery and actually Friday Happy Hour was at two different local places. However I also got an Amazon delivery yesterday. People in the 18th century had no option but to produce it themselves or buy local.

Look, I’m not here to argue with you. You asked a question and I gave my answer. You covered music so there was no need for me to reiterate it. It’s starting to look like you only wanted answers that agreed with you.

Last edited:
“People today often have a me first attitude and are often impatient. In the 18th century, the community had to be protected in order for society to function.”

I just think that first peoples and people of color would disagree with the assertion that “the community” was protected.

I’m in favor of buying local. I spent yesterday at a local microbrewery and actually Friday Happy Hour was at two different local places. However I also got an Amazon delivery yesterday. People in the 18th century had no option but to produce it themselves or buy local.

Look, I’m not put to argue with you. You asked a question and I gave my answer. It’s starting to look like you only wanted answers that agreed with you.
I’m not looking to argue. I just wanted explain somethings that are rarely talked about with issues that may only be looked at one way most of the time. Thanks for your response.

I appreciate the range of skills that people had. I know people who throw away pants when a button falls off because they have no idea how to sew it back on.

I also think, by way of necessity, there was a bigger sense of community. It was much harder to live an isolated life then than it is now, not many could've managed it.

I appreciate the range of skills that people had. I know people who throw away pants when a button falls off because they have no idea how to sew it back on.

I also think, by way of necessity, there was a bigger sense of community. It was much harder to live an isolated life then than it is now, not many could've managed it.
This is what I was trying to say before. Thanks for the response. :-)

I am thankful for the inoculation movement that started in the 18th century. Without it, we would be farther behind in medical research and vaccine development. So thanks to those who chose to pursue that beginning research. 🙏

I didn’t say it was a perfect era (life isn’t perfect today by any means). But I think there are somethings our ancestors did way back when that could have positive impacts today. Ex. Play board or card games as a family instead of forever looking at a tv or iPod. Flying a kite instead of staying inside playing video games.
You don't even have to go all the way back to the 18th century for these. To a large extent, it was still this way in the 1970s (even though there were TVs).

I’m also not going to engage in a discussion about the degrees of wrongness/cruelty of slave ownership. It was all horrific enough to cancel out “positives” about this time period.
I don’t believe that in the sense that several negative aspects of a time period does not define a whole era. You can acknowledge the many challenges and issues of a time period while still appreciating things from that period that have nothing to do with those issues.

You don't even have to go all the way back to the 18th century for these. To a large extent, it was still this way in the 1970s (even though there were TVs).
This is true. But the focus on family life/activities was a bigger thing in my opinion in the 18th century than modern times. :confused3

I’m not looking to argue. I just wanted explain somethings that are rarely talked about with issues that may only be looked at one way most of the time. Thanks for your response.
Not here to argue and yet several hours later…let me argue my points against yours yet again.
I don’t believe that in the sense that several negative aspects of a time period does not define a whole era. You can acknowledge the many challenges and issues of a time period while still appreciating things from that period that have nothing to do with those issues.
Granted that negatives don’t negate positives or advances but it’s gross to me to talk about how awesome the music, family and community values were without mentioning the atrocities.

If we focus on the US only, those communities you’re uplifting were being built on stolen land and in many cases developed on the backs of slaves.

Again, it’s seeming more and more like you only want to hear from those who agree with your position.

Not here to argue and yet several hours later…let me argue my points against yours yet again.

Granted that negatives don’t negate positives or advances but it’s gross to me to talk about how awesome the music, family and community values were without mentioning the atrocities.

If we focus on the US only, those communities you’re uplifting were being built on stolen land and in many cases developed on the backs of slaves.

Again, it’s seeming more and more like you only want to hear from those who agree with your position.
I thought the thread is about positives from the 18th century. Everything that you're saying about the atrocities is right, but that wasn't the focus of the thread. You can start a S/O thread to discuss what was wrong with the time period.

You edited your post and I was responding to that. The thread is about the positive aspects of the era. If you don’t think there is, you don’t have to participate (I’m not trying to be mean, just pointing out that not everyone agrees with your view). I could give a whole historical lecture on the stolen land comment but I’ll leave that one alone for the sake of this thread not going off topic.

Last edited:
You edited your post and I was responding to that. The thread is about the positive aspects of the era. If you don’t think there is, you don’t have to participate (I’m not trying to be mean, just pointing out that not everyone agrees with your view). I could give a whole historical lecture on the stolen land comment but I’ll leave that one alone for the sake of this thread not going off topic.

Its an interesting thread, Buzz! There is nothing wrong with talking about the positives of the era, or any era. Can we not not still admire things about say, Ancient Egypt, The Roman Empire, Ancient Japan? Because if your criteria is "we can't say anything good about a time when there were atrocities", well then that eliminates discussion of the entire human epoch, including right to today.

Its an interesting thread, Buzz! There is nothing wrong with talking about the positives of the era, or any era. Can we not not still admire things about say, Ancient Egypt, The Roman Empire, Ancient Japan? Because if your criteria is "we can't say anything good about a time when there were atrocities", well then that eliminates discussion of the entire human epoch, including right to today.
::yes::

Didn't have to worry about social security or medicare.
No, but you could easily die from diseases that're easily cured today, and problems with aging would hit you earlier /last the rest of your life. I'm thinking about Cataracts, hearing problems.
Maybe if you were a man. A lot of women died in childbirth, or soon after, as tcufrog pointed out. Sure the music and art were nice, but other than that i can't think of much to admire.

One of my great-great grandfathers outlived 3 wives.
Yes, dying in childbirth was a real fear in those days -- as was catching your big skirts on fire while you cooked.
BUT my family's the opposite of yours: We have a blood disorder that affects men more strongly than women -- if you look at our family's history, the women outlived men in almost every case.
These are family choices. Board gaming is huge in Germany. If you don't want kids looking at devices, don't buy them.
German board games are great!
Any parent will tell you it's harder than just saying, "Our family doesn't do devices".
But would also offer this, there are many documented cases where women were treated well by their spouse and never abused. I’m not saying that the cases where women were mistreated should ever be forgotten or brushed off. Just that like most issues at the time, it not a one size fits all.
Life was hard for everyone: My great-great grandfather died, leaving behind 9 children and a pregnant wife. Family lore says she literally worked herself to death, and the children were farmed out to various relatives. But that doesn't mean she was abused. Just that she was dealt a really bad hand.
If you want to focus on the good stuff, then it boils down to advances in medicine, crop production, and transportation.
I'd add communication.
I am thankful for the inoculation movement that started in the 18th century. Without it, we would be farther behind in medical research and vaccine development. So thanks to those who chose to pursue that beginning research. 🙏
Yes to vaccinations making our lives better! All hail Jonas Salk!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter