What about this option?

lola4795

Mouseketeer
Our 10 year old is a very light eater. Is it possible to avoid buying the DDP by not buying the DDP for a single adult in a connecting room? If this has been asked/answered before, I apologize. I'm also not trying to start another fuss over dining plan options, so please don't flame me or treat me like I'm a world class cheater! :crazy:

We will be traveling with our 2 kids, ages 7 & 10 and my mother. The 7 year old is totally within the description of what the child credits offer. We feel the plan will be great for him. The 10 year old will qualify for adult credits. He often eats less than his 7 year old brother. I can't justify spending almost $40 per day on food for him!

Since we are travelling with my mom, we will be getting 2 separate, but adjoining or connected rooms at ASMo. Can my mom, being in a separate room, not get the dining plan? If we could, we would skip it for our 10 year old, but that's not an option.

If we take off the DP for my mom, could she then have the 10 year old's DP and he can just order kids meals OOP? Or can we order him nothing and have him eat our appetizers, etc.?

Like I said, I'm not trying to get the most out of the DDP, but a trip to Disney is a rare thing for our family and we need to make the most of our money!

Thanks!

I doubt if you'd have a problem with your mom using your 10 yr olds credits.

But if you really don't want the DDP for either your mom or your son, why don't you just make two separate reservations? One room for you, your spouse and 7 yr. old on the dining plan, and a second room for your mom and 10 yr old without the dining plan. You could still request adjoining or connecting rooms, I think, and your son could still sleep in your room--he'd just be in your mom's room on paper.

Actually, I just don't want it for my son. So if we book a separate room (we will do this either way), then we can pass on the DDP for mom. We would then give our 10 year old's credits to my mom.

Does this make sense?

lola4795 said:
Actually, I just don't want it for my son. So if we book a separate room (we will do this either way), then we can pass on the DDP for mom. We would then give our 10 year old's credits to my mom.

Does this make sense?

Makes sense to me and sounds like it would work fine. Just make sure that they have the 10 year old listed in your room. :thumbsup2

You might have to make two separate reservations though. I'm not sure if you can book two rooms under one package and have one room with DDP and one without. Anybody know?

momtotwinglesx4 said:
You might have to make two separate reservations though.

That would make sense. Our trip isn't until January, so I'm sure my TA can change it still at this point!

What you will have to watch out for though...

You will have 2 separate ressies. Mom won't have dining plan. Your entire family will. It should be fine, no problem. But when you are in the restaraunt be sure to explain that there is one person not on the DP and it will be paid OOP. Because they could easily try to charge all the credits without any OOP(if they don't read the card and see the number of people). Also make sure that you are charged OOP for the extra kids meal. There is nothing wrong with doing that, especially since it is an adult credit on the plan being deducted. But a CM could easily make a mistake and charge OOP for the adult meal and charge the DDP for the kids meal. You just have to make sure you explain it to the CM and watch your bill carefully.

I don't think you'll be allowed to do that. Sent you a PM to explain why.

You'd have to split you reservation, everyone on the reservation must purchase dining. I'm not sure you'll be able to get connecting rooms with split reservation. You might be able to request it but preference will probably go to famlies with fewer adults than rooms on one reservation.

You might not even be able to get adjoining rooms.

The meal plan might not be a bad deal for you child. Where are you planning on eating? You'll have to pay adult pricing at character meals, buffets and dinner shows.

I would think it could be done. :confused3 :teeth:

If you put both kids in your room you would have:
3 adult dining, 1 child.

If she is eating with you, use your card to pay for her meal (which is really the 10yr olds) and pay OOP for the 10yr old.

If they swapped cards the only problem I would see is that, that is also her room key/credit card info. linked on her card so if they swapped cards her room key wouldn't work and if they bought anything & charged it to the room that could get a little confusing.

lola4795 said:
Is it possible to avoid buying the DDP by not buying the DDP for a single adult in a connecting room? We will be traveling with our 2 kids, ages 7 & 10 and my mother. The 7 year old is totally within the description of what the child credits offer. We feel the plan will be great for him. The 10 year old will qualify for adult credits. He often eats less than his 7 year old brother. I can't justify spending almost $40 per day on food for him!

Since we are travelling with my mom, we will be getting 2 separate, but adjoining or connected rooms at ASMo. Can my mom, being in a separate room, not get the dining plan? If we could, we would skip it for our 10 year old, but that's not an option.

If we take off the DP for my mom, could she then have the 10 year old's DP and he can just order kids meals OOP? Or can we order him nothing and have him eat our appetizers, etc.?

Two issues.

One, is that Mom will always have to have her meals with a family member from your room, so that the family member's card can be used for the meal.

Two, when you eat at a buffet restaurant you will be charged for you son anyway so there won't be any savings!

If neither of the above is a problem, then you can absolutely pay OOP for any meals you want to buy your son, or if your restaurant is willing to let you share, he can eat from everyone elses plates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter