• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Well, it's happening, can't get VWL or BCV at 7month window, and I own at both!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TeresaNJ said:
OMG, those are some very harsh words. Geez, I was only venting because I was mad at my own stupidity. I hope I didn't come across as bashing SSR because I'm not. I just wish I wanted to stay there as much as I like to stay at VWL, BCV or BWV.
I understand you're probably really maddest at yourself, but hopefully everything will work out. A few years ago (pre-SSR for those of you keeping track) I called at 11 months minus a few days (I can't believe I missed the exact window date) and I found out that the resort I couldn't book until 7 months was already full (thanks to the nice CM who checked "just out of curiosity). It didn't surprise me-this was for early December, a SV at BWV. Yet, when I called back at 7 months, it was available! So you never know what's gonna happen with "the resort shuffle". Also, I see you've never stayed at SSR. Well, once we got "stuck" at OKW because nothing else was available, so we (kind of) reluctantly stayed there. After one night, DH became an OKW lover, to the point where he won't stay anywhere else now. So who knows what the future holds. Besides, like someone said, it IS Disney!

Uh, I own at BW & I've been trying to get an October reservation there since the 8 month mark.... I'm on the waitlist... availability was in short supply before the seven month mark, so I'd not go blaming people for your planning dilemma.... just like I'm not blaming all the other BW owners for booking the weekend that I need.....

I figured BCV would be difficult if not impossible to book at the seven-month window in October, but I wouldn't have thought VWL would be totally unavailable then.

But I guess I'm partially to blame. I'll be in one of those VWL rooms during that time. :)

TeresaNJ said:
It's my own fault for not planning properly. I have two studios booked at the BCV for Oct 22-28, one for my daughter and her bf, and one for my sister and her friend, and one studio booked at VWL for the same time for my son and his gf. I need a two-bedroom also, but had to wait for the seventh month window for the points to be available to book at BCV as I was borrowing from VWL, but I stupidly did not book day by day. Now it isn't available at either resort, BUT OF COURSE I COULD ALWAYS BOOK AT SSR!!!!! I am really angry right now and I'm just venting. I told the castmember it must be all the SSR people booking at the 7month window, and she gave me some BS about how it's the F&W Festival, yada yada yada. Yea, I know, but this is the first time in five years that I've had a problem booking VWL or BCV at the 7month window. Oh well, live and learn.
I'm so sick of hearing about all "SSR people" gues what we're buying points and paying dues. At seven months we'll stay where we feel like staying. So either book early, sell you points and get out or learn to live with it.. Maybe we don't like all you other DVC's using our bus to get to DD. Sorry folks but I'm sick of all the whinners, Personally I would never stay at BW or BC to many snobs...

TeresaNJ said:
Also, half our party is split because that is how they wanted it. Some wanted to stay at VWL while others wanted to stay at BCV. It was purposely booked that way. :)

Edited myself... blood was boiling when I wrote it! Sorry SSR bashing got the best of me. Actually I sounded pretty dumb :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

lts862 said:
You have got to be kidding! :sad2:

Oh no! I am not kidding. (This was becasue I got a handicapped room and didn't think the world was coming to an end!)

I have a very good friend who won't post anymore because the one time she said SSR was not a good fit for her family it was HORRID. People called her names etc... This is a family that plans ahead and has a good number of points and is very helpful. She has disappeared becasue of the "hate" PMS etc after saying SSR was not right for thier family.

TeresaNJ said:
snip...Not to mention my big mouth, I can't stop telling people how great it is to go to WDW in October. :teeth:
Oh, so it's you we should be blaming for those October crowds then. ;)
Actually, this will be the first October in several years that we haven't been to WDW, and I'm really gonna miss those F&WF special things. Not that we've ever managed to make it to any of the really cool events, what with two little ones. Maybe in some future year...

Glad you've turned the corner on the plans TheresaNJ! Have fun!

gppnj said:
I figured BCV would be difficult if not impossible to book at the seven-month window in October, but I wouldn't have thought VWL would be totally unavailable then.

But I guess I'm partially to blame. I'll be in one of those VWL rooms during that time. :)

This was my first year booking a DVC resort for October and had been warned by veterans how difficult it would be getting an EPCOT resort, so I passed on it. I booked the VWL studio for 12 nights and never had to waitlist at all (Oct.15-27). I also booked a studio for 5 nights mid-vacation for my daughter and family and no problem getting her ressie either. I did the day by day reservation as I was warned to do. I have never done the day by day and found it stressful, especially the weekend wait. In the past I booked at the end of the trip/7 month date and when I booked my April trip I got the BWV/standard studio for 12 nights and didn't book day by day and got it in one call. I found out later that that was very lucky of me. I had been watching the boards and did see that BCV has members waitlisted before the 7 month window, so knew that would not work for us.

fishermouse said:
Probably did not want to listen to you whine about the evil SSR all week!

NO need to be ignorant!!! :rolleyes: Actually, the rest of the party doesn't even know that I wasn't able to get a reservation at the other resorts. I also never said that SSR was evil. Maybe you should read all the posts before you comment.

I really think 9/11 does have something to do with the feeling that it is more crowded! Almost every time there is a "buy where you want to stay" thread and someone says "I never have trouble booking at 7 months/6 months/5months" I look at when they joined DVC if it is on their signature and Yep, they joined right after 9/11. Well folks, you could get in anywhere in the first years after 9/11 - people were pretty freaked about traveling. Travel has increased pretty steadily since then.

Frankly as an "old timer" I remember when it was tough to get into almost anything onsite at Disney at certain times of the year, if you didn't book a year in advance! And I include regular hotels at rack rate in that statement.

And the OP is right about the Food & Wine Fest. We all have big mouths. DH and I used to use that as our little private getaway without kids and without work. We raved about it so much we ended up with friends and family wanting to go with us. This year we have relatives in the 2 bdrm with us and friends in a 1 bdrm. (And yes, I booked right at 11 months!) Now I'm whining that we need to get there a couple days early or stay later just to have our personal down time. My own fault. :teeth:

TeresaNJ said:
NO need to be ignorant!!! :rolleyes: Actually, the rest of the party doesn't even know that I wasn't able to get a reservation at the other resorts. I also never said that SSR was evil. Maybe you should read all the posts before you comment.

SORRY!! Actually I edited out the qoute you listed before reading your last post. your right very ignorant. Besides your from Jersey you can't be all bad. But I'm sure most SSR owners will agree the fact that we are constantly bashed and blamed for everything that goes wrong at any DVC resort is getting old. My apologies to all who were offended. I'm usually very jolly :banana:

mikesmom said:
Almost every time there is a "buy where you want to stay" thread and someone says "I never have trouble booking at 7 months/6 months/5months" I look at when they joined DVC if it is on their signature and Yep, they joined right after 9/11. Well folks, you could get in anywhere in the first years after 9/11 - people were pretty freaked about traveling. Travel has increased pretty steadily since then.
:

That date is when they joined the disboards. I just found the board about a year ago..

TeresaNJ said:

Fishermouse edited that post about two minutes after you responded! My, this one got heated in a hurry!

I hope you have a great vacation, I have been reading all these SSR threads with interest lately as I own 400 points there and couldn't be happier. I almost feel guilty I booked BWV for our April trip. I thought after two trips to SSR it would be nice to try something different. I had no idea unitl I began to recently visit this board that was a "no no" and that we SSR people were taking away somebody else's candy so to speak! Incidentally, I booked BWV in April during the Flower and Garden thing, 6 months out, standard view, one bedroom no problem. This whole debate just seems crazy to me. And I am amazed it doesn't get brought up more often that occupancy levels at WDW are up in general at all the resorts.

Chuck S said:
Could it also be BCV owners booking multiple reservations during the priority window? I certainly wouldn't blame the lack of availability solely on the owners at SSR. Some folks book multiple stays at their home resort and cancel at the last minute, or rent them out.

SSR bashing is unproductive, and frankly, tiresome.

Thank you for a voice of reason. Without hard facts, no one knows for sure why the OP was not able to book at 7 months.

As Chuck said it could be many factors, one of which; many people on these forums have really played up how wonderful it is to go to Food and Wine and stay at the BW or BC. Also you have Mickey's Halloween Party. More people are going to Disney right now that they have in years.

Also I really think there is a huge increase in renting and members booking prime weeks in advance to rent them out.

That practice bothers me more than any SSR member booking; as they are within their right to use their membership to book where ever they want. However members are not within their rights to use their membership for commercial purposes.

I find it interesting that the topic of Commercial Renting and it's effect on 7 month bookings is never mentioned much around here. :confused3

For you old timers (on the boards, I mean) like me, this sounds very reminiscent of the BWV/OKW debates that used to get quite heated! Many of those posters got so angry that they were asked to leave or banned. I hope that doesn't happen again. Of course, SSR was just a gleam in DVD's eye at that time, so we had no way of knowing that this sort of thing would continue. I guess when another large resort opens which is not (GASP!!) attached to a park, we may see the naysayers of SSR fade away and complain about the new one instead. I, for one, no longer spend the majority of my Disney time in the parks. I have not yet tried SSR, but I plan to and look forward to it.

As someone already pointed out, its not about SSR, it's about the increased DVC membership ( i'm told now about 100,000 ), I believe it was between 70-80K when I purchased in 2002. It just happens that most of those new members are SSR owners, so they get the bad rap for filling up other resorts at the 7 month window, I don't think it's about the resort.
I remember all the negative posts and reports about BCV, and I would get angry because it was where I owned. Now it's the most difficult resort to buy, either from Disney or re-sale, so I feel like I made a good investment.
I'm sure the same thing will happen when they begin selling the next DVC Resort, whatever and wherever it is.

The moral of the story is, as DVC membership continues to increase it is going to become more and more important to book at the 11 month window.
It's a shame but it's going to be a fact of life.

dianeschlicht said:
And if the most popular resort WAS the largest, it just might not be so popular anymore. That was not a well thought out statement. The charm of VWL and BCV just might be their lack of size.

The CHARM of BCV is SAB and being so close to Epcot too, If you read most of the threads of new members who buy SSR the main reason to stay at BCV is because they have small children and they want to try SAB.Not thats a bad thing!

Do the waitlist, hope it comes through for you.

I just booked VWL and they had the first and last week of October available with multiple choices of units, even 2 bedrooms. I did not want F& W I just wanted October. I booked the whole ressie at one time, no day by day.

Wow! What will all the VWL and BCV owner's do now their resort is full in October? Surely not book into SSR and take away booking opportunities for SSR owners. No, surely not! :rolleyes1

Well, I guess if they would sink that low, Halloween is in October, maybe they could wear a costume and mask so no one will recognize them as they go slumming. :clown: pirate:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter