Westjet YVR to MCO through YYC - Any updates?

I have flown through YYC recently (beginning November) while it was -20 C, so winter weather, but not snow storm, during the hell day after the westjet outage, then back through. I was not going to US (canada-canada), but did have a lot of running to do.

YYC Link shuttle between the terminals is good if it is there, or if you are at A and need to get to D/E. But if you are a decent walker, it is about a 15min walk (with moving walkways). My strategy was looking when I was by the Link terminals if one was coming. If it was, I got on. If not, keep walking. (Side note: I did a C to just before A run on my first flight due to delays. Literally 2 of us sprinted through the terminal, took us about 3min at a run with luggage.

The big issue with Canadian airports right now is staffing for security. So this can be very variable. Best of luck to everyone.

For those of you saying "get nexus", the approximate backlog to get nexus currently is about 5 years.

Bumping this thread with our experiences from last week, in case it is useful for anyone.
TLDR: outbound to US from Canada, we had to leave & re-enter security in Calgary (don't buy water in departing airport!); inbound from US, keep both boarding passes when connecting via Calgary as you'll need them at customs, but we were able to stay airside.

The full report:
Our 6:00 am flight was delayed to 6:27 am (notification received at 5:48 pm on Thursday, flight was Friday). I was freaking out about the short connection, but we figured it would be okay as it was still over an hour. While we were in the air, we got a notification of the YYC-MCO flight being delayed by 30 minutes, which really helped me calm down.

At the Calgary airport, we came out of the plane, looked for signs for US connections / E gates, and the only option we could see was to go out doors that very clearly would take us out of security. So we went out, then had to quickly drink / toss out the water we bought at YVR (learn from my mistake, folks), go through security again (worst airport security experience we've had in a long time, too - grouchy, incomprehensible CATSA screeners, the process was a mess, even in the Nexus line - neither line was very long, but our experience certainly wasn't smooth), then go through US customs (super friendly US border guard, so we may have spent like 1 extra minute chatting). Then we were right near our gate, so we went and bought more water (boooo - but we were hydrating for our race) and it was a short wait until our flight was called (time for a bathroom break and maybe 10-15 min of waiting until boarding - we didn't even sit down).

On the way home, it was way easier as we could stay airside. The process was: disembark, look for the overhead signs saying "Connections", get into the customs hall. Things got a bit weird here: for some reason, the "rope" was across the Nexus lineup, but there was an attendant there. My husband started down the non-Nexus line (just following the open lines and not noticing the overhead Nexus sign on the closed lane - he thought the split was later I guess) but I had noticed, so went back and asked, and she opened it for us (without looking at our cards, just asked if we both had them). It just seemed a bit weirdly hidden / subtle. We used the nexus machines and then had to go to an CBSA agent, then had to go into a common line with everyone else to have our inbound and onward boarding cards checked, then handed our nexus receipt to the final CBSA agent.

We had plenty of time to walk to our next gate, use the washroom, etc (but could have taken the Link bus). We were coming from the front of the plane, though, and had the Nexus line, so I don't know how it would have been without those factors. I suspect there would have been plenty of time, without needing to re-screen.

They warned us on the westjet plane from MCO - YYC that we would need both boarding cards when connecting, but it was a bit of a schmozzle in that particular line as people fumbled around for them (on devices or paper).

One thing I found very annoying was that the Calgary airport website has removed the pages about connections that the major airlines had linked to. I think I will be contacting them next week.

I would not voluntarily connect through Calgary again (at least on way to the US), so likely will look at Seattle options if there are no direct Vancouver flights. I'm feeling a bit concerned because my in-laws are connecting through Calgary to get to their cruise next month, and they don't have nexus and haven't travelled in a long time (and also have a short connection)... Will let my husband give them the scoop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter