What are peoples preference.. Checking bags or carryon?

Always checked, unless overnight trip.

Wish airlines would eliminate carry-ons other than personal item.

Lot more on time flights and quicker boarding if we didn't have to wait for all those people trying to cram oversized, over stuffed bags in the overheards.

When the airlines stop charging me for my bags I will stop bringing them onboard. If they want to charge me then raise my ticket price $25 but don't nickel & dime me when I can't even get a snack or pillow anymore.

Check, as a solo adult with kids I carry on only what we need for the flight, valuables and 24 hours of necessities in case the bags get lost.

I fly SWA as they allow 2 checked bags per person (although we only check one per person) and use DME because I LOVE the luggage delivery service.

On non Disney vacation and on the the way home its a short wait for the bags, each kid takes their rolling suitcase and backpack and we are on our way.

we always check bags and one person picks up the rental while the other picks up the bags and we meet up out front. Works every time.

we always check bags and one person picks up the rental while the other picks up the bags and we meet up out front. Works every time.

I can't get DH to be this efficient, but I have more recently managed to talk him into checking in for the car, but he always wants to meet back up at baggage claim. I've offered to schlep to the garage, but he doesn't want to be that split up.

I completely agree, there are size limits to carry ons, I wish the airlines would enforce that too.

I can't get DH to be this efficient, but I have more recently managed to talk him into checking in for the car, but he always wants to meet back up at baggage claim. I've offered to schlep to the garage, but he doesn't want to be that split up.

We both have cell phones so hes not to freaked out about loosing me. At least I think hes not lol.

I check bags and use a carry-on. It is always advisable to carry-on with you anything valuable, like your Disney pins.:thumbsup2Plus any prescription medications you need. Never check those! I also usually have a change of clothes in my carry-on, just in case the airline misdirects my checked bag.

The airlines really do need to do something about those monster sized bags some people are bringing on the planes. I don't know why they don't start telling people that if it doesn't fit in the overhead compartment per their guidelines, that they will have to pay the checked bag fee. They have to be loosing a ton of money on them.

In the past, I would typically carry on for solo trips, but check for trips with the rest of my family. My thinking was that I'm perfectly fine navigating the airport with a bag, but when I have to corral my family, I'd rather have one less thing to worry about.

Recently, I've started checking more often, unless I'm just doing a few nights and can fit in my small soft-sided bag. I'd rather not deal with the "fight for overhead space" game. Instead of trying to jockey onto the plane early within my boarding zone, I can spend a little extra time in the SkyClub, and just wander on 25 minutes before takeoff. What's more, now that fewer people are checking luggage, my bags seem to be on the carousel within just a few minutes of my arrival in baggage claim----and half the time, they are already there---so there isn't the delay there once was.

It helps that my Delta AmEx gives me one free bag per person, but even without that, well, you can spend money for convenience, or you can spend effort to avoid spending money. Where you fall on that question really depends on your tolerance for inconvenience and how much the bag fees hurt. When I'm on vacation, I have a *very* low tolerance for inconvenience. I'll regain status on my next flight (I lost it last year), and with early boarding might go back to carrying on for solo trips.

It helps that my Delta AmEx gives me one free bag per person, but even without that, well, you can spend money for convenience, or you can spend effort to avoid spending money. Where you fall on that question really depends on your tolerance for inconvenience and how much the bag fees hurt. When I'm on vacation, I have a *very* low tolerance for inconvenience. I'll regain status on my next flight (I lost it last year), and with early boarding might go back to carrying on for solo trips.

I couldn't agree more! $25 is a small price to pay for the convenience of not schlepping my bag through the airport!

I carefully measured our luggage & our 2 small pieces are under the carry on limit so we're going to take those as carry on. These pieces are on rollers so it's not that much trouble pulling them in the airport & we're flying nonstop. We haven't flown in 2 years so I hope we won't find there to not be any room overhead!

It seems more often than not on flights I've been on lately one or more carry-on needed to be gate checked because the overhead bins were all full. Even in those cases of course most people were still able to use the bins (excluding regional jet flights where there has always been a high percentage of gate-checked bags).

There's no charge (that I've seen) for gate checked luggage (assuming it's not over-size), but if you're bringing meds or other fragile/valuable stuff you may want to keep that in a separate bag that will fit under the seat so you aren't forced to part with it if the bins are full when you board.

I used to check 4 or 5 bags before fees. Now I check 3 and do laundry. We carry on one backpack per child (3) and my husband (1). I bring the suitcase that fits in the overhead with meds, cameras, personal items, etc. That is it for the carry ons. We usually have 7 to 10 night stays. I have seen too many people carry on too many items and have to check their bag that was brought on the plane due to limited overhead space. I keep the must haves with me and pay for the rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter