Weight Watchers

LisaInNc

Succulent Wild Woman
I need to lose 15 pounds. I am having a lot of trouble doing it. I work out and eat pretty good so finding ways to cut calories have been difficult. I am considering weight watchers.

I really do well when I am challenged or held accountable.

So looking at it I was surprised that it was so expensive. I am already paying 85.00 a month for my Y membership. I really hate to devote more money to "upkeep"

What is the cheapest way to do it.

Thanks!!!

Lisa

I need to lose 15 pounds. I am having a lot of trouble doing it. I work out and eat pretty good so finding ways to cut calories have been difficult. I am considering weight watchers.

I really do well when I am challenged or held accountable.

So looking at it I was surprised that it was so expensive. I am already paying 85.00 a month for my Y membership. I really hate to devote more money to "upkeep"

What is the cheapest way to do it.

Thanks!!!

Lisa

Do you have a friend that you could do Weight Watchers with on your own and challenge each other of have a weigh in day and do it together? There is a lot of info online so that you could do any plan on your own.

Well it is cheaper to do the online version, but you said you "really do well when I am challenged or held accountable". For the online version, you are holding yourself accountable, so you really don't have anyone else to answer to. Find a friend (or maybe spouse) that will monitor your weight every week if you need someone to watch over you. Or try your family doctor.

One good point about weight watchers is that it is cheaper if you pay by the month instead of week to week. And once you've lost the weight and kept it off for their determined time (forget how long) you become a lifetime member. Being a lifetime member means you can attend meetings for free. So if you look at it that way, the price is a great deal and motivation for you to stick with it and lose the weight.

I think the cheapest way to follow the diet is to join for the first month and get all the supplies....book, calorie counter.

After that, you can do it on your own. There is a ton of info on the web about WW.

The WW web site has free community boards you can join and talk about your weight lost. They are not allowed to talk specifically about the program, but I can assure you that you will get the gist, and can hold yourself accountable there.

If you google WW many mock sites come up, one by a woman named Dotti is excellent, and has more than you need.

If you need a group and still do not want to pay WW, there is a long standing group called TOPS that is much cheaper and you weight in weekly. I have only been to one of these groups, and understand the quality can varry. So you need to seek it out and see for yourself.

I have lost weight with WW, but found that after a while that the points were basically 1 per 50 cal. with some minor variations for fat and fiber...but at basic level was 1 per 50. Since finding out the calories is fairly staight forward, the information is always available.

My best idea would be to check with your physican and see about a nutritionist consult who would set up an individual plan for you. Losing weight is half for most people, the other half is learning great eating habits.

Best wishes!

I do believe you can try online free for a week. Also, reg. is free right now at meetings, which ends this week.
You can do a monthly pass that is 39.95/month with meetings and online access. Or 12.00/week and pay as you go.
I joined 1 year ago and now work for ww. It was the best investment I ever made! I needed to relearn portions and what to eat. It is an investment in yourself~and you meet some really great people too!
Jen:goodvibes

I just started WW, did it online. I think it was 53 for three months. Then I think it is $17 a month after that. I belong to Sunshine Rewards, and got $4 back through that. Plus, there is a WW thread on their forum that I use to get help, support, etc. I track my weight online, but also we do it in the thread, so it is an extra accountability. Like it has been said, there is a ton of info on the web about WW. Good luck!

There's a great free website called Sparkpeople.com that has many tools and calorie counters, etc., and is a nice community.

I have lost weight with WW, but found that after a while that the points were basically 1 per 50 cal. with some minor variations for fat and fiber...but at basic level was 1 per 50.

I don't know if that's true. The minimum points with the WW Good Health Guidelines is 18 which would equate to only 900 calories per day + exercise which would burn even more calories. That would be unhealthy IMO.

You get activity points for exercise which you are supposed to eat, some don't, and you also get 35 extra weekly points to use as you desire, which would be 7 more per day.

My daughter is short and gets 23 per day (30 with the weekly subdivided), so I don't know many that would be 18...and that would be 25 with the 7 factored in before any additional activity points.

It is harder with fewer points, and your points are determined by your current weight, age, gender and activity level.

WW is the only diet that I've actually lost weight on. I joined for a bit and got the stuff to do it then went out on my own and do pretty good when I'm not sick. Between that and my Wii EA Active I'm good to go.

The WW formula for points you get per day is actually patented, and is on the internet for those who seek it. It takes into consideration your gender, age, current weight, height and daily activity level.

The benefit to WW (that Isaw when I was a member) was the group meets and cheering each other on. Granted, if you're shy, this may not be a benefit to you. But the point watching does does seem to help in terms of portion control. At least it does for me. YMMV.

You get activity points for exercise which you are supposed to eat, some don't, and you also get 35 extra weekly points to use as you desire, which would be 7 more per day.

My daughter is short and gets 23 per day (30 with the weekly subdivided), so I don't know many that would be 18...and that would be 25 with the 7 factored in before any additional activity points.

It is harder with fewer points, and your points are determined by your current weight, age, gender and activity level.

My m-i-l actually gets 18 points. She's 70 yrs old and about 4'10". :) She does use all of her 35 extra points and has lost 9# in 5 weeks.
If your health insurance is by United Health Care, your weekly fee is $11.

I am too cheap to actually join! I found all the information on line and follow the guidelines to a T. I'm very active and nothing was working for me. Until this! I've lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks. That was my goal weight, but I'm thinking of changing it!

Anyway, it's all about portion control. I am doing it with a friend from church, so I have the accountability. Maybe you could try that?

I did it at work last year with some co-workers & it is fun to have a group for support. However, it's not hard to do on your own if you can find ways to self-motivate & stick with it. I'm on it again now & my mom sent me a calculator to use for points. Like pp said, there are online forums & sometimes you can find the official stuff on ebay if you want the trackers, etc.

I really like it. It's super slow going for me now for some reason but I keep tracking points & hope the scale starts moving soon. It is nice to have the flexibility to eat "normal" stuff, just pay attention to how much & make healthy choices.

Try looking up the Wendie or Wendy (not sure of the spelling) plan its a good spin off of WW, especially when you hit a plateau. You said you belong to the Y, do they have any Personal Trainers there that will help you and give you a food plan for a minimal fee. My gym has PT's for a small fee they will take your measurements and give you a food plan and tell you how many of each type of food you should eat per day.

By the way, I'm a HUGE cheerleader when it comes to WW. It's not a diet - it's a lifestyle. If you follow the program, you learn healthy eating, portion control, and exercise habits that will last a lifetime.

I can say this because I have lost 75 pounds in the last 13 months by following WW. To me, it is worth every dollar I have spent for the improvement in my health.

I don't know if that's true. The minimum points with the WW Good Health Guidelines is 18 which would equate to only 900 calories per day + exercise which would burn even more calories. That would be unhealthy IMO.

I have found that to be true as well. 1 point is about 50 calories It is a little more than 50 cal. if you are eating high fiber food and a little less if the food has alot of fat. On the average that is about right. That is what I used as an estimate if I don't have fiber/fat information for a food when I was on WW.

I need the meetings.

I already know what to eat and how to do it. The problem is I don't always do it. So that is why the meeting and the accountability woul help me. My personality means that I thrive in a group.

I am not overweight. I am 5-5 an I wore a size 2 until my relationship with beef stew this winter. I was trying to perfect it. I did, and I gained 15 pounds in the process. I still look fine but a lot of my clothes doesn't fit and it's going to be cheaper to lose weight than to buy new stuff :rotfl:

I guess I will just pay it. I should be able to hit my goal pretty quickly. I am hoping for 2 pounds a week. I have roughly 15 pouns to lose.

thanks for all of your imput!

Lisa

I do www.sparkpeople.com - it has everything weight watchers on-line has - but is FREE! There is even an app for it so you can track on the go. It has worked for several people I personally know - and I have even converted a few WW friends who like this better. Now, if you need the accountability of an in person weigh in group maybe WW is best.
Here is more info:
http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/Spark_People/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter