WestJet World Elite MasterCard Cost Savings

I agree that you need to know you are going to be flying somewhere fairly pricey every year for there to be the real value we have experienced. We always fly from Calgary to Halifax once a year in the summer and we book non stop routes - this can lead to a ticket price per person of around $800, as you don't often get good sales for weekend to weekend travel that time of year. This card allows us to be able to pick the flights we want and know that we are saving a lot with those companion passes. Recently we had to make a last minute trip back east and that companion voucher saved me just over $1000 for one trip!

I find it interesting that everyone is talking about "real"value and that flights have to be expensive, etc. For our yearly travelling habits, even if we saved $10 over other options (taking hassle, etc out of the question), then that is a win. When our yearly vacation can cost upwards of $20k, we look for every opportunity to save any amount of money.

Sorry - not trying to be argumentative, just my perspective on the "value" of the cards.

I find it interesting that everyone is talking about "real"value and that flights have to be expensive, etc. For our yearly travelling habits, even if we saved $10 over other options (taking hassle, etc out of the question), then that is a win. When our yearly vacation can cost upwards of $20k, we look for every opportunity to save any amount of money.

Sorry - not trying to be argumentative, just my perspective on the "value" of the cards.

Sure, as long as you'll actually use it, and not spend more in the process.

If someone has this card sitting in their desk and only uses the companion fare every other year, or is tempted to buy a WestJet ticket in preference to a less expensive but equally suitable flight on another airline just so they can make use of the companion fare, it could end up costing money. And if they're not paying attention, they might not even notice.

Here's an example:

Last October I booked tickets to Orlando using my companion voucher. The tickets were expensive, way more than I would usually pay, but the companion voucher was set to expire and I reasoned that I was saving several hundred dollars by using it, so that brought the bill down into the realm of somewhat reasonable. A month or so later, the prices plummeted on a Black Friday sale, and we decided to come home a day later. I was able to change my itinerary and get the new price, but since the voucher had expired by then, it could no longer be applied to the modified booking. I saved a bit of money anyway, even after change fees and the loss of the voucher, so I didn't have anything to complain about. But the voucher didn't save me a cent that year, and I might even argue that it cost me money in the end. If I hadn't been looking to use the voucher before it expired I would likely have waited to buy the tickets, and very well might have gotten the lower price to start with, without paying the change fees.

I'm not trying to be argumentative either. It's a great card, especially for those who do fly those more expensive itineraries. But I can definitely understand why not everyone sees the value. You did start the thread with "wow, look at all the money you could save!". And you're right! Yours is a great example of how to best use the card to save a huge amount of money, and no doubt lots of other families can similarly benefit. Even for someone like me, who mostly just saves on the bag fees, it's easily worthwhile. But I'm guessing that if you truly did only save a net $10 a year on a card that carries an annual fee of $120, you probably wouldn't have bothered posting. :)

Agreed - as I've mentioned earlier in the thread, you have to use the card that is best suited to your needs. It's not for everyone, that is for sure. I was more commenting on people saying the flights have to be expensive to see value. I personally think everything over net 0 is a win (assuming you cannot get better value from another card).

But I'm guessing that if you truly did only save a net $10 a year on a card that carries an annual fee of $120, you probably wouldn't have bothered posting.

I have included fees all along, so all of the savings I discuss assume that you have taken the fees into a account - but yes, $10 is not as excting as $600.

In the end, I think everyone has to do their own research and calculations and determine what options are best for them. Some people see value in lounge passes, others in baggage fees, etc. I'm a numbers guy, and like I said, any time it's positive in my direction, I am happy.

We have definitely seen value in the card and haven't even used the companion voucher or $250 westjet dollars yet. Got the card after our trips were booked, so couldn't use either of these yet. But 2 trips on westjet, which we always try to fly anyways. Four bags - one trip $100 there and $100 back. Same for the second trip. So far I have paid $120 for the card, but would have spend $400 on baggage.

We still have a companion voucher to use that will save some money, as well as the $250 westjet dollars. So far the card definitely makes sense for us!

We have the Alaska MC World Elite. They have the companion fare too. But I wish they added the free checked bag. The US Visa version does, but Canadian MC doesn’t. So unfair.
For us living on west coast Alaska has better flights. Hub is in Seattle, and they have direct flights to Florida from SeaTac. So I can either drive to SeaTac or fly from YVR and change planes. I really like that I go thru customs here, and not have to deal with getting luggage, going thru customs and re check luggage mid trip.

I just recently received my Westjet World Elite card. My westjet ID number is not on the card, I thought it was supposed to be since I put it in during the application process...so just wondering do they know that this card is attached to my account?

I just recently received my Westjet World Elite card. My westjet ID number is not on the card, I thought it was supposed to be since I put it in during the application process...so just wondering do they know that this card is attached to my account?
WestJet WE MasterCards don't have WestJet ID numbers on the cards. Not sure if it is different now with the new card design, but definitely they didn't have the number on the older cards.

WestJet WE MasterCards don't have WestJet ID numbers on the cards. Not sure if it is different now with the new card design, but definitely they didn't have the number on the older cards.

Mine does. It was reissued a few months ago.

SW

Can anyone tell me about purchasing or upgrading to their Premium Economy or Plus I think it is referred as. Either when purchasing tickets online or after they have been purchased online. My questions are 1.) Can you purchase Plus seats with West Jet miles/dollars online. 2.) If using the companion offer, how can I upgrade to Plus. 3.) Do I upgrade to Plus after I have already purchased online with West Jet dollars.
Thanks

Can anyone tell me about purchasing or upgrading to their Premium Economy or Plus I think it is referred as. Either when purchasing tickets online or after they have been purchased online. My questions are 1.) Can you purchase Plus seats with West Jet miles/dollars online. 2.) If using the companion offer, how can I upgrade to Plus. 3.) Do I upgrade to Plus after I have already purchased online with West Jet dollars.
Thanks

We use our companion fares for Plus all the time. If you buy a Plus seat, the companion seat is also a Plus automatically, for the same companion rate fare. And you can absolutely use WJ$ for the full price fare at the same time you redeem your companion fare voucher.

We also have upgraded regular seats to Plus at checkin, including when one had been bought as the companion fare. They're treated the same as any other upgrade, and whatever the upgrade screen shows as the price to upgrade, that's what you pay, no matter how you originally paid for the ticket. And, according to DH, when you upgrade, if you've paid extra for exit row, they refund that.

We've never to my knowledge bought a full price and a companion fare in regular, then upgraded to Plus prior to checkin, so I don't know how that would work. I wouldn't specifically set out to do that, however, since if you get Plus right from the start you don't pay any extra for that companion seat over what you'd pay for a regular one.

We always call, so I'm not sure how you'd do any of this online...sorry.

We use our companion fares for Plus all the time. If you buy a Plus seat, the companion seat is also a Plus automatically, for the same companion rate fare. And you can absolutely use WJ$ for the full price fare at the same time you redeem your companion fare voucher.

We also have upgraded regular seats to Plus at checkin, including when one had been bought as the companion fare. They're treated the same as any other upgrade, and whatever the upgrade screen shows as the price to upgrade, that's what you pay, no matter how you originally paid for the ticket. And, according to DH, when you upgrade, if you've paid extra for exit row, they refund that.

We've never to my knowledge bought a full price and a companion fare in regular, then upgraded to Plus prior to checkin, so I don't know how that would work. I wouldn't specifically set out to do that, however, since if you get Plus right from the start you don't pay any extra for that companion seat over what you'd pay for a regular one.

We always call, so I'm not sure how you'd do any of this online...sorry.

That is excellent. Thank you. This all sounds very flexible. We have quite a few Aeroplan points so we have been lucky enough to fly Business for the last number of years and would want to do the same with West Jet dollars. Just need to compare the Plus fare prices now to our costs using Aeroplan. 2 Aeroplan return seats in Business Class to Orlando is 100,000 points which takes $80,000. in spending at a 1.25 earn rate (Amex). Just need to determine how much spending it takes to purchase 2 Plus seats return from Toronto to Orlando. We fly 5 times a year so we would still need to purchase 4 return flights beyond the companion fare deal.

We just booked our first flights to MCO after getting our WJ Mastercard. With the $250 WJ dollars added to my account, plus the companion fare, we came out about $400 ahead than we would have booking on another airline. In saying that, without the $250 WJ dollars, it wouldn't have been as significant and another poster did add,WJ flights seem to be more expensive in general unless you grab a sale.
I do like that I do not have to use the WJ card when paying. I booked using the dollars and companion fare, and then used another rewards card to pay the difference.

I just got the card this year and will see if it is worthwhile over the next couple of years. The problem for us is that WJ only has direct flights to Orlando over the winter months, and even then, the flight lands very late at night. So we either have to take a connecting flight to get into MCO at a decent time, or I can drive to Detroit, cross the border by land which is always a breeze, and get a cheap flight with Delta which is probably no more expensive than WJ with the companion fare, or often even cheaper than WJ. In the winter, I would rather not drive to Detroit, but without the threat of a snowstorm, I don't mind it at all.

And BTW, my card does have my WJ # on it.

Just a note that Westjet can and will drop its affiliation with any credit card at minimal notice. A few years ago, I had the BMO Westjet points travel card & it was a great perk. After 2 years or so, Westjet exited and BMO subbed air miles. No where near the same benefit. I'm all for credit card points and perks where they give you an immediate, in hand result. OP's example works well. However, considering you are carrying annual fees for many of these cards, make sure to diarize when your annual fee is due and re-evaluate your loyalty card's performance every year before you are automatically tagged with that fee so you are not stuck with paying for a lower grade perks program that is not what you contracted for. FYI from past experience.

We use our World Elite MC to earn airmiles - we put everything on this card! Then I book WJ flights with the airmiles so I can use my WJ card to get my luggage for free. It only takes one trip with 2 bags ($25/bag/direction) and the WJ card is paid for. Then we use the companion pass for one trip in the year.

Just a note that Westjet can and will drop its affiliation with any credit card at minimal notice. A few years ago, I had the BMO Westjet points travel card & it was a great perk. After 2 years or so, Westjet exited and BMO subbed air miles. No where near the same benefit. I'm all for credit card points and perks where they give you an immediate, in hand result. OP's example works well. However, considering you are carrying annual fees for many of these cards, make sure to diarize when your annual fee is due and re-evaluate your loyalty card's performance every year before you are automatically tagged with that fee so you are not stuck with paying for a lower grade perks program that is not what you contracted for. FYI from past experience.

That’s why we have to check and switch credit card regularly. Canadian Tire used to have a MasterCard that pays back 5% on every purchase. Oh man it was so easy to earn over $2000 casback in less than one year with that card. Needless to say they canceled it after a while.

Big trips we often fly into one airport and out a different one, can't do that either. Not too many options for flying in Europe.

Last summer we flew YHZ-LHR DUB-YHZ on WJ$ and our companion vouchers. We had to call to book the open jaw, but we did it. This year we used the companion vouchers for YHZ-MCO. Next year we hope to use them for Paris.

I also just got the Scotia Passport visa for the no-forex. It's a good card too, though, so may be putting less on the WJ MC. But the companion vouchers have so far made the annual fee worth it, even if I don't get as many WJ$ this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!