Western Magic 10/21/06 - 10/28/06 Trip Updated 6/21 Chapter 17: the final chapter!

Love the t-shirts. I'm also a scrapbooker who makes shirts...although I didn't for this trip. The clearance shirts for 75% off at disneydirect were too good to pass up!!

I'm enjoying your report. Can't wait to read the rest.

DW here--I know I should get my own login name, so maybe soon! :cool1: I just wanted to respond to the tshirt questions. For the back of the shirt, I used a scrapbook sticker from my previous cruise and scanned it into my computer, then printed it out on iron-on transfer paper and ironed it on to each shirt. Note to everyone, make sure you reverse your wording so that it is backwards. Went through 4 shirts before I realized that I hadn't done that :confused3 For the front of the shirts, I just found clipart from the internet and did the same thing as I did on the back. Very easy and inexpensive (esp. if you get the transfer paper on sale...reg price is about $10 - $12 for 10 sheets for a light color shirt).

For the rolling cooler, it was a good size, enough to hold a case of beer, bottles of alcohol, etc. It fit the dimensions to be considered a carryon for the airlines (although we did not carry it on). It was great to have...our cabin attendant filled it with ice every night so everything stayed cold! We will be bringing that with us on every future cruise we take! :thumbsup2

DisneyZell said:
DW here--I know I should get my own login name, so maybe soon! :cool1: I just wanted to respond to the tshirt questions. For the back of the shirt, I used a scrapbook sticker from my previous cruise and scanned it into my computer, then printed it out on iron-on transfer paper and ironed it on to each shirt. Note to everyone, make sure you reverse your wording so that it is backwards. Went through 4 shirts before I realized that I hadn't done that :confused3 For the front of the shirts, I just found clipart from the internet and did the same thing as I did on the back. Very easy and inexpensive (esp. if you get the transfer paper on sale...reg price is about $10 - $12 for 10 sheets for a light color shirt).

For the rolling cooler, it was a good size, enough to hold a case of beer, bottles of alcohol, etc. It fit the dimensions to be considered a carryon for the airlines (although we did not carry it on). It was great to have...our cabin attendant filled it with ice every night so everything stayed cold! We will be bringing that with us on every future cruise we take! :thumbsup2

Ok, that sounds easy enough, I think even I could do that! :)

Where did you keep the cooler when in the room? there isn't much extra space, especially with three in the room. I am glad to hear you can get that on and that the room steward would keep ice in it. Last time we forked out $35 for water bottles, and I would rather stop at the grocery on the way to the port...this way I can add a bottle of wine or two as well. :rolleyes1

Thank you for the info on both!
Lisa

jsfein said:
Just started reading your report ... its really good and you're not even on the ship yet. I just started mine and hope to knock it out quick before I forget what we did.

A quick question for you or anyone else in the know. How do you quote more than one upthread post when you post your response to multiple posts? I haven't figured that one out. TIA.

It's pretty easy. The best way is to start by clicking on the "Quote" button which will do the first one for you (and show you how to do it). Just copy how it shows on the screen. Basically:

{QUOTE=screenname} whatever it is they said (you can cut and paste this part) followed by {/QUOTE]

note that you have to replace the { with [ brackets (I can't put it in there or it will just put this whole thing in a box...which wouldn't work). Try it, and remember that preview is your friend. Hit preview, then scroll down you will see the box where you can correct your mistakes (not that I ever make any). :banana:

lindaso said:
Love the t-shirts. I'm also a scrapbooker who makes shirts...although I didn't for this trip. The clearance shirts for 75% off at disneydirect were too good to pass up!!

I'm enjoying your report. Can't wait to read the rest.

I believe the T-shirts we got were cheap as well...so it all worked out in the end. The only disadvantage to the white t-shirt was that...well, we have a 4 year old. And Napkin is not in his vocabulary. And there is DS7, who decided to pick his entire over-easy egg up with his fork...promptly dropping it on his brand new....very white shirt. Beatiful.

MickeyD said:
Ok, that sounds easy enough, I think even I could do that!

Where did you keep the cooler when in the room? there isn't much extra space, especially with three in the room. I am glad to hear you can get that on and that the room steward would keep ice in it. Last time we forked out $35 for water bottles, and I would rather stop at the grocery on the way to the port...this way I can add a bottle of wine or two as well.

We alternated between the balcony and the SHUB (Shower/Tub, again a stolen term which I will use freely). The SHUB worked best though because it was convenient and the ice melted more slowly. I think our room steward didn't like keeping it on the balcony 'cause she had to fill it more often. :rotfl2:

I might get another episode in tomorrow, we shall see. I figure I at least owe you guys to make it onto the ship itself. Heck you never know...maybe we never actually cruised!!! :mickeyjum

:thumbsup2 Love it! Especially the shirts - they're great. I plan on making DD one for her birthday next year, which we celebrate on the cruise. :teeth: I'm a big time digital scrapbooking freak!

Ok, first I have to say that that bed bugs gave me the hibbee jibbees. I am not sure if I could have slept in that hotel after that.

We surprised our girls back in April, we also had the delayed reaction. There I was just like your DW with the video camera. They just had blank looks on their faces. I expected jumping around and screaming. Nope we did not get that. It took about 30 minutes to soak in. Then they were giggling.

Just curious, since DW's were second in line, what time were you on the ship?

Lastly, Yes DK (Disney kids) are just adorable!!!!!

Sorry off topic but don't you think it would be nice to have a Post Cruise Meet Forum?

curlybop said:
:thumbsup2 Love it! Especially the shirts - they're great. I plan on making DD one for her birthday next year, which we celebrate on the cruise. :teeth: I'm a big time digital scrapbooking freak!

yes, the shirts were very cool. even DNH ended up wearing his, though there was a time that we didn't think he would do that!!!

DW doesn't do digital scrabooking, she does the old fashioned kind with paper and scissors. pretty amazing stuff!

FatherForce said:
Long?

In perspective to my posts, that was post it note.

Keep it up!

huh. I think I'd like to take alook at your desk sometime...you have some serious office supply issues if your post-it notes are that long. scary!

Our2Girls&Disney said:
Ok, first I have to say that that bed bugs gave me the hibbee jibbees. I am not sure if I could have slept in that hotel after that.

We surprised our girls back in April, we also had the delayed reaction. There I was just like your DW with the video camera. They just had blank looks on their faces. I expected jumping around and screaming. Nope we did not get that. It took about 30 minutes to soak in. Then they were giggling.

Just curious, since DW's were second in line, what time were you on the ship?

Lastly, Yes DK (Disney kids) are just adorable!!!!!

I know! disgusting! like I said in the TR...we would have been out of there and down the street to the Residence Inn faster than you could say "Disney Magic". but they did get a free room, and that makes up for it? :confused3

As far as when we boarded...you will have to wait for the next installment!!! no peeking!

And thank you for the comments. Good thing I have cute kids...no one looks at me! :rotfl2:

Hank56 said:
Sorry off topic but don't you think it would be nice to have a Post Cruise Meet Forum?

Not sure, but I'd expect you could use the same thread you used for pre-cruise. If people know that will be continuing, they will jump on I'm sure!

Now, no more responding, time to start drafting the next chapter...

thank you all for reading! :wave:

DisneyZell said:
When I last left you (which, *ahem* was about, oh, an hour ago. Take that Sleepydog!)
Oh, hardee, har, har. . .now that I'm about finished with my TR--okay, closer to being finished--I shall have to scrutinize yours. . .and comment on your timeliness or lack thereof. :teeth: So, good job so far!:thumbsup2 Now, let's hear more. . .

Chapter 6: Getting on the ship, to eat or not to eat and where to eat it...

As this was our Second Disney Cruise, I remembered well what the terminal looked like, but it was still a fun sight as we made our way up the escalators. DNH and his children had not seen it, so there were some general oooh's and aaaah as we walked up.

OK, so I must digress a bit here. I know everyone loves the terminal. It's so pretty, you get to take pictures with the characters...there are cartoons on the TV. I'm not a party pooper in general (huh...don't party poopers always say that?), but it's boring. I hate waiting. HATE IT. So even though it's nicely decorated, I had to sit for a time and wait, and that stinks. OK. so I arrived at 11:30, imagine how I would have felt getting there at 8:30 because my DH made me! ooops!

Anyway, back to the story. The wives had staked out a spot and we went and plopped everything down. We recieved confirmation that we didn't get an upgrade (boohoo), and DNH even went so far as looking his wife in the eye and having her swear (there is some religion involved here, but I never understood it).

Everyone went off to get pictures with Goofy while I hung out with the luggage (had to protect my beer!). Here is the result:

allkidsinterminal.jpg

Left to right: DS7 (Mine, Nick), DS4 (Mine, Connor), DD6(Neighbors, Kathryn), and DS9 (Neighbors, Chris).

I chatted with some nice people who had yanked their son out of football and made him miss a pee-wee playoff game. How mean. Oh, did I mention that my son missed his last pee-wee football game to go on the cruise? I didn't. oh. nevermind.

Once the kids were done taking a picture with Goofy they watched cartoons (maybe there are some positive things to the terminal) until....wait for it!!

"Now boarding group #1!"

Someone asked the question...and yes this was very, very close to noon. probably not exactly at noon, and I didn't look at my watch, but know it was around then.

That's us! Panick! get everything together! rush toward the big hole in the wall (and yes I love the fact that it is made up to be a Mickey Head). We rush forward to go onboard.

Another digression: Two years ago we had to stand in line to wait to board. So for this I give Disney big props. Note my rant earlier about being bored, that was much worse as I was the only one in line for quite some time as people squished around me and I tried my best to maintain enough room for 8 people. So I guess I shouldn't complain. but then again, if I don't complain this story would be even more boring!

So anyway, remember that we are holding the #1 card. Very exciting except that we are imposters. It's kind of like the first time I ever got upgraded to first class. I expected Mickey Mouse to come out and grab me by the arm, "Excuse me, Sir, you don't belong up here with the really cool people". but remarkably he didn't. We presented our KTTW cards and the let us go on. Suckers!

Naturally we needed that exciting boarding picture...and we ended up buying one of our whole group:

DCallgettingonship.jpg

OK, so now you get introductions. Left to right, Top row: DNW (Kim), DNH (Mike), Me (Andrew), DW (Deanna). You already met the kids. Don't be lazy, scroll up and take another look.

We had our neighbors go first to do the introductions...that was very cool. I think at this point I had the video camera going to that I would get our introductions on video. For many years I made fun of people like me. Why would you video tape yourself getting onto a boat. how silly.

Well, let me take you back to our first DCL adventure. We took pictures...tons and tons of pictures. I'm one of those geeks that has video editing software and really enjoys making videos. So I put all those pictures in, added music, some witty sayings etc. It's a pretty cool video (if I do say so myself). By the way, I have self esteem issues, can't you tell? The whole time I did it, and then watched it I said "Self, there is one thing missing here...video." while the pictures were cool, there is something about mixing in video. so, while I don't think I went overboard, this time I was determined to have some fine, high quality, video to bore the neighbors with. Oh wait! the neighbors were with us! We can bore each other!

We were instructed to go to Parrot Cay for lunch...yeah right. I'm too smart for that, I have been reading DIS boards for years. So we ignored that and headed to do the important things. We went and got our Galley Tour tickets, DW and DNW went and added our neighbors to our Brunch reservation for Palos, then we all headed upstairs to Topsiders for lunch.

The buffet was laid out and had a ton of food, which I enjoyed thoroughly. They had a Taco station. That was cool, and they even have someone load up the taco for you. Let the service begin. We grabbed our trays and took them outside.

Now, since we were like the 2nd and 3rd family on board we got to pick and choose our tables. That in and of itself makes it worth getting to the terminal early (even if you have to Wait!). So we split up a bit, a table near the railing and one in the shade and we all enjoyed our lunch. We were all immediately struck by the number of crew. They were always around, picking up anything you spilled (not that we...ahem...spilled anything), and picking up your tray when you were done. It was incredible, and everyone was so nice right off the bat.

The kids finished first and they had some time to kill...check this out:

P1010042.jpg

Yes, that's Nick and Chris doing homework. Wow.

We finally finished, went and changed into our swimsuits, found a spot to plop down all of our stuff in front of the Mickey Pool and relaxed a bit. The kids jumped in immediately and the rather large, hand held waterslide was a big hit.

P1010046.jpg
Connor slipping and sliding down the waterslide

And of course the Pool. Nick and Chris did not stay in the Mickey Pool long after they figured out there was another, larger one around the corner. At the Goofy Pool was even almost safe as there were not many kids in it. It is only later in the trip that it becomes a death trap.

P1010050.jpg
Nick and Chris get their groove on in the Goofy pool

I decide that it is time for a Beer for DNH and I :drinking1 (the Beer in our coolers just isn't cold yet as we don't have any ice!), so I saunter up to the bar. I order two beers (Corona for him, and something else for me. I honestly don't remember what, and realize now that frankly you probably don't care). I hand over my KTTW card and am asked what appears to be a simple question:

"What stateroom are you in, sir"

Huh. No idea I say. 6 something, but I really don't know. He makes some noises about needing it, and plays with the touch screen thingy for a while...makes some more noises about thinking my room isn't on 6...which I ignore cause I really don't know where my room is. He finally gives me my beer, has me sign my life away and I go away happy, if not a bit confused (a normal state for me anyway).

I hand the beer to DNH and we toast to ourselves (why not) and drink away. Vacation has finally begun!!!

note: there will not be alot of drunken stories here. We just aren't huge drinkers. If, however, you want drunken stories...feel free to venture over to either of the following TR's:

Sleepydog25's trip report

FatherForce's Trip Report

Please read mine first because it's not nearly as funny...and will seem even less so after spending 15 minutes with these guys.

Their reports will also make frequent reference to things that adults do on occassion when they are not squeezed into a walk-in closet with two children. Not sure what those things are because they just don't come out and tell us...but I'm sure you can figure it out. :love2:

About 1:30 DW swings by to suggest that she go and put the door signs on our doors (we made door signs for our neighbors as a surprise). So she heads down and a few minutes later is back. We corral everyone and head to our rooms. We get on the elevator (remember we have our coolers, and stuff, and I'm not ready to climb stairs yet). DW pushes 8. :confused3 I thought we were on 6. oh well.

We make our way to the rooms...and lo and behold, we got an upgrade :cheer2: . Our wives thought it would be fun to surprise us, and of course it was. pixiedust: No, we weren't in a Cat 3 room, but we did move to a Cat 4, the family stateroom with a balcony. On top of that, the rooms were connected, so we were able to open the ajoining rooms and have more space. This turned out really nice for us. But remember the swearing between our neighbors...don't know how that will turn out...but some rule was broken!!! :rotfl2:

P1010109.jpg
Our door as decorated.

P1010110.jpg
Our Neighbor's door as decorated

****WARNING***SUGGESTION FOR DCL COMING****WARNING*****
ok, so I saw it on other ships, and wanted to make suggestions to DCL just in case the mysterious possibility of another ship already being built, or if not and Disney starts building one this would be nice. When you have adjoining Balcony rooms, make the Balcony so that you can swing open a dor on the Balcony so that you have a large space to hang out. This would have added so much to our vacation and would have ended up with a huge space outdoors. But I digress. :rotfl:

The room was nice. A bit like living in a oversized walk-in closet :crowded:, but we knew we wouldn't spend too much time there, so we weren't concerned.

We remembered the All-hands on deck cheese platter from the last time we were on board, and figured this was a good time to get started on room service. To be honest, though, we didn't order room service that often on this cruise...just didn't have much time to be hungry. As someone else in another trip report said...it's ironic that when room service costs nothing...you don't use it very often.

We didn't have any luggage yet (bummer), and 4:00 came around...time for that ever so exciting lifeboat drill. The last time our muster station (I think that's what it's called) was out on deck. Boy did we hit the lottery on this cruise. Ours was in Animators Palate. Air Conditioned, comfy seats...that was the life. If you have to wear bright orange vests...why not do it like this? Here is what we all looked like...

P1010062.jpg
This is clearly my style. Note the cute brace for my finger. I managed to break it the week before the cruise...so apparently Connor isn't the only injury prone person (see earlier installments for those pictures).

P1010064.jpg
DW. Isn't she cute???

P1010065.jpg
DNW. DNH didn't make this report because his picture was too dark and I was feeling lazy.

P1010068.jpg
Connor's head kept heading toward the table at various times. Remember we had stayed up late to go to MNSSHP, and got up early to get on the boat...he was wiped out. However we figured this was a good time for him to nap. Something tells me that he wouldn't have learned much anyway. Note that he doesn't have a lifejacket on...they didn't have any children sized life vests in our stateroom...go figure!

Next up: Chapter 7: Where the &#*$#@ is our luggage and introduction to our server and assistant server

DisneyZell said:
note: there will not be alot of drunken stories here. We just aren't huge drinkers. If, however, you want drunken stories...feel free to venture over to either of the following TR's:

Sleepydog25's trip report

FatherForce's Trip Report

[

Hey now, I don't think our TRs are filled with DRUNKEN stories, are they?
I think its more drinkING stories.
There is a difference.
I went to a large state college, trust me.

:rotfl2:

Great report so far, btw

DisneyZell said:
Well, let me take you back to our first DCL adventure. We took pictures...tons and tons of pictures. I'm one of those geeks that has video editing software and really enjoys making videos. So I put all those pictures in, added music, some witty sayings etc. It's a pretty cool video (if I do say so myself). By the way, I have self esteem issues, can't you tell? The whole time I did it, and then watched it I said "Self, there is one thing missing here...video." while the pictures were cool, there is something about mixing in video. so, while I don't think I went overboard, this time I was determined to have some fine, high quality, video to bore the neighbors with. Oh wait! the neighbors were with us! We can bore each other!

Its fun reading your TR as you are about at the same point in your report as I'm in mine (except I got off the ship two weeks after you so you should be way ahead of me.) Curious as to whether you're using a Windows based video editing program? I need a new one and am looking for ideas.

FatherForce said:
There is a difference.

Great report so far, btw
One word. . .Showerbeer. . .

I dunno, DZ, sounds like you may be teetering on the edge of sobriety. I mean, you did buy something like a trunkful of beer and liquor, right? ;)

FatherForce said:
There is a difference.

Great report so far, btw

I stand corrected, and will make a public service announcement in my next installment. Whenever that is done. :rotfl2:

jsfein said:
Its fun reading your TR as you are about at the same point in your report as I'm in mine (except I got off the ship two weeks after you so you should be way ahead of me.) Curious as to whether you're using a Windows based video editing program? I need a new one and am looking for ideas.

Huh, your not hinting that perhaps I'm a tad slow in writing my TR...You have to remember that I am following the Zen Master known as Sleepydog...who believes that you must let the trip report age the proper amount of time before turning it loose.

in answer to your video editing question I use Pinnacle 9 (can't decide if I'm giong to upgrade to 10). It's a pretty good program though it does tend to crash alot. I am trying out a new one (Sony's Vegas), but haven't really played with it yet. if I ever finish this TR I can move on to doing our vacation on video!! :banana:

Sleepydog25 said:
I dunno, DZ, sounds like you may be teetering on the edge of sobriety. I mean, you did buy something like a trunkful of beer and liquor, right?

We definately did buy a ton of alcohol, let's just say you will find out what happens to that as we go along!

Also, pay attention because at some point I will introduce my own coined phrase (I can't steal all of them from other people like you) "Mickey Soda".

Thanks everyone for reading, I appreciate it!! I'll try to get another chapter in before Thanksgiving.

Right now the only issue I have is that I'm working on my christmas lights (yes, the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving). It's a 2 day endevour (if I can get a decent picture I'll post it), and this weekend is in the 50's, which in New England, in November, is unusual. I figure I might as well put them up while wearing shorts (like I did today), than wait until I have to wear a winter coat and gloves. Ever try crawling around on your roof in boots and gloves? not a good idea... :scared1:

DZ, by all means get those lights up while you have a chance. We will have to wait here in So. CA for the weather to cool down. It is going to be "at least 90 today" according to the very bad news bearers called weather men. We wouldn't want to get burned on the tile! :cool1:
Did I mention after 30 years here, I still hate CA. Why did I have to marry a California boy? Where is fall? Will it ever get below 70? Will I ever get to wear my Mickey/Minnie jacket? :sad2:
But I digress, get those lights up and bring us some more TR!! :hourglass :surfweb: I'll be waiting.

Madisonznana said:
DZ, by all means get those lights up while you have a chance. We will have to wait here in So. CA for the weather to cool down. It is going to be "at least 90 today" according to the very bad news bearers called weather men. We wouldn't want to get burned on the tile! :cool1:
Did I mention after 30 years here, I still hate CA. Why did I have to marry a California boy? Where is fall? Will it ever get below 70? Will I ever get to wear my Mickey/Minnie jacket? :sad2:
But I digress, get those lights up and bring us some more TR!! :hourglass :surfweb: I'll be waiting.

We moved from California 2.5 years ago...so we are new to the cold and snow (by the way, it has dropped 20 degrees from Saturday). DW would much rather have California weather, but the boys do enjoy the snow. For me, this time of the year I'm ready for it to snow. But I'm sure I'll be sick of it in the spring!

Hopefully a new episode tomorrow!!! :cheer2:

Chapter 7: Where the &#*$#@ is our luggage and introduction to our server and assistant server

So I realized that I left off a few things, which have some cool pictures to go with them, so I'm going to step brieftly (well, maybe not too brief) into the past of my story so I can make sure to include this.

Naturally when we boarded we had some time to wander the ship a bit. One of the things we wanted to do was hit the kids clubs so we could show the kids what they would be doing. Our kids like to climb stuff, do yours?

P1010054.jpg
Chris on the Aligator...

P1010053.jpg
Nick on the Aligator...and yes we were yelled at shortly after this (ok, yelled is a strong term) to not have our kids climb them. But we must take advantage of photo opportunities when presented with them.

P1010056.jpg
Nick in one of the Portholes in the lab...

P1010055.jpg
Chris in one of the Portholes in the lab...and yes we were yelled at shortly after this to not have them climb through those. You would think we would learn our lesson. apparently not! We were told that they are very lenient the first day, but then crack down after that. We figure they wait until the parents leave to yell at the kids, but we could never prove that! :rotfl2:

The final picture before I get back on track was of Connor. In 2004 when we sailed the first time he was too young to go into the clubs. We did Flounders a few times, but in general he was with us. I'm one of those strange people who likes to wander and take random pictures of my kids in various spots. So he and I did that alot. Here is Connor in 2004 on the floor between the two stores...

PA040110.jpg
Connor in 2004

As it's fun to compare and contrast, here is Connor on our trip in 2006 in that same spot.

P1010060.jpg
Connor in 2006

Pretty cool to see the size difference. At least for me. For you, it's probably another boring waste of your time, so I'll stop digressing. Back to the story.

After the lifeboat drill we headed back to our staterooms in hopes that we would have our luggage and could change (we had the early seating so wouldn't have alot of time before dinner).

No luggage. &$#*(@#&$. We also didn't have the boxes we had shipped ahead (both from us directly and our order of water and snacks from Staples popcorn:: ). Of course we switched rooms...so that is most likely why the luggage and packages weren't there, but that didn't matter to us. We did meet our Stateroom hostess, Suda Khongsamai. I don't remember where she was from, but this was her first cruise. She showed us around the room, asked about which beds to pull down (we were in the family stateroom where you can sleep 5, so we had 2 bunk options), and I hit her with the important thing that I needed...showing her the cooler I wanted her to know how important it was that Beer be cold. She smiled and wheeled the cooler (and our neighbors cooler) away to get ice in it. She was awesome the entire time and definately made the trip that much nicer.

We had hoped to unpack, settle in...but instead we headed to the sailaway party. I had remembered this as being very fun, and it was again. Everyone keeps referencing the CM's and how much energy they have and I agree 100%. They are bouncing around, singing, dancing...going crazy...I have no idea where they get the energy. I suppose that's why they are all skinny as rails. Either that or Disney just doesn't feed them??? :rotfl:

P1010071.jpg
Me and Connor at the sail away party

After being downstairs and dancing for a while we made our way up to deck 10 to watch us pull out. The horn blew...what a wonderful sound...and we waited. And Waited. and Waited. It seemed like forever, and we were on the port side so we could see that the ropes were still tied...we weren't going anywhere. No one notices that, of course, so they just keep on dancing.

FINALLY we pull out...and we get the hands waved at us. The big hands. I love the people that wave the bigs hands...it's just a nice sendoff.

P1010076.jpg
There really are people with big white hands waiving in this picture.

It was 5:20, time to go back to the room to grab our dinning tickets and head to dinner in our shorts. While this would probably be the only time we would be in shorts, I thought that was pretty cool, and in the future I think I will take advantage of the first night and not dress up. I might get flamed for that, but it was kind of fun to relax in casual clothes. Mind you, I dress up every other time, so I'm not one of THOSE.

We get back to the room and we have luggage! sweet luggage!! But no boxes. hurumph. It's 5:25...no time to change...so we drag the bags inside and head to dinner.

Now for our dining details. We had APL for dinner, so we had Animators Palate right off the bat. We had the early seating (5:30) which we liked sometimes, and didn't like others. We definately had to scramble for dinner each night to get ready, but it was also kind of nice to be in and out early and have some time before the show, etc. I actually liked it. Other members of our party didn't like it as much...but they can write a trip report and tell you about it :teeth:

Here are all of us together (this was actually the last night, but I had been unable to do a picture before this)

P1010289.jpg
Adrian is on the left and Alonso is on the right. If you don't know who the rest of us are, you haven't been paying attention to the TR.

Our Server: Adrian Doward from the UK (Ireland I believe)

This guy rocked. There is no other way to put it. He always had a smile for the kids (and generally a magic trick or two), and he genuinly seemed to enjoy the experience on the boat and serving us. His suggestions were "spot on" every night. I went downhill in the involvement of ordering my meals from the beginning. At first I ordered on my own, then went to asking about two things that looked good, then went to listening to his suggestions, and finally he no longer told me, he just wrote something down for me and brought it. For me it was the ultimate, I tried things that I would not have tried otherwise, which was a great experience. His taste was fabulous and I was always very pleased. He laughed at all of our jokes, and made us feel right at home. He quickly became someone we looked forward to being with in the evening. I think I have mentioned before that we plan to go again in 2008. We got Adrian's e-mail address to keep in touch and we will definately request him again. If you are going on a future cruise, request him and you will not regret it. Just be prepared to tip well...he is that good!!!

We also found out that he was engaged to be married this Spring...to someone on the ship! We thought that was very cool, and naturally he had us all waive to her (she was working the front desk when we were in Lumierre's (I'm pretty sure I butchered that name, but I'll get it right before we rotate there). Her name was Erika and I even embarrassed her by taking her picture...

P1010301.jpg
Isn't she cute. Hopefully at some point they will read our TR...Hi guys! :wave2: Good luck to you!! pixiedust:

Our Assistant Server: Alonso Russell Stewart

Alonso was also very good. It took him a day or so to figure out our drinks, but once he did we were in good shape. I drink Diet Coke almost as much as Sleepydog drinks his various froo-froo drinks :drinking1 ...so the first night I suggested to Alonso that he bring pitchers for our table (there are OTHER Diet Coke drinkers as well, not just me). While he didn't do that, he always brough 3-4 extras for me...and generally before I had finished the one before me I had another one. Who can ask for anything more? I wondered if he had a bet with anyone how many Diet Cokes I'd drink in one night...

Head Bozo (er, I mean head server): no idea

I should have his name, but don't. I blame this on DW. She was the keeper of facts (She wrote in a journal each night. This is a good thing as I can't remember things from one moment to the next), and for some reason his name didn't make it. At least not in the first few pages that I have re-read to remember what the heck we did. If it appears later I will make sure to mention it. He wasn't a bad guy, he appeared dutifully once each meal. My neighbor actually named him the Head Bozo. His philosophy was that he get's $1 tip each time he comes by. Since he came every day we gave him a bonus tip...and we almost screwed it up...but that is a story for another time. :lmao:

So, Animators Palate. As we had been on the cruise before we knew what was coming, but we still enjoyed it. I agree with another poster on this board that it's a bit overrated. Don't expect to be blown away, just expect a nice dinner in a cool atmosphere. I won't go into detail about what happens because I don't want to ruin it, but it is pretty cool.

DW had the bacon wrapped Filet, I had the Salmon, DS7 had a cheeseburger, and DW4 had chicken strips and a few mickey shapped ravioli. We all enjoyed our meals (I especially liked the Salmon). For desert: DS7 ordered the chocolate cake from the adult menu, DS4 ordered Chocolate Chip cookies (not on the menu, but Adrian managed to find them somewhere). This was funny because on the cruise 2 years ago DS4 (DS2 at that point :goodvibes ) only wanted Mickey ice cream with sprinkles. He was not even interested in that on this evening. Weird.

DW and I each had the Chocolate and Peanut Butter Pie. wow....don't miss this one if it's on the menu. Fabulous.

Before our deserts came the kids were bouncing off the walls wanting to go to the kids clubs, and they didn't want to go to the welcome aboard show. So DNH and I walked the kids up and dropped them off. Naturally this was not a quick process as they were still doing previews...so they had to be careful who they let in when, they had special nametags for the dropoff kids. I'll do a full review of my thinking on the kids clubs at the end of my TR.

DW and DNW went to the stores to check things out, DNH and I went to get a couple of beers and went to wait for the show. We were the first ones...which was pretty cool. I kept expecting someone to ask for my hall pass to allow me to drink my own alcohol on the ship, but no one did. The doors opened about 8:15 and we scooted down to the front row and saved seats for the wives (yes, saved seats! Against the law, but we will discuss that later in the TR).

The Welcome Aboard show was very cool...as all of the shows are. We really enjoyed the comedian (Magillian?). He was very good, and very entertaining. In fact we decided that we would go to the adult show that night.

After the show we went back to the stores. I've read in a couple of places where people complained about the store being slammed...I didn't really feel that way, while there were always people in the store I didn't feel like I was rubbing elbows too much with folks. However I do believe that the stores are like a big vacuum...it grabs your KTTW card and sucks the money right out of it. pretty amazing. DW bought a few things (scrapbook stuff) and we bought a Stitch frame (he is a huge fan of Stitch).

DS7 paged us and we decided we would grab all the kids and head back to the room. At this point DNH and I thought we would go by our old rooms and see if our stuff got delivered there. so we wandered down to Deck 6 and walked to the rooms we would have had. I didn't figure they would be there, but we knocked anyway, and had just caught them before they headed to dinner. They had opened one of the bags from Staples before they realized it wasn't for them (and they made a comment that they loved Tootsie Rolls). They were also travelling with their daughter who had gotten our other box...so he went and dragged her back from the elevator and we got our stuff. They were really nice, which we appreciated. We even bought them a bag of Tootsie Rolls in Key West and dropped them off at their door. If they are reading this...thank you!!! :cheer2:

Back in the rooms everyone opened the boxes. We had packed a bunch of really cool things (like glow wrist bands for pirate night, games, etc) in boxes for our kids as well as for the neighbors. Everyone had fun playing with ths stuff. We also recieved a gift from Dreams Unlimited. It was a cool frame in a neat keepsake box which we used to bring things home. This was completely unexpected, so that was great. Finally we got our Castaway Club gift which was also very cool.

We plopped the kids back in the clubs and went to the adults only version of the magician/comedian show. Let me just say...don't waste your time. It was ok...and there were a few sexual overtones...but in no way was I blown away.

P1010077.jpg
Our first of many Towel animals. I have no idea what it is. DW would know I'm sure. But there you go!

thanks for reading...hope you enjoyed the installment.

Next up: Chapter 8: Key West, Key Lime Pie on a stick!!!

Enjoying your report! It would really be fun to go with friends like that!

My DS was 2 on his last cruise and will be 4 when we go in 2008. So I loved the "growth" pictures!!

Will be looking forward to hearing if he liked the kids club!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter